PDA

View Full Version : Which degreaser to clean intercooler?

lufkin
5th March 2012, 01:37 PM
Hi guys I'm new here, and have just purchased a GU 2.8, I'm about to do the EGR and butterfly and thought whilst I'm doing that I'll clean the inlet manifold and intercooler, is there a certain type of degreaser to use, or any will be fine? how long should I let it soak for? is there such thing as it soaking too long? also if I remove the inlet manifold and clean that up, is the gasket re use-able?

thank you

scotty83
5th March 2012, 02:39 PM
Always make sure you have taken any sensors out before starting this process.
1. Any Degreaser seems fine. I have used the SuperCheap and Unleaded Fuel previously.. (checked out the price of unleaded Vs degreaser. One thing to make sure of is that it is very very thoroughly rinsed out.
2. How long to soak. i always shake it around a little and leave it for a minute.. doesn't take long. I also give it a couple of goes as well.
3. I managed to reuse my gasket, but mine was only an 2005 model. being that old your may want a new one. Maybe someone with a car that vintage can help there.

lufkin
5th March 2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks for that scotty much appreciated mate

Robo
7th March 2012, 12:32 AM
TIP.
something to watch for.
If there's oil in intercooler good chance turbo seal is going or gone.
Turbo rebuild/reco time.
Cheers

97_gq_lwb
7th March 2012, 08:48 AM
On the rd28,s the oil is usually caused by blow by it comes out the rocker cover breather they need a decent catch can fitted to stop it my choice if i done it again would be a provent one.

Jordan.mathisen
29th March 2012, 06:29 PM
Hey mate, on our ships we use hull cleaner to clean our sea strainers soak them in a 6:1 solution for about 10mins and they come up like new with a scrub, I'm guessing it would work sweet on your intercooler as well maybe lower the concentrate if you thinks its would be too strong

lufkin
29th March 2012, 06:46 PM
thanks jordan i will have to look into it

Robo
7th April 2012, 10:17 AM
On the rd28,s the oil is usually caused by blow by it comes out the rocker cover breather they need a decent catch can fitted to stop it my choice if i done it again would be a provent one.

Are the RD28's that bad for vapours?

lufkin
7th April 2012, 12:09 PM

well I eventually did the EGR mod/butterfly and I was able to run my fingers right around the intercooler piping on the inside and didnt have oil on my fingers, so im guessing thats a good thing, and thats without a catch can

oilburner98
7th April 2012, 08:07 PM
phosphoric acid is pretty harsh, I would be careful and make sure you do some homework before you use it, but an interesting suggestion

oilburner98
7th April 2012, 08:18 PM
after noticing an oily smudge on the pipe work for the after-cooler where the rubber pipe fits over, I thought oh shit my turbo is on the way out and then had a look for a service kit on ebay. I asked a diesel mechanic mate about doing the turbo service myself and he said don't do it as he has seen a few amateurs stuff it up (he wasn't just spruiking for work). Also he pointed out the fact that the crank case breather is directed back into the suction side of the air supply, hence the oily smudge. I am thinking about doing the big clean up of the air supply on my 2.8 and am taking bits and pieces off this forum to work it out as well. another point my mate strongly made was make sure you thoroughly clean out any residual cleaning solution to avoid any damage down the line to the manifold, valves and pots.

lufkin
8th April 2012, 01:42 AM
brother inlaw had a nissan stagea and they recommended on there to clean the intercoolers with simply petrol, anyone want to shed some light on that? for some reason im thinking it would be better then a random degreaser

97_gq_lwb
8th April 2012, 06:37 AM

Yes shocking a baffled catch can works though .
I made the mistake of fitting a supercrap catch can wich did absolutely nothing until i modified it.

timbo1
8th April 2012, 06:51 AM
just done the inter cooler and all associated pipes with petrol, gave the inter cooler a good soaking(filled it with petrol) rinsed it several times (with petrol) then put it out it the sun to dry.(making sure no fuel left inside) a lot of oil residue from the crank case breather feed into the intake. also done the EGT+removed butterfly. and re routed the grank case breather so it wont clog the inter cooler again. GU 4.2tdi.now runs a lot better.

lufkin
8th April 2012, 10:42 AM
just done the inter cooler and all associated pipes with petrol, gave the inter cooler a good soaking(filled it with petrol) rinsed it several times (with petrol) then put it out it the sun to dry.(making sure no fuel left inside) a lot of oil residue from the crank case breather feed into the intake. also done the EGT+removed butterfly. and re routed the grank case breather so it wont clog the inter cooler again. GU 4.2tdi.now runs a lot better.

mind sharing where you re routed the crank case breather?

timbo1
9th April 2012, 06:05 AM
mind sharing where you re routed the crank case breather?across back of fire wall down drivers side fire wall(making sure it didn't rub on steering rod) then under car (back to atmosphere) 2 meters of heater hose from Clark rubber:bananarock: