PDA

View Full Version : Need some help choosing tyres.

Kano
12th March 2012, 08:21 PM
Im Kano from Perth. I have a GU Patrol 2.8 LTD. At the moment the patrol has maxxis 750 Bravos on it but they have worn down after around 50,000km and had two punctures in 6 months. I have been thinking about putting 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns on it as I do want to start doing more offroad trips.

My question is can these be used for weekday city/suburban driving on the blacktop and then weekends offroad such as beach driving and 4wd tracks or would they get to worn down around the city during the week? (I have been quoted $295 a tyre fitted at BobJane Tmarts)

Maxhead
12th March 2012, 08:30 PM
Im Kano from Perth. I have a GU Patrol 2.8 LTD. At the moment the patrol has maxxis 750 Bravos on it but they have worn down after around 50,000km and had two punctures in 6 months. I have been thinking about putting 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns on it as I do want to start doing more offroad trips.

My question is can these be used for weekday city/suburban driving on the blacktop and then weekends offroad such as beach driving and 4wd tracks or would they get to worn down around the city during the week? (I have been quoted $295 a tyre fitted at BobJane Tmarts)

The Bighorn is a good tyre mate, I had them on my last Patrol and give them 9/10. the missing one is for noise, bloody noisy but a small price to pay for a great performance and cheap tyre. I do around 50/50 tar to dirt and the wear factor was pretty good, I reckon I would have probably got 50-60000k's out of them

Kano
12th March 2012, 09:14 PM
Hey NissPat, Thanks for your reply. That's great to hear that the Bighorn does perform well and to get that amount of k's i'd be happy with. I think i'll go ahead and get them.

Maxhead
12th March 2012, 09:23 PM
Also have a look here if you haven't already : http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?902-Tyre-Feedback-Maxxis

Finly Owner
12th March 2012, 10:23 PM
Kano, what sort of off road are you planning? A good AT tyre will get you most places unless you are planninhg doing a lot of more serious stuff.

Tim

Kano
12th March 2012, 11:16 PM
Hey Tim. Nah I wont be doing anything to serious yet. I've been doing quite abit of soft sand driving and hoping to do mud/rock/gravel tracks soon. Due to the prices of parts I was thinking of building the car up slowly.

Clunk
12th March 2012, 11:35 PM
Hey Tim. Nah I wont be doing anything to serious yet. I've been doing quite abit of soft sand driving and hoping to do mud/rock/gravel tracks soon. Due to the prices of parts I was thinking of building the car up slowly.

G'day Kano, if your not going to be doing a great deal of mud you maybe better off going for an All terrain tyre, better for the road and sand........ I went through the whole decision making thing myself a couple of months ago and ended up getting Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ........ For me I just felt that muddies were to extreme a tyre for the type of driving I'd be doing.

Just thought I'd put that one out there

nissannewby
12th March 2012, 11:49 PM
I spent the extra coin and put bfg km2's on my patrol these tyres a bloody awesome for a mud tyre handle great in the wet and dry road noise is to be expected from such a tyre but isnt over powering and offroad these tyres are great i did a lot of research before purhcasing these and found people to be getting at least 80,000 out of a set.

Kano
13th March 2012, 12:50 AM
G'day Kano, if your not going to be doing a great deal of mud you maybe better off going for an All terrain tyre, better for the road and sand........ I went through the whole decision making thing myself a couple of months ago and ended up getting Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ........ For me I just felt that muddies were to extreme a tyre for the type of driving I'd be doing.

Just thought I'd put that one out there

Hey Mate, yeah as I think about what everyone has said and reading other posts I will look at the Mickey Thompson ATZ. I heard at Ardross tyre centre the 5 rib ATZ was $350 each for 265/75/R16. Do you know if the 4 rib is much more then this? or would you know any other places in Perth to contact for ATZ's?

Clunk
13th March 2012, 01:02 AM
Hey Mate, yeah as I think about what everyone has said and reading other posts I will look at the Mickey Thompson ATZ. I heard at Ardross tyre centre the 5 rib ATZ was $350 each for 265/75/R16. Do you know if the 4 rib is much more then this? or would you know any other places in Perth to contact for ATZ's?

4 ribs should be around the same sort of price, maybe a little more, I paid just over 1900 for 5 of 33*12.5*15 but that included new steel rims too. Give Tim at Opposite Lock a call in Midland or Perth 4x4 in Balcatta, it may pay to shop around

Lambroast
14th March 2012, 01:35 PM
Hey Kano,

I just paid $365 a corner for Mickey Thompson ATZ 285/75x16 4 rib at Perth 4x4 in Balcatta. A little road noise, but nothing like the old Cooper S/T's I had.
they're a 60/40 tyre. Would have gone for the STZ's but they don't come in the same size. I think they're more 80/20. 265/70x16 in STZ were $355 each.

Good Luck
Simon