PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter

nickpeacock36
11th March 2012, 09:04 PM
I am having a few dramas with my ZD30. The engine light came on shortly after transferring fuel from the sub to main tank, The manual says it could be water in fuel or a management issue. I assumed it must have been water in the sub tank, so i let some through the drain pipe into a container and left it for a while and it didnt seperate into water/fuel. The engine starts no problem but i have note that after i have primed the engine and got resistance, after i have started it i can still easily push the pump and prime it again running or not. the engine starts and runs for a while without the light, revving fine but then it comes on again and revs slowly building to full revs. any suggestions ? should i be able to push the primer once started, i dont think it used to do that.

Bigrig
11th March 2012, 09:43 PM
Hope someone can assist mate - sincerely sorry to see it happen today ...

nissannewby
11th March 2012, 10:05 PM
I would change the filter to start with it could have push through some gunk and has clogged your filter.Once you have primed it will use this fuel easily then as it can only pull so much through a clogged filter then it cause these symptons. This might not be the problem but is the simplest place to start.

nickpeacock36
11th March 2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks nissannewby i had planned to change the filter and will let you know how it goes. It could have been worse Scotty, if we had been in the middle of nowhere it would have ruined the trip. It will get sorted for the next trip.

Yendor
11th March 2012, 10:54 PM
Sorry mate I don't know about the fuel primer, I would of thought it should be firm.

My truck will be back in about an hours time, I can check for you then.

You could also try checking for fault codes.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?595-Reading-and-erasing-GU-Patrol-fault-codes&highlight=reading+codes

Thanks to Ynot for that thread.

Good luck with it.

Cheers Rodney

nickpeacock36
13th March 2012, 07:15 PM
I would change the filter to start with it could have push through some gunk and has clogged your filter.Once you have primed it will use this fuel easily then as it can only pull so much through a clogged filter then it cause these symptons. This might not be the problem but is the simplest place to start.

Filter didn't fix it, she's off to the mechanics in the morning. Fingers crossed for something cheap.

nissannewby
14th March 2012, 12:36 AM
fingers crossed for ya too mate hopefully something very simple

nickpeacock36
15th March 2012, 08:04 PM
It now looks like it is a problem with the fuel pump. $3600 for a exchange unit fitted, ouch.

MC97GQ
15th March 2012, 08:09 PM
nick,

$3600 Fek, how much to rebuild the pump, surely couldn't cost that much, mate that is really bad news.

I hope you can work out a far cheaper solution.

Mark

nickpeacock36
16th March 2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks Mark
I was told a new pump from Nissan was over $8000, cheapest exchange unit i found was $3000 from Denco so the price is about right.

nissannewby
16th March 2012, 10:04 AM
Yes they do get rather expensive with the direct and common rail motors 3k is a pretty good price for one of these i have known someone that had to get the fuel pump and a few other things ended up giving nissan about 10k

nickpeacock36
31st March 2012, 02:06 PM
Yep it was the fuel pump. She's all fixed and ready to roll again thanks to the boys at KM Diesel in Brendale $3600 for a service exchange pump supplied and fitted.