PDA

View Full Version : New Tyres Needed, Any Suggestions?

Johnno
10th June 2010, 01:28 PM
Well my GQ is slowly getting there guys and I'm at the stage now to put on new tyres.

Ive always been using BFG's in the past but I'm finding i only get around 35,000km's out of them and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on other brands.

I'ts going to be my everyday car so I'm after something to hopefully get more km's out of.

Does anyone have any suggestions or what tyres are you running and how many km's do you get out of them?

Thanks in advance!

Timbo
10th June 2010, 01:46 PM
It really depends on the type of driving you want to do though. Sure, it''s your everyday car, but will you be going off road on weekend trips at all? How well do you expect to do?

I'd recommend a set of AT's if you're going to be mainly driving on sealed roads and only some off road work. I think most brands of AT's are fine. Maxxis do some great mid range tyres that are top value for money. Maxxis Bighorns are pretty good. Coopers are supposed to be good but I've heard mixed reviews. I think you have to get the super hard coopers tyres so they dont chip which I think are the STT's.

Big Horns (http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/MT-762-Bighorn.aspx)

Everyone has a personal opinion on tyres though. Some love Coopers, some hate Coopers etc etc.

my91gq
11th June 2010, 01:46 AM
im running xterrians at the moment there quiet a agressive trye but so far they are wearing well i bought the 50% worn of a mate who had done a 40,000km on them ive done about 10k and there down around 40% quiet a good mud tyre

Mark
11th June 2010, 10:02 AM
Theres been a lot of chat about the poor performance of Coopers lately.

There's a thread about them here too so it may pay to read that mate.

I actually have Coopers and don't recommend getting them but open for discussions as i think the STC's are still ok with a harder rubber compund.

Like what my91gq mentioned xterrains, BF's seem to be ok.

Having saying that, If It's mainly for on road use than you may be better off with the Cooper STC's as they probably will last longer for on road use than other brands.

panda
22nd June 2010, 10:52 PM
depens on the driving your doing... iv got a set of maxxis bravo's as road tyres... and they see the occasional easy trip.. and there holding up well. id deff buy them again.. cheap and a very well constructed tyre

Nissan Kid
24th June 2010, 09:57 PM
Well As said it depend's on the application, However i have not been hearing anything but good about the Silverstone MT117.
They Seem well priced for what they are and they were voted as the best value play tyres on the market
http://silverstonetyres.co.uk/images/mt117sr.jpg

Chris60
24th June 2010, 10:06 PM
interesting, I havent heard much about them.

Is anyone here using them?

feedback would be awesome to know.

Maxhead
24th June 2010, 10:10 PM
I've been running Maxxis Bighorns for a while now and can't fault them. Price was right at $260ea but they're a mud pattern so might not be right for you

Nissan Kid
24th June 2010, 10:36 PM
interesting, I havent heard much about them.

Is anyone here using them?

feedback would be awesome to know.
Here is a Tyre topic write up off Patrol 4x4, It may Help you out

patrol4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29780&highlight=silverstone

NOTE: DIRECT LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED DUE TO PATROL4X4's VIRUS PROBLEMS, ENTERING THE ABOVE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

KIND REGARDS

FORUM MANAGEMENT

93maverick
7th September 2010, 08:55 PM
might be a bit late to the post but i just got a set of Maxxis bighorns for $250 each them seem to be good so far havent taken them to far out yet but my mates been running them for awhile and seems to do the job and some, i had a set of BFG muddies but destroyed two in one night they were alright up till then

Finly Owner
7th September 2010, 10:14 PM
Well As said it depend's on the application, However i have not been hearing anything but good about the Silverstone MT117.
They Seem well priced for what they are and they were voted as the best value play tyres on the market
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

what are they worth to buy?

Dark 1
26th September 2010, 09:29 PM
I was looking at Federal Couragia M/T & Kumho KL71. Any opinions on these would be great. I do alot of dirt road, weekend warrior offroad & long distance touring with my mighty 4.2 wagon.
Any help appreciated , Kelvin.

DX grunt
26th September 2010, 09:59 PM
I was looking at Federal Couragia M/T & Kumho KL71. Any opinions on these would be great. I do alot of dirt road, weekend warrior offroad & long distance touring with my mighty 4.2 wagon.
Any help appreciated , Kelvin.

G'day and welcome Kelvin.

It'd be great if you could jump over to Introductions and tell us a bit about yourself and your truck. Thanks.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Maxhead
27th September 2010, 11:50 AM
For everyone,

Feel free to comment on your tyres in this section and give us some feedback on them
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Tyre-Brands-amp-Feedback

Cheers
Kris