PDA

View Full Version : What oil????

Boomtiki
13th March 2012, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first question I've needed to ask as I always find the answers to my questions in previous peoples questions. I went to Repco today & asked for some oil for my 2007 GU IV DX 3.0 Patrol & they asked if I had a particulate filter or not as that determines what oil I need to put in.
I don't have a manual as yet so I don't know where to find out this info.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

Bigrig
13th March 2012, 07:03 PM
Didn't think the oil dictated the filter at all? Moreso, you use the right oil for the truck and the filter simply needs to be a good one. News to me mate but no doubt others will have input.

AB
13th March 2012, 07:38 PM
I can't see that making any difference at all mate.

Use Caltex Dello 400 or even Shell Rimula 3X will do.

Nissan recommends engine oil to comply to Jaso DH-1.

Here's a good read of another thread mate. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?264-What-Oil-Do-You-Use-for-Diesel-Engines&p=41354

cairnsGU
13th March 2012, 08:09 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first question I've needed to ask as I always find the answers to my questions in previous peoples questions. I went to Repco today & asked for some oil for my 2007 GU IV DX 3.0 Patrol & they asked if I had a particulate filter or not as that determines what oil I need to put in.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

Yes it does matter.:jawdrop:
A diesel particulate filter is located in the exhaust, This requires LOW ASH oil and regular oil as far as i know is not suitable and will cause faults . I think they are limited to the common rail models, 2007 up ?
Contact nissan for correct advise.

Dan

Maxhead
13th March 2012, 09:05 PM
The Patrol never had the DPF so won't need the special oil like its brother Navara. Delo will do the job

cairnsGU
14th March 2012, 08:35 PM
Pretty certain the common rails do

Boomtiki
15th March 2012, 01:30 AM
Wow, thanks AB, that was a good read, heaps of info, makes changing oil sound exciting again to see what effects or differences each make, will start taking notes on all of the differences. Thanks.

Boomtiki
15th March 2012, 01:37 AM
Cheers Dan, I took your advice & contacted Nissan, from what the guy at Nissan tells me your right, it does make a huge difference & will cause a world of trouble if you use a the wrong oil with a car fitted with a DPF but he assures me it was only Navaras that came out with the DPF's not Patrols.

Maxhead
15th March 2012, 06:28 AM
Cheers Dan, I took your advice & contacted Nissan, from what the guy at Nissan tells me your right, it does make a huge difference & will cause a world of trouble if you use a the wrong oil with a car fitted with a DPF but he assures me it was only Navaras that came out with the DPF's not Patrols.

It is amazing how many so called mechanics and even Nissan dealers don't know if the Patrol has a PDF. Glad you got the answer mate.

cairnsGU
10th April 2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks for clearing that up...I am still certain that they do..
I have been known to be wrong lol

Coogs
11th April 2012, 05:19 PM
Sorry, this reply is probably too late but just came across your question. I'm a newbie myself but had to find out if my GU7 Y61 3LTD CRD had a DPF filter. Phone your nearest dealer with vehicle VIN number and they can tell you straight away. By the way I don't have a DPF and there's no mention of a DPF in my owners manual.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.