PDA

View Full Version : Home made rear drawer system

gregs
12th March 2012, 11:05 PM
Here is a few pics of the rear drawer system that I have built up over the last few years. The whole system is built using 12mm ply and glued and screwed together with some 42 x 19mm pine bracing in the corners. The whole lot is carpeted in about 5 different shades of grey marine carpet (because it was built over a number of years and I couldn't remember what I used last time)
The fridge slide and surround (box) are a seperate unit and bolted on using about 10 x 1/4" bolts. Bolted to the left side of the fridge box is a small carpeted box that holds the butane cartridges and are wrapped in wetsuit style stubbie coolers, and the 2 portable gas stoves live directly below. This makes them easy to get at when needed. There is a top shelf that is bolted to the top of the fridge box and to the hand grip that used to be for the 3rd row seat, this has a drop down door to make getting stuff in and out easier.
There is a 90ah fullriver agm behind the r/h drawer (part of the triple battery setup) and a mega grunt 12v compressor permanently mounted to the r/h side, a 6 fuse distribution box behind the r/h facia panel. A 50amp anderson plug and 6B&S cable joins the rear drawer wiring to the front agm battery under the bonnet.
I have screwed on a couple of kitchen pantry spice holders to the outside of the actual drawers and these hold all sorts of things and on the back (facing the front of the patrol) I have screwed a cheap hold all from bunnings.
The drawers are held in by 3 bolts using the existing bolt holes in the floor and with and 3 stainless steel turn buckles and 'd' shackles. This has proved to be very effective in securing this setup and hasn't moved at all during our trips.

Greg

LittleJohn
12th March 2012, 11:17 PM
Absolutely brilliant.
That's the shizzle ! 10/10

gregs
12th March 2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks LittleJohn. It has taken quite a while to get it to this stage, but when I go to change vehicles I will have a look at recarpeting the whole thing so it looks like one unit not some thing from picasso lol...I have even thought about making a complete new unit out of alloy but I reckon it will get expensive very quickly, but the upside is I should gain some extra space and everything will be neater.

cheers

Greg

Tweakedoffroad
12th March 2012, 11:51 PM
Fantastic job mate well done looks like a few frothys have gone into the thinking, planning and building each section

Clunk
12th March 2012, 11:54 PM
Greg, that is one impressive set up you have there mate, i'd struggle to put a set of ikea drawers in mine!!!!!!!! Lol

Maxhead
13th March 2012, 06:42 AM
Puts my home made jobbies to shame...LOL. Good job Greg

gregs
13th March 2012, 07:56 AM
Fantastic job mate well done looks like a few frothys have gone into the thinking, planning and building each section

Tweakedoffroad, thanks. It took a while to work out what I wanted (and I did have a couple of bourbons in the process :)) and I sort of got there in the end, but the grey matter still thinks...is there a better way to this or do that or if I change this maybe it will be better. Unfortunately my brain just doesn't stop, I wish it would it would make my life a lot easier.

Cheers

Greg

gregs
13th March 2012, 08:04 AM
Greg, that is one impressive set up you have there mate, i'd struggle to put a set of ikea drawers in mine!!!!!!!! Lol

clunk71, thanks mate. Ikea drawers would probably fall apart anyway....;)

cheers

Greg

gregs
13th March 2012, 08:10 AM
Puts my home made jobbies to shame...LOL. Good job Greg

NissPat, thanks mate. I just took ideas from a lot of places and turned out what you see. I did think about getting a custom setup from one of the manufacturers but what they ask just for the drawers was way out of my price range. So I thought...what the hell, make my own, and so I went a bit nuts with some ply and a jigsaw. I do have a couple of small changes to do to this setup but hopefully that won't turn into a major rebuild (like I normally do LOL).

cheers

Greg

Sir Roofy
13th March 2012, 09:30 AM
The mind boggles ,there are so many different ideas out there
chop here add there can i fit this in or hang that there

lol mate great job ,and your right the factory
jobs are way over priced

Trolatron
13th March 2012, 09:22 PM
Great job mate, I feel for ya I'm the same too scared to make a decision because as soon as I go ahead and do it then I see a better way and want to change it.

gregs
13th March 2012, 10:53 PM
The mind boggles ,there are so many different ideas out there
chop here add there can i fit this in or hang that there

lol mate great job ,and your right the factory
jobs are way over priced

Thanks roofy. Yeah I couldn't justufy the prices they are asking for some of their systems, and the missus certainly wasn't going to give me the money to buy a custom setup.

Cheers

Greg

gregs
13th March 2012, 11:05 PM
Great job mate, I feel for ya I'm the same too scared to make a decision because as soon as I go ahead and do it then I see a better way and want to change it.

Trolatron, thanks mate. The beauty of doing it yourself is that you can change your mind as you go along, and building it out of ply is a really cheap way of doing it. A sheet of 12mm ply at bunnings is about $35 so if you do change things it isn't going to break the bank. Don't ever to be too scared to change it or chop it up, I made a 2nd row seat extension (for a boys trip back in 2010) to line up with the top of the drawers, this was about 1200mm wide and for a trip the family went on I cut it in half so I still had storage beside our daughter that didn't impede on her seat.

Cheers

Greg

nowoolies
13th March 2012, 11:43 PM
wow sweet as mate
hows my set going you finished them yet lol

gregs
14th March 2012, 10:55 PM
wow sweet as mate
hows my set going you finished them yet lol

nowoolies, thanks.

But mate, I wouldn't be holding my breath if I was you as it has taken me over 5 years to get it to this stage, you might be a nice shade of blue by then....LOL

cheers

Greg

Boofa
20th March 2012, 11:08 PM
good work looks like yourve done a neat job

gregs
21st March 2012, 10:24 PM
good work looks like yourve done a neat job

Thanks Boofa. The best thing about timber is when you make small boo boos you can get away with it, and marine carpet is wonderful at hiding all them boo boo's. If I go to make another set of drawers I will do a couple of things differently, like make one of the drawers wider and the other skinnier and longer so I only have to open the small door to get to it. That maybe a while off but I am still thinking about it all........it just never stops......

Cheers

Greg

frenzy
22nd March 2012, 12:04 AM
nice work mate. very nice

Rick111
22nd March 2012, 02:43 PM
I am new to this site, but I have looked at things here before and I am always amazed at the ideas & the quality of the work that people are doing, great job!!

gregs
22nd March 2012, 09:50 PM
frenzy, Rick111 cheers guys.

Rick111, mate I am not sure on the quality side of things, especially if you were to compare it to a black widow or arb etc etc, but then again mine doesn't come with their price tag either, but with a little bit of know how, a few power tools (or a good mate that has these) a few sheets of plywood, plenty of screws and a tub of glue it is amazing what you can do.

Cheers

Greg

TMC
30th April 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm with you about the alloy Greg's. Do you think you it would weigh that much less, compared to price?

And real tidy build mate. Thanks for sharing.