PDA

View Full Version : NEW CB Radio Choices Uniden UH7760NB or a GME 3540.

Retired and loving it
12th March 2012, 07:29 PM
Hello,
It seems there is an evolution of new gadgets all the time with changing technology, We are up for a new compact UHF CBi to go in the new 4BY, Can anyone comment on the best choice from experience of a either a Uniden UH7760NB or a GME 3540.
Both are units with controls on the mic. and main unit out of site under the dash etc. I have looked on the web and cannot find any comments about the pros & conns of either.
Appreciate anyhelpful comments
Cheers Don

Maxhead
12th March 2012, 07:35 PM
I just purchased the GME3540 as I think they are a great radio, I'm a bit bias as all I have ever owned is GME and I have never ever had any issues with them and they have a superior audio quality.

taslucas
12th March 2012, 08:20 PM
Hi mate, I have the Uniden UH7700NB (same as the Uniden your looking at but without handset controls). I find it easy to use with good features. But it is the only uhf I have owned so I can't personally compare it.
Sounds like you have more knowledge on this Nisspat:-)

Lucas

Finly Owner
12th March 2012, 09:33 PM
I can guarantee you won't go wrong with either of them! Both are Brands that have stood the test of time. They boyh have reliability, quality audio, and usually very capable of handling rough terrain(vibration etc). I can"t offer exacy yestament for these 2 models, but I would definately be choosing one of them if I was ready to purchase one. I am going on my past experience with CBs & UHFs overthe years.

Tim

the evil twin
13th March 2012, 12:12 AM
Either will do the job admirably. The Unidens are normally a few dollars cheaper but shop around and buy whichever set you can get the best deal on.

Silver
13th March 2012, 03:08 AM
I've been a fan of ICOM over the years on the advice of a radio tech acquaintence, and to a slightly lesser degree, GME, and have had both in other cars over the years, in handhelds, and the tinny.

That said, I have been very happy with the tiny Uniden the local auto leccie pointed me to. It is about as big as a deck of playing cards and is thus easy to find a mounting spot. Although the speaker is small, it seems to have no trouble coping with the competition in my old GQ. And from memory it was $300 including an antenna. I've only had it for a few months, so cannot comment on the longevity of the head unit, mike or antenna, but, so far, so good!

Finly Owner
13th March 2012, 11:00 PM
Hey Rick, can you plug an external speaker into it if needed?

Tim

Silver
13th March 2012, 11:16 PM
This is the one I bought, Tim - it has an inbuilt speaker, and a socket for an external

http://digicomwireless.com.au/uniden-uh7700nb-uhf-radio-wantenna/

Olbis have some better packages than the deal I got from the local auto leccie, never dealt with Olbis so don't take that as a recommendation

http://www.olbis.com.au/ap_template/subcat_uhf.asp

Rick

bordertech
22nd March 2012, 10:54 PM
Hey Rick, can you plug an external speaker into it if needed?

TimAll Unidens have an external speaker socket

Deazle
2nd April 2012, 06:56 PM
I Find Uniden Have A Very Muffled Transmission Quality On The Receiving In Another Vehicle As Where GME Are Crystal Clear Very Easy To Tell Who Is Talking To You.

commsman
20th March 2013, 03:16 PM
I started with a number of Uniden CB's many years ago now and back in those days they had one particular failure point. The microphone lead ws too short and too stiff and regularly cracked either the circuit board at the join of the radio or the connector came loose from the board. I had two of mine personally go on me and fixed a number of others also. I know Uniden have come to the remote mics now (which are very good for usability), but I personally changed my buying choice over to GME for AM CB's (the old 27 MHz), and Icom for UHF.

The GME's are Australian made. That's always a plus for both the Auusie economy and service and support.

The Icom's are Japanese made and are manufactured on the basis of a commercial radio so will always stand up to a lot more torture (generally good when it comes to a 4WD).

I note a comment on the audio on the Uniden and I agree the Uniden, and to a lesser degree the GME both suffer audio problems. Some of this can be fixed with an external speaker, but again the Icom audio generally outperforms that of both the Uniden and the GME.

As for antennas, there are a LOT of cheap nasty and horrible antennas on the market. By far the best antennas I have ever used are in the GME and the Laser brands of antennas.

The best antenna you can get is a hole in the roof because of the ground plane of the roof line. I did this on my first Patrol, but suffered the effects of passing under low lying branches on a number of occassions and ripping the antennas out of the roof. Whilst it isn't as good (performance wise) generally a ground independant antenna or a Mopole antenna mounted on a bull bar or a bonnet guard are an excellent choice of antenna and location for a four wheel drive. Firstly they perform well for most general situations, after all you're not trying to talk to the moon, generally it is just your mates who are normally somehwere in the near vicinity. Secondly the bonnet area is great because it is out in front of you and you can see what it might be about to hit and can generally screw the antenna off if it is going to get into trouble.

There are now a number of other cheap and nasty CB radios in the market, some of which haven't even been approved by the ACMA for use in Australia. I haven't used or experienced any of these so I can't comment on them, but I would be wary buying them especially when there is a proven record for the other brands and they really aren't all that expensive.