PDA

View Full Version : Bullbar ripped from chassis

Trolatron
9th March 2012, 06:58 PM
WARNING VERY STRONG SWEARING IN THIS VIDIO.............F F F F ....

I dont want this to turn into a massive heated debate on whos at fault and should have known better and all that like it did on the forum I found this on but rather it serve as a reminder to all to check your recovery points and condition of the chaise etc.

Read the guys comments.

"for those that don't know and quick to judge, go fk yaself, strap was attached to steel rated recovery point bolted to chassis, alloy bar bolted to said bracket, recovery point was ripped from chassis and took bullbar with it, sheered 2 bolts and tore bit chassis out, very lucky no one was in way"

monaroman37 4 days ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhqfrMJoa9k&feature=youtu.be

Bigrig
9th March 2012, 07:09 PM
Good find mate - no debate here, if you go at it and absolutely everything isn't up to scratch (something wasn't or this is a one in a billion freak incident), then people are put in harms way.

Lucky lads, glad no one was hurt and always good to remind everyone how pear shaped things can go ...

Probably didn't need that much of a hit to get him out, but seen it before without any drama (I personally would have done it different, but who's to say how 'stuck' the truck really was ... may have been heaps worse than it looked).

growler2058
9th March 2012, 07:14 PM
Lucky lucky lucky!!!

taslucas
9th March 2012, 08:15 PM
Wo! Thats pretty mad!

Lucas

cokeholic
9th March 2012, 08:52 PM
very lucky with all the bystanders nobody was hurt

Trolatron
9th March 2012, 09:04 PM
Wo! Thats pretty mad!

Lucas

Was down Hobart way....

Finly Owner
9th March 2012, 10:20 PM
Hmmmmm I know MK Patrols pretty well I think. And all I can say is it looks lik too much and I can only guess badly thought recovery points, as MQ/MK are usually right at the front bolted only to the inner side of the chasis as is the bullbar. Recovery points need High tensile bolts all the way through the chasis with a spacer inside to stop chasis squashing in when tightening with the nut.

Tim

Clunk
9th March 2012, 10:42 PM
Hmmmmm I know MK Patrols pretty well I think. And all I can say is it looks lik too much and I can only guess badly thought recovery points, as MQ/MK are usually right at the front bolted only to the inner side of the chasis as is the bullbar. Recovery points need High tensile bolts all the way through the chasis with a spacer inside to stop chasis squashing in when tightening with the nut.

Tim

I don't have recovery points on the front o mine yet but I've been told you need to do the same with GQs

Will have to check this vid out later on the lappy

megatexture
10th March 2012, 12:40 AM
jeez that could have been prity serrious! i think it was stuck prity good even before the bar got ripped off the truck didnt even flintch and looked like he had tried b4 the camera had started and was backing up for more run up.
all im certain of is if i was there id be swearing like a trooper also !!!

Silver
10th March 2012, 03:10 AM
Oops. Snatch strap stronger than anchor point - not that they knew that.

Very lucky.

Clunk
10th March 2012, 03:15 AM
Jeez just watched it.... thatcertainly came of at some speed and force hey!!!!! Very scary

AB
10th March 2012, 06:05 AM
very lucky and well done that everyone was out of the way for sure!

FullFlxd
17th March 2012, 12:15 AM
There was another vid where the guy was extremley stuck in a mud hole that they had to use three cars to drag him out!
I suppose the only other thing you could have done first is lift it out of the water using a spare tyre possibly... mind you I don't rememeber seen a winch on that bar and there wasn't much room for a spare for the strap to roll over.

Were the bolts old and worn?? might just be age

kond
20th August 2012, 07:21 PM
Extremely lucky people

97_gq_lwb
20th August 2012, 07:56 PM
fn jesus lol

huey_gq
31st August 2012, 03:36 PM
Wow that was very lucky

choochie
31st August 2012, 03:41 PM
i think it was stuck prity good even before the bar got ripped off

Yeah you can see the mud piled up in front of driver front wheel. Would have been like pulling a 747.... doubt it budged at all to be honest.

Bloodyaussie
31st August 2012, 04:44 PM
F$£king Jesus F%$king Hell F$%%£$K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robbo0001
31st August 2012, 08:43 PM
Insane speed on the snatch...didn't look like the first attempt either.
Nice controlled pull with a winch, while ignoring the jeering Peers might worked ok?
Glad it's not my car... Pull Shite hard enough something is going to snap.

MEGOMONSTER
31st August 2012, 09:03 PM
If not for this forum, it could have been me

healy
31st August 2012, 10:13 PM
wow thats insane looked like he was trying to pull it

the ferret
1st September 2012, 12:25 AM
This is a fine example of how people get hurt, the guy doing the snatch has no idea and is just trying to be a show off.
Cheers, the ferret.

CUROUND
5th September 2012, 06:00 PM
They should have all read ....BillaVista's Recovery Bible (how to winch properly and safely).

Glad it wasn't me, but then again I'm not that mad to drive through the mud.... I would have driven round...:frown::frown::frown:

the ferret
5th September 2012, 06:17 PM
I can think of much nicer ways to die, other than being smacked in the head with 100kgs of scrap steel, or even alloy for that matter.
That could very easily have been tragic.
Cheers, the ferret.

threedogs
5th September 2012, 07:32 PM
You may have noticed most had a beer in hand,
They had no clue on recovery techniques
WAAAAY TOOOO fast
Front hook on those is not for recovery
Did not think that through at all, very lucky no one injured
IMO just another bunch of wankers giving 4x4 a bad name
Everyone thought that was funny too. what the??

X2 with Ferret, no clue whats so ever

PMC
4th October 2012, 02:42 PM
Holy shit lounge lizards!

That is what you get when you use Armour piercing snatch straps!

Regards,

RLI

Chris-W
5th December 2012, 08:02 AM
As others have said, that was lucky no one was standing there!

Maybe that was something that was done right, being clear.

BigRAWesty
5th December 2012, 08:39 AM
Wow.. were do you begin.. I would not have attempted to pull him threw with all the mud pushed up infront.
He went in so he'll come the same way..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

James_R
10th December 2012, 12:02 AM
Unbelievable how friggin quickly that went pear shaped! Bit of (not so) common sense could have prevented this bloke from losing his front bar and potentially killing someone.

Thena again going by the blokes around him on the p&#$ neither the blokes involved in the recovery or those around seemed to have cared a great deal.

fracster
15th December 2012, 12:24 PM
Watched that a few times now and cannot believe how damned stupid they are.

leadsled
6th May 2013, 11:24 AM
holy sheet . that was close. Could have been a lot worse

Jakob
27th June 2013, 03:59 AM
I don't have a lot of knowledge about 4x4 and driving off road like this yet, but didn't this guy pull a little bit hard?? :)

kegatron
24th August 2013, 11:31 PM
Glad no one was in the way!!!

mullum
7th September 2015, 12:19 PM
wow very lucky not to of hurt some one.....

threedogs
7th September 2015, 12:40 PM
Clearly shows the energy stored from a recovery, that's a 30kg bull bar travelling at break neck speed.
As with most older 4x4 in this case the GQ most bullbars and towbars for that matter wont have
zinc plated or for that matter rated bolts. If you own a GQ I would you suggest you remove and replace all bolts securing
both your bulbar and towbar, Grade 8 or better and zinc plated, especially if you have a history of failing during bog hole attempts

Irish
20th September 2015, 10:16 AM
This is what happens when you try and be a hero instead of just getting recovered/recovering backwards out of the boghole. easy winch backwards would have done it. Just luck someone wasn't hurt/killed on that.

threedogs
20th September 2015, 10:35 AM
I don't have a lot of knowledge about 4x4 and driving off road like this yet, but didn't this guy pull a little bit hard?? :)

The whole recovery was thwart with danger, if new join a club, do a recovery course or find someone with experience to 4x4 with.
Try not to learn bad habits, and never use a Towball for recovery ever.
My missus just saw this and cant believe idiots are out there, they are very lucky they all came home very lucky

Mods can you fix the title please [chassis]

bazzaboy
20th September 2015, 02:08 PM
This one attempted recovery is a great argument for always using winches in difficult recoveries. I've seen more snatching situations go wrong than when winching.