PDA

View Full Version : Probe Placement for EGT and Boost

MC97GQ
15th March 2012, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I have just received my Digital Pyro and Boost Gauges from Auber Instruments and am now looking for the best advice as to where to fit the probes.

For the EGT probe, I was thinking here(see image below) as I can remove that section of pipe from the turbo to the tail pipe to drill the hole and remove all the metal filings.

For the MAP sensor I thought about removing the four bolts from where intake come into the inlet manifold and drilling a hole below where the silicon pipe comes in, which saves having to take the whole inlet manifold off.(see image below)

Would these spots be OK and would I get reasonably accurate readings, any help and advice is greatly appreciated

I will hopefully get some photos while I'm doing the job and do a bit of a write up for those who might be interested.

Mark

GeeCee
15th March 2012, 07:53 PM
You'll be right with those spots, especially as they are easy to do.
EGT is arguably better pre turbo, but requires more effort.

AB
15th March 2012, 08:37 PM
x2 most people on here would have post turbo so comparing would be easier too mate.

Those spots are good to go!

97_gq_lwb
15th March 2012, 08:47 PM
Or tap into the hose going to your actuator on the turbo.

MC97GQ
15th March 2012, 09:25 PM
Or tap into the hose going to your actuator on the turbo.

I assume for the MAP sensor, all the info I have researched seems to recommend putting the MAP sensor as close to, if not directly attached to the inlet manifold. I had thought of putting a boost controller tapped into the actuator hose. I am open to any and all ideas.

Thanks for the reply

Mark

MudRunnerTD
15th March 2012, 09:37 PM
I assume for the MAP sensor, all the info I have researched seems to recommend putting the MAP sensor as close to, if not directly attached to the inlet manifold. I had thought of putting a boost controller tapped into the actuator hose. I am open to any and all ideas.

Thanks for the reply

Mark

Yep do that.

I would not bother to remove the dump pipe to drill it though bud, it looks like you have plenty of room to drill in place, it is post turbo so the tailings will get blown out eh exhaust. No risk to your engine at all. Drill it in place mate.

97_gq_lwb
15th March 2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah it has got me i would have thought the pressure would equalize and it would not matter where you tap in.
I do remember something about a very slight pressure drop across an intercooler.
I tapped mine it at the actuator.

MC97GQ
15th March 2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks Mudrunner,

I had thought that, but I didn't want to tempt fate. The probe I got is a clamp on jobby so if I can leave the dump pipe it will save a heap of time.

Thanks again mate

Mark