PDA

View Full Version : GUIV rear door trim removal

scotty83
17th March 2012, 01:35 PM
Have got this far and unclipped all the plastic clip on the trim edge. It appears as if there is probably a second screw under the righthand section of the arm rest. How do I get it off? didn't want to pull on it too hard incase there is a trick. Any help would be appreciated. 13629

Thanks ScottyB

TimE
17th March 2012, 02:47 PM
You just need to grab the end, using your finger tips and pull up. Clips will pop out OK, shouldn't break, mine haven't after 1/2 doz removals. You will find it easier in the future to remove the armrest before the silver bit.

OzzieNorm
18th March 2012, 01:22 PM
Have done this on 4 of my doors this weekend. }:-(

There are 5 plastic catches/tabs under the arm rest that clip into the long body beneath the armrest. 4 smaller ones run the parallel to the door (and located at front and centre) and one large one at the back that is perpendicular to the door skin.

Some people suggest pushing a wide flat blade screwdriver up (vertically) under the heel of the armrest - at the back side nearest the door catch; then bring the screwdriver up to the horizontal. And the top of the arm rest 'pops' off.

There are 3 screws in the armrest base that need to be removed in order for the trim to be largely free.

There is another screw under the cover of the internal door handle (which you may not have to remove - depending upon what is your goal. You will at least have to pry the surround off - sliding the screwdriver blade under the front (hinge) side of the cover at 1/3 rd height and then twist the screwdriver - gently. I overlooked this - and it popped itself off - when I was pulling the door trim away from the skin.
[Then there is the 'backing' behind the handle itself, which has 4 tabs. You will readily see those. I pry up the 2 top tabs - and the backing comes loose.]

I have found (on all doors) that the trim's lip into the window groove is tight - and that may else need some levering to get started. Gently... Naturally, put the window down first. ;)

No need to remove the speaker cover. These come off with the trim. The speakers are not attached to the door trim; being mounted into the metal of the door.

===
I see you have unclipped the electrical connector for the window control switch. I have found it easier to just unscrew the 2 screws hold the switch body to the covering. Personal choice.