PDA

View Full Version : What are those metal tubes running up the side of the ZD30 auto trans?

OzzieNorm
13th March 2012, 03:16 PM
There are 2 metal tubes that come down the passenger side chassis rail from the engine bay; then cross UNDER the exhaust via plastic tubing; then go up the passenger side of the auto trans as metal tubes.

Pls see attached image.

What is the function/purpose of these tubes?

As may be seen, the 2 tubes are 'open' - and may have been for some time. :(

I can reconnect one rubber tube to a metal tube easily enough. In this case, the black plastic contains a bit of broken-off metal tube. Secure with hose clamps.
[Simple reconnection is probably better than unconnected! :)]

Then I need to get another plastic connector and connect up the other run.

Likely to be a lot of coal dust up those tubes - given how long this vehicle work at a coal mine...
What should I do first? Flush with soapy water?? Blow out with compressed air? Both?

Note the difficulty accessing the other end of the tubes above the trans.
The ends in the engine bay disappear into a caving in the front guard - behind the radiator coolant overflow tank.

For advice pls.

Thanks

taslucas
13th March 2012, 03:35 PM
they may be the breather lines for the transmision and transfer case....

taslucas
13th March 2012, 03:38 PM
A couple more photos might help too...

Sir Roofy
13th March 2012, 03:39 PM
not sure on this but i think that they are a breather pipe for the tranny
had similar pipes on the 4.5auto i use to have

forgot how corrosive caol dust can be

MudRunnerTD
13th March 2012, 03:40 PM
ghee terrible photo!! man there is some Rust there!!

I dont have a ZD30 but from your description i'd say they are factory breather lines and that is consistent with how Nissan ran the factory diff breathers the same way to the same place, i think you have a Transmission breather. You should think about dumping the fluid out of the trans mission and the diffs as they will be full of crap now if you have not done that already. If they are breathers then a bit of wire to clear them then hook up a hose and your done.

beansathome
13th March 2012, 03:55 PM
they are breather hoses for the trans
i had to fix mine last year this is what they should look like lol
i would have no idea on how to flush i would reverse flushed with a air gun and then changed the trans fluid.
or even better would be to push trans fluid threw then this would stop the dust from coating everything in the box. if had to do it i would use a tran top up bottle from repco its just a 1.5L container with a pump top and a hose attached this would easily make a seal and push the crap if any threw the pipe. probably best to finish with a trans fluid change

OzzieNorm
13th March 2012, 04:01 PM
A couple more photos might help too...

Two additional images posted:
One of the lines entering the engine bay from the front guard/wheel arch;
And the other of the tubes rising up the side of the tran.

OzzieNorm
14th March 2012, 09:06 AM
they are breather hoses for the trans
i had to fix mine last year this is what they should look like lol
i would have no idea on how to flush i would reverse flushed with a air gun and then changed the trans fluid.
or even better would be to push trans fluid threw then this would stop the dust from coating everything in the box. if had to do it i would use a tran top up bottle from repco its just a 1.5L container with a pump top and a hose attached this would easily make a seal and push the crap if any threw the pipe. probably best to finish with a trans fluid change
Thanks for your photo and input. Your suggestions are appreciated.

In my original image is a corner of the tran's sump - with an evident oil leak, which is one of the reasons that the vehicle failed its rego inspection. The vehicle is going into a transmission service to have the pan gasket replaced - and for a trans service, which will get it a new filter and fluid. While the vehicle is up on the hoist, I'll get the guy to change the transfer and diff oils + check the rest of the breather lines. [Engine oil is due for a change in 3000k, so, it can wait till then.]

Thanks again.