PDA

View Full Version : Will a Tb42 transfer case fit on td42

Danger
14th March 2012, 10:53 AM
I'm looking for a second hand transfer case for my 89 gq lwb td42. Does anyone know if all gq's have the same transfer case or what other model gq's have the same transfer case. There seems to be a lot of tb42's getting parted out cheap.

nissannewby
14th March 2012, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty sure all the transfer cases are the same its only the gearboxes that were different. Having said that the td and tb gearboxes are the same just a different bellhousing so yes it will fit.

AB
14th March 2012, 11:59 AM
x 2 they will fit mate and It's just the bell housing that needs to be changed.

ripper
7th April 2012, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure about diesel and petrol ones, but there is definitely more than one type of transfer case. I've got two different ones here.
The difference between mine is in the length of the input shafts. Both are for automatics, and you have to have the right auto with the right transfer case.

Robo
14th April 2012, 11:13 PM
so as long as the gear box and t-case are from a manual swapping is ok?.
even for maverick.
for entire run of gq and da maverick?
"around 10 years worth"??

nissannewby
14th April 2012, 11:16 PM
so as long as the gear box and t-case are from a manual swapping is ok?.I would believe so. Thats interesting to hear about the ones off the autos is the much difference in the shaft lengths?

Robo
14th April 2012, 11:19 PM
I would believe so. Thats interesting to hear about the ones off the autos is the much difference in the shaft lengths?

just remembered.
Box from rb30 patrol is different'. I believe it's oem 300zx 5 speed box
incase someone grabs a rb30 box by mistake

ripper
14th April 2012, 11:30 PM
Thats interesting to hear about the ones off the autos is the much difference in the shaft lengths?

A bit over 10mm. Just enough to be a really annoying.
Both transmissions fitted TB42s.

Dhuck
14th April 2012, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure about diesel and petrol ones, but there is definitely more than one type of transfer case. I've got two different ones here.
The difference between mine is in the length of the input shafts. Both are for automatics, and you have to have the right auto with the right transfer case.

Very true. Don't try to add parts from one to the other. I saw a very bodgy job of grinding down the input shaft to make it mount up.

Dave