PDA

View Full Version : DIY awnings

AB
6th March 2012, 02:18 PM
Found a neat little product that I thought I would share.

I have some sail track mounted on the camper which is only about 2.5m long and it came with the usual tiny awning 2.5m x 2.5m which doesn't cover much area when camping.

I went and bought a heavy duty tarp 5m x 5m and when I was camping I just drooped it over the camper and the usual pole and ropes, etc. The tarp was rubbing on the camper and would have ripped holes in it after a while so I needed to somehow utilise the original track on the camper.

Found these little gadgets on Ebay which you can run through the track and hook onto your tarp's eyelets at whatever spacing.

Should work a treat!

I also thought you could easily mount a track to your roof rack and use any tarp, any size for a side awning on your 4wd too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gutter-Grippers-accessories-your-caravan-motorhome-for-tarps-etc-Pkt-5-/330694182101?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfee8c4d5

Bigrig
6th March 2012, 03:49 PM
Just bought some to try - thanks mate. Figure for $19 I'd give em a go and report back ...

AB
6th March 2012, 03:53 PM
Just bought some to try - thanks mate. Figure for $19 I'd give em a go and report back ...

Actually, this wont work...lol...Jokes!

The only problem I can see is that the tarp would be a wooftinth bent as the eyelets need to sit horizontal and so does the clip that comes out but I would say it would be minimal bend in the tarp and most likely hardly noticable.

These suit an 8mm sail track so I'm just going to confirm my track is 8mm and Ill buy some tonight too.

Most track is 8mm I think!!

Bigrig
6th March 2012, 04:03 PM

The only problem I can see is that the tarp would be a wooftinth bent as the eyelets need to sit horizontal and so does the clip that comes out but I would say it would be minimal bend in the tarp and most likely hardly noticable.

These suit an 8mm sail track so I'm just going to confirm my track is 8mm and Ill buy some tonight too.

So long as they clip to the truck, they're better than nothing, and heaps cheaper than an awning ... especially for the amount of times I'd use them.

my third 256
7th March 2012, 09:54 AM

could use a ziptie to attach clip to eyelet for it to sit straight stephen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

could use a ziptie to attach clip to eyelet for it to sit straight stephen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MC97GQ
7th March 2012, 11:19 AM
Nice find AB,

Another option would be to use a small D Shackle to hold the tarp to the gutter gripper. That way if you had a captive track gutter grippers stay in the track and you attach the tarp when you need it.

Mark

AB
7th March 2012, 11:31 AM
Nice find AB,

Another option would be to use a small D Shackle to hold the tarp to the gutter gripper. That way if you had a captive track gutter grippers stay in the track and you attach the tarp when you need it.

Mark

I was thinking something like that too but the more things you add, the more space your making between the camper or the vehicle and the tarp resulting in a gap for rain to come in.

Ric
10th March 2012, 10:42 PM
I was thinking something like that too but the more things you add, the more space your making between the camper or the vehicle and the tarp resulting in a gap for rain to come in.

This is just what I was thinking. These clips are not going to stop rain getting in right where you don't want it as you will have a gap between the camper/caravan and the tarp, although they would sure have a few other uses around the van.

A bloke who often camps at the same place we go made up his own awning tarp by doubling over the edge of the tarp around a length of 6mm poly rope and gluing it. Once it is slid into the track it holds itself together and works a treat.

Cheers Ric

AB
12th March 2012, 05:58 PM
This is just what I was thinking. These clips are not going to stop rain getting in right where you don't want it as you will have a gap between the camper/caravan and the tarp, although they would sure have a few other uses around the van.

A bloke who often camps at the same place we go made up his own awning tarp by doubling over the edge of the tarp around a length of 6mm poly rope and gluing it. Once it is slid into the track it holds itself together and works a treat.

Cheers Ric

Good idea mate. I was also thinking of possibly stitching in a flap to cover the gap too.

AB
19th March 2012, 08:47 PM
Well mine turned up today.

Well, they're bloody small...lol...The picture made them out to be large triangular brackets but in reality they are matchstick sizes.

Good news is that they would have minimal gap between the car/camper and the attached tarp. I guess the bad news could be "Are they strong enough". I'll get back to you's on that one!

the ferret
19th March 2012, 09:13 PM
Well mine turned up today.

Well, they're bloody small...lol...The picture made them out to be large triangular brackets but in reality they are matchstick sizes.

Good news is that they would have minimal gap between the car/camper and the attached tarp. I guess the bad news could be "Are they strong enough". I'll get back to you's on that one!
So do you think I should make some Andy, stainless bracket with nylon slide? lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

AB
19th March 2012, 09:18 PM
So do you think I should make some Andy, stainless bracket with nylon slide? lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

i reckon so mate, It's a great idea and just waiting for someone to snag it and make it better...lol

What you need to do is make the triangular shape with a clip function as pulling the triangle ends out of the plastic tube tends to bend it which will end up being a "fraction too much friction" one day...LMAO

msw21
3rd April 2012, 06:07 PM
might have to try this to thanks mate

the ferret
3rd April 2012, 06:12 PM
i reckon so mate, It's a great idea and just waiting for someone to snag it and make it better...lol

What you need to do is make the triangular shape with a clip function as pulling the triangle ends out of the plastic tube tends to bend it which will end up being a "fraction too much friction" one day...LMAO
If ya have a spare one Andy, send it over and I'll see what I can come up with.
Cheers, the ferret..

footsinperth
4th April 2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to give this one a bash.