PDA

View Full Version : drawer extension/ box

gregs
14th March 2012, 11:46 PM
Here are some pics of the rear drawer ext that I built for a trip back in 2010. Made out of 12mm ply, glued and screwed together. It is held down by 2 of the seat mount bolts and 6 x 6mm stainless steel turnbuckles. It is carpeted on the outside and most of the inside. I made a door for each side with barrel bolts to them keep closed and 2 hatches in the top with flush mount latches.
I rolled out a self inflating mattress on top of the box and slept on this for 4 weeks on the trip (Oh I forgot to mention in my intro that I am in a wheelchair (no legs, well not real ones anyway) so I only just fitted across the patrol.

Since that trip I have chopped it in half so we could use the 2nd row passenger seat but I don't have any pics of this as yet.

cheers

Greg

gregs
14th March 2012, 11:54 PM
here a few more pics

Greg

AB
15th March 2012, 09:15 AM
Very neat job mate, well done!

Tweakedoffroad
15th March 2012, 02:06 PM
Excellent job mate well done

Stropp
15th March 2012, 02:32 PM
looks great, job well done.

gregs
15th March 2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys. It took a bit of working out but I think I got there in the end. One thing that I did get wrong especially for sleeping was the height of the box as I would have to hunch over when I sat up. It could have been about 4" lower.

Hopefully others will take some ideas from this, that's what these forums are all about.

Cheers

Greg

MC97GQ
15th March 2012, 09:54 PM
Nice work Greg,

Hang onto that Patrol long enough and give it time, as you get older you'll get shorter and them draws will just the right height:tease:

Seriously though bloody nice set up mate

NissanGQ4.2
15th March 2012, 10:04 PM
Lucky you live so far away or I would have a job for you.

Very nice indeed

gregs
15th March 2012, 10:26 PM
MC97GQ, NissanGQ4.2, thanks guys. I actually call the box "the coffin" because with just a little push and shove (well you would have to chop my arms off too...bit like that monty python movie....) I could fit inside. The missus doesn't like the saying, but ah well you get that!!

Cheers

Greg

MC97GQ
17th March 2012, 02:38 AM
Ah, the Knights who say Ni!

Well chop my legs off and call me shorty.

as I said Greg nice work mate. At least in your troll you enjoy the sleep of the dead.

I have supplied too many quotes and references, it's time for bed.

Dark 1
17th March 2012, 09:28 AM
Top job mate, the mind is ticking over now.......how will that work in my ride.....hmmmm.

GUtsy ute
17th March 2012, 11:22 AM
Very nice set up Greg.
You've put a lot of thought and effort into it and it looks great.
Thanks for all the pics too.

Cheers Gavin

gregs
17th March 2012, 11:30 AM
Ah, the Knights who say Ni!

Well chop my legs off and call me shorty.

as I said Greg nice work mate. At least in your troll you enjoy the sleep of the dead.

I have supplied too many quotes and references, it's time for bed.

MC97GQ, what are you doing up at 1am still.....

Talking about the sleep of the dead, when I went on a trip across the country with a mate in 2010, I slept in the patrol and he slept on a stretcher in his swag with his C-PAP machine hummimg away all night (yep he snores like 10 chainsaws at full noise) and with the little computer fan running to keep me cool I couldn't hear him. If he slept near a cemetery he would wake them all up....LOL

gregs
17th March 2012, 11:39 AM
Dark1, GUtsy ute, thanks guys. Like I said it has taken me a number of years to get it to this stage and it was only when we were looking to go on a trip that I would start to play and change things around or make a new item to fit. Actually that reminds me I made another couple of things that bolt into the back and I will have to get them out and take some pics.

Cheers

Greg

tmijnhout
25th March 2012, 11:38 PM
Looks neat as mate very impressed.

tmijnhout
25th March 2012, 11:39 PM
Do you have a fridge in the back as well?

rusty_nail
26th March 2012, 06:43 AM
love the pics mate! there are so many threads on people who have mae some drawers for their patrol on here and the www, but everyones setup is different and equally as good for different reasons. thanks for sharing!

cheers

nic

gregs
26th March 2012, 10:25 PM
love the pics mate! there are so many threads on people who have mae some drawers for their patrol on here and the www, but everyones setup is different and equally as good for different reasons. thanks for sharing!

cheers

nic

rusty_nail, thanks, glad you like the pics. Yeah mate there are so many different setups around and it's great to see others sharing their designs on these forums. The forum are where I get most of my ideas from, plus I come up with some wacked out ones for myself...LOL

It doesn't matter how simple or complicated the drawers are there is always someone out there that will get something out of it. I just wish I wrote all my measurements and plans down, this way I could have put these up as well, maybe next time.

Cheers

Greg

frenzy
26th March 2012, 11:14 PM
nice work mate.

BEP120
29th March 2012, 01:10 PM
Hey nice job. I custom built mine as well with more options than a purchased one. It is worth sitting down and thinking long and hard about it before you start as you have obviously done.
Well done.

Trolatron
29th March 2012, 09:59 PM
Damit Greg now I want to start mine all over again....:D

Just wondering what the fan is there for.

gregs
1st April 2012, 11:52 AM
Frenzy and BEP120, thanks guys. You're right there BEP120 it is a good idea to sit down and work out what you want but the beauty of doing it yourself is that you can change your plans as you go along or if you are like me you can just keep making and adding stuff to the system over a few years to suit whatever trip I have coming up.

Cheers

Greg

gregs
1st April 2012, 12:03 PM
Damit Greg now I want to start mine all over again....:D

Just wondering what the fan is there for.

Mate the fan keeps me cool when I sleep on top of the box on a self inflating mattress. I just fold the door down flip the fan up and plug it in to one of the 12v points I have scattered around the patrol. The reason it folds down is that the door wouldn't close otherwise. It does a good job although a little bit like a giant mossie about to attack but once you get used to it the noise isn't an issue. I have another 2 12v computer fans joined together that have a couple of small brackets that I turned into hooks, and these hook onto the rear seat passenger grab rail. The power for these comes via a cig plug and the cable is long enough to reach a couple of different points around the cabin.

Cheers

Greg

msw21
3rd April 2012, 07:03 PM
looks gr8 mate neat and tidy

gregs
3rd April 2012, 09:04 PM
Do you have a fridge in the back as well?

Mate sorry I haven't replied to you, I didn't even see your post until now, my apologies. Yeah we do put the fridge (50L waeco) in the back, it goes on the left side. I built the box so we could pack to the roof with gear and stll be able to get to the fridge.

Cheers

Greg

gregs
3rd April 2012, 09:17 PM
looks gr8 mate neat and tidy

Thanks msw21. It looks ok from a bit of distance but when you look close you can see that there is 5 different shades of grey marine carpet. Each time I added to it I couldn't remember which carpet I used the last time and I thought that looks like it so I got it, then found that it didn't match.....Oh well....it still does the job though and thats all that counts.

Cheers

Greg

jimbeamteam
30th April 2012, 09:20 PM
very impressive,

luwachuwa
30th April 2012, 09:38 PM
love it mate,got similat ideas for my truck coming soon!