PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing a Gen III V8 engine swap on a GU ?

jpvm
12th September 2010, 10:00 AM
As said my dear Patrol family, is there anyone in here doing this or anyone with experience ? I've bought a LM7 Gen III V8 (its a 2004 5.3 V8 out of a Chevy Sliverado, Yukon, Tahoe) , its still in the US however.

Understand there is Marks Adapters for Gen III V8 to GU 5 speeds that wre well known and proved in AUS.

patch697
12th September 2010, 10:25 AM
As said my dear Patrol family, is there anyone in here doing this or anyone with experience ? I've bought a LM7 Gen III V8 (its a 2004 5.3 V8 out of a Chevy Sliverado, Yukon, Tahoe) , its still in the US however.

Understand there is Marks Adapters for Gen III V8 to GU 5 speeds that wre well known and proved in AUS.

Marks don't just do adapter plates thay do ECU wiring looms everything.

For the parts needed its a one stop shop...... He even has a unit to convert your factory in dash tacho suit the new V8.

Cheers
Paul

jpvm
12th September 2010, 10:52 AM
Great , so once I get the right engine, I'll get in touch with Marks Adapters . I know they offer everything even the LS engines too .. !!

patch697
12th September 2010, 11:01 AM
Great , so once I get the right engine, I'll get in touch with Marks Adapters . I know they offer everything even the LS engines too .. !!

And not just engine conversions, thay do gearbox conversions, Diff mods, brake upgrades, crawler gears, all sorts.

Like I said a one stop shop.

Cheers
Paul

jpvm
12th September 2010, 11:07 AM
Will scuba that web site , sadly the transport from AUS to any place in the World is way too expensive compared to the US to Southamerica. But at least is a place to find GU aftermarket since the US never saw the Y60 , Y61 ... ahahhahahaah

heyhey_guess_who
12th September 2010, 06:05 PM
Would the LM7 have the same wiring as a LSX? As Marks do adapters for LSX as LM7s aren't available in Aus (that I know of)

jpvm
13th September 2010, 02:35 AM
Would the LM7 have the same wiring as a LSX? As Marks do adapters for LSX as LM7s aren't available in Aus (that I know of)

Good question, the LM7s (5.3 V8 2002+) come in all Chevy Silverados, Tahoes and Suburbans... are those not available in AUS ?

Anyways, I will sell this engine here locally to see if there is a nice local demand, so I still might retry buying an LSX or LQ4 or LQ9 or even, if the dollars are there, a GTO's LS1 (Holden Monraro in the US)... God knows. But will depend on Marks engine adapter to the GU's manual gearbox. In the US you can buy a Nelson Performance ECU programmed for bypassing all Vats, sensors, etc. of the Gen II or III V8s and also a new wiring loom too.

heyhey_guess_who
13th September 2010, 09:59 AM
Good question, the LM7s (5.3 V8 2002+) come in all Chevy Silverados, Tahoes and Suburbans... are those not available in AUS ?
No they aren't avaliable in Aus, you have to import them, but even then there are some vehicles that don't meet Australian Design Rules (ADR).

Anyways, I will sell this engine here locally to see if there is a nice local demand, so I still might retry buying an LSX or LQ4 or LQ9 or even, if the dollars are there, a GTO's LS1 (Holden Monraro in the US)... God knows. But will depend on Marks engine adapter to the GU's manual gearbox. In the US you can buy a Nelson Performance ECU programmed for bypassing all Vats, sensors, etc. of the Gen II or III V8s and also a new wiring loom too.
Im pretty sure they all have the same bolt pattern as the LSX, so you can use one of Marks adapter bell housings.
http://www.marks4wd.com/products/engine-trans-conversions/nissan/GQ-GU%20Gen3-LS1%20V8.htm

jpvm
13th September 2010, 10:36 AM
your're right, saw at the Marks's web site as per your link, that they mention the 5.3 , 5.7 , 6.0 Gen III engines , so it must be right. The 5.3 is the LM7 so it should work. There are a couple of guys here with GQ's with the LQ4/LQ9 engines (6.0 V8 GenIII) and those are using the Marks adapter.