PDA

View Full Version : replace turbo on 3ltr gu td

wet & windy
9th March 2012, 08:46 PM
hi all just wondering if anybody has replaced a turbo on a 3ltr with a turbo that's not water cooled.by this i mean removing the water cooling line.

AB
10th March 2012, 06:54 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, don't forget to put up an intro about yourself in the introductions section.

I guess it can be done but what type of turbo are you planning on putting in thats not water cooled, just oil or?

Silver
10th March 2012, 07:35 AM
Welcome, Wet and Windy!

wet & windy
10th March 2012, 10:18 AM
well, the turbo that was in my patrol died and i have been able to get a replacement one but it doesn't have ports for the water cooling lines. it is identical to the garrett gt2052 that came out as i have fitted into the car.i am going to bung up the inlet and outlet water hole on the block.i hope that this will be ok.

Fity
11th March 2012, 08:38 AM
Blocking the coolant lines should be fine. But you may want to make sure you get all the air out of the system before driving as the feed may contain air which will be trapped. Probably only a small amount, but worth knowing about.

wet & windy
11th March 2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks Fity for that advise.I hope i can get some more help. I replaced the turbo because it seemed to be making a screaming noise and the car was down on power.There is is still the same noise after fitting the new turbo.The car drives fine,temp seems ok, wondering if anybody may have had the same issue with there patrol.Or can anybody advise of a good mechanic in the Rockhampton area (no DC Motors as to exy)

cairnsGU
12th March 2012, 08:59 PM
Probly find the leak between and manifold or turbo to dump pipe.
All reports have pointed to these areas as source of that noise