PDA

View Full Version : Extra Cab chop - GQ trol, who has one?

Punderhead
8th March 2012, 10:10 PM
HI all.

Just wondering if anyone has an extra cab chopped rig, and if so, any pics of it/how they chopped it. I am looking hard at chopping my rig, and wanted to see what others thought.

Cheers!

nissannewby
10th March 2012, 12:06 PM
extra cab is the way to go if chopping i think gives you that extra space behind the seats. you will have to use some of the old door then fill in where the window was with a panel and put a back on it. Theres a bloke at narangba(north brisbane) who does this kind of work and does a pretty good job. I would also recommend (if you want one) putting a cage in at this stage as the back of the cab will be off makes life a little easier.

MudSlut
21st March 2012, 06:20 PM
Hi, I have a GQ Chop. It was done before I bought it but I could take some photos to show you what I can see has been done.

Here are some Pics that i have so far.

AB
21st March 2012, 07:29 PM
Job well done mate, love the colour too!!!

taslucas
21st March 2012, 07:39 PM
Hey mud, is that middle pic in oldina?

tappa slappn about

MudSlut
21st March 2012, 08:25 PM
No, It was taken out the back of spreyton from memory. I don't know the name of the place sorry.

taslucas
21st March 2012, 09:00 PM
No, It was taken out the back of spreyton from memory. I don't know the name of the place sorry.

Yeah I suppose all those pine plantations look the same lol.
Ps. I think your trol is still for sale on gumtree lol

tappa slappn about

Tweakedoffroad
21st March 2012, 09:25 PM
Nice job Mudslut looks good havent seen one done like this before

MudSlut
22nd March 2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys but once again i'll say that I did not build this Patrol, I bought it a month or so ago as is.

TasLucas, there is every chance it is still for sale, there is an identical one for sale in Smithton on Gumtree also, a lot neater than mine but it's too neat for the bush.

taslucas
23rd March 2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys but once again i'll say that I did not build this Patrol, I bought it a month or so ago as is.

TasLucas, there is every chance it is still for sale, there is an identical one for sale in Smithton on Gumtree also, a lot neater than mine but it's too neat for the bush.

Ahhh yep that would be the one at smithton I have seen. Does look neat. Apparently there is a bit of a club in Launceston that have a lot of GQ wagons cab chopped. A mate went down west last weekend with them. Not sure what they are called

tappa slappn about

robbo0001
23rd March 2012, 11:04 PM
I have seen one around work that consists of a red GQ, pretty much chopped the barn doors and roof off it....then dropped a 4x6" "drop-side tray back" aluminium tray on the chassis.
Kinda looks funny, because the guy retained the rear wheel arches (OEM flares) and thats what originally caught my eye.
He has sealed the cab with a rear window, so it may be welded but I can't confirm its a good job.
The guy is a Tradie of some description, so it works well for him.
If I see it next week I will take a pic or two.

MudSlut
26th March 2012, 11:23 PM
straight chops always look funny, its just weird to have half a wheel arch. There are plenty of Cruiser 4 Door cab chassis chops been done and a couple GQ patrol 4 Door C-chassis chops getting around Tassie. I prefer the Hard side tub look myself but it does lack in tray space, so i can totally see the reason for a C-Chassis chop.

Clunk
26th March 2012, 11:45 PM
A mate of mine does the chops for a mob here in Perth, mainly turning them into 4 door with a tray back, also extending the chassis if required.

He keeps on at me to let him chop mine into a 4 door well body like mudsluts........ I'm thinkin about it lol

gu4500
1st August 2012, 12:06 AM
A mate of mine half built a GQ extra cab then sold it as an unfinished project in Brisbane. The way he did it was to cut a GQ wagon that had been shunted up the back, and mate it up to the back cab wall off a MQ ute that had been front shunted....... and it was all steel from the doors back to the back wall. He allowed enough space to sit a fridge in behind the seat on the passenger side, with a bit of a false floor under to stow small items not often needed, then on the other side behind his seat there was a plan for (sort of) some storage bins etc and a rear overhead console/storage for cameras etc.

And a couple of bilge pumps were planned for! one under each seat LOL