PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the door lock barrel?

OzzieNorm
18th March 2012, 01:30 PM
I can't get the key to slide into the driver's side door lock - and have not been able to do so since I picked up the vehicle. Was one of those things I had to get around to fixing. So, today is the day.

I wish to remove the barrel - either to clean or to take to a locksmith to ascertain the why of the key not entering. [Key broken off inside?]

What is the barrel removal process? Please.

Pls see image.

I have removed the 'E' clip and the rod.

I also removed the slide-in 'U' clip against the door skin - but could not see what was its function , so, I reinstalled that clip.

What might be next?

Thanks

OzzieNorm
18th March 2012, 07:29 PM
Well. I have it out.

Pls see images.

Removed the 'E' clip;
Removed the actuating rod's tab;
Removed the 'U' clip - which needed a bit of gentle tapping...
Once I had the lock assembly out of the door, I removed the spring (and tried to remove the barrel).

The 'U' shaped clip pulls out flat to the door skin (but may beed a pair of pliers to assist the removal).

Can't see a purpose for the black flat piece attached to the U-clip - unless it is an 'umbrella' to keep the weather off the lock and barrel assembly.

The purpose of the spring seems to be to return the key to upright - whether turned clockwise or counter-clockwise. Before removing, note which end of the spring goes where - perhaps even take a photo - to aid reinstallation. :)

The 'E' clip holds the tab for the actuating rod in place on the end of the barrel.

The actuator's tab is 'slotted' - so, it can only go on in one place (and the slot causes the tab to rotate as the barrel rotates).

With hindsight, I recommend that the E-clip and tab and actuator rod NOT be removed BEFORE the lock assembly is removed from the door. If you flick/drop the E-clip when levering it off, it could end up just about anywhere inside the door cavity (and would be difficult to find/retrieve).

===

The barrel I removed is solidified into the lock housing/body. Chockers with coal dust - given the vehicle's history. Have hit with CRC/brake cleaner; but to no avail. Have tried soaking it in boiling water; again to no avail. Have tapped the barrel; but to no avail. Will try soaking overnight in petrol.

Likely I will just get another barrel - either new or second hand; and get that rekeyed to match mine.

[Guess if you always use the remote central locking via the key, the barrel never gets used, i.e., manually moved - with this result in extreme circumstances (like, my wagon worked on a coal mine for 5 years - and was likely never locked as it was never registered and never left the property).]

===
PS: To remove the overall catch assemble, I found it easier to remove the rear in-door window glass slide/guide/channel. On bolt at the bottom. And a lifting/half rotation of the guide to get the top 'tab'' out of its keeper slot. [Will post image.]

NissanGQ4.2
18th March 2012, 07:57 PM
Have copied it across to the DIY section as well, hope you don't mind.

Great bit of info :)