PDA

View Full Version : Going on trip, What should i check?

chester
8th March 2012, 09:53 PM
Was gunna stay home for easter until the wife said no lets go to Dargo.
So ive let the maintance slip on the old GQ due to being flat out at work,Am gunna change oil,filters and a general check over.
Any tips on what else to check beside's brakes,cooling system etc.

Cheers
Chester

Bigrig
8th March 2012, 10:02 PM
Visual and physical inspection of all bushes/rubbers around steering and suspension, general run over of all nuts and bolts, all fluid levels (steering, transmission, radiator and overflow, clutch if you have one, brakes, etc), all lights, and change of filters (fuel, oil, and air). Make sure no there's no visible leaks around power steering, clutch, swivel hubs, oil seals, from shocks, etc, etc, etc

Apart from that, make sure the cigarette lighter is working if you have a 12 volt fridge (would be tragic if the beer went warm!!).

nissannewby
8th March 2012, 10:55 PM
belts, condition of hoses if they look suspect change em and take spares (cheap insurance)

chester
18th March 2012, 08:28 PM
Gave her a check over today,found lose wheel bearings,swivel housing leaking, clutch slave cylinder leaking,thermo fan not working also pressure tested the cooling system and found a few small leaks from hose's.
So looks like ive got a bit of work to do,oops guess that will teach me a lesson.

Sir Roofy
18th March 2012, 08:32 PM
Not much daylight left when you get
home now and its getting cooler

chester
18th March 2012, 08:40 PM
Not much daylight left when you get
home now and its getting coolerTell me about it roofy glad i built a wood heater for the shed.

Sir Roofy
18th March 2012, 08:52 PM
tell me about it roofy glad i built a wood heater for the shed.

at least you got a shed ive been here 24/5years and still havn,t got one lol
ahwell will get around to it one day

chester
19th March 2012, 09:23 PM
at least you got a shed ive been here 24/5years and still havn,t got one lol
ahwell will get around to it one dayThat's not good roofy,you know where i am if you ever need to use it mate.

Sir Roofy
19th March 2012, 09:27 PM
that's not good roofy,you know where i am if you ever need to use it mate.

thanks mate

pominozjohn
24th March 2012, 12:02 PM
Is there a recommended "spares kit" to carry in the boot for a 4.2 diesel GQ (non turbo)? Also can anyone make a list of recommended tools to cover most minor issues please? I am very new to this and also a bit cash strapped so would appreciate the help in ensuring my money is not wasted on fatuous spares & tools.

chester
25th March 2012, 12:44 AM
Is there a recommended "spares kit" to carry in the boot for a 4.2 diesel GQ (non turbo)? Also can anyone make a list of recommended tools to cover most minor issues please? I am very new to this and also a bit cash strapped so would appreciate the help in ensuring my money is not wasted on fatuous spares & tools.I have spare fan belts and radiator hose's also a couple of heater hose's stashed in my rear quarter panel behind the trim.
As for tools i carry some spanners 10mm,12mm,14mm,17mm,19mm and a shifter.
A few screwdrivers both flat and phillips head's.
i find with these tools you could almost strip the whole car.

HammerBuilder
21st April 2012, 10:06 PM
I have spare fan belts and radiator hose's also a couple of heater hose's stashed in my rear quarter panel behind the trim.
As for tools i carry some spanners 10mm,12mm,14mm,17mm,19mm and a shifter.
A few screwdrivers both flat and phillips head's.
i find with these tools you could almost strip the whole car.

N Dont forget a hammer for those bits you need to smack lol just watch out for your fingers