PDA

View Full Version : GU Bypass filter

bushtracker14
5th March 2012, 02:12 PM
hello all
I have obtained a AMSOIL bypass kit...I wanted to take the oil feed for this from the old Vacuum pump feed; and I will return via the oil filler cap. i know that the block has plugs as not in use on my TD42 ;

can anyone advise which is the nd is the feeder the return. please...

in anticipation

Robo
8th March 2012, 01:38 AM
Hi Bushtracker14.

Nice to see you want to go that bit further looking after your toy.
Its a little unclear what your after exactly.
you need a oil feed and return that we understand.

don't these "bypass kits" , usually install a T-piece on pressure gauge port.
and return line at a convenient point near or in sump.

or is what you purchased a twin filter kit amsoil have for sale.
a double filter setup that has 2 different filters each different micron rated.

This may speed things up for ya
Here's 1 of amsoil home pages for bypass filters, http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?category=18
If you can point out which you have exactly, then maybe someone can help you out a bit sooner.

Cheers

itchyvet
18th March 2012, 06:14 PM
hello all
I have obtained a AMSOIL bypass kit...I wanted to take the oil feed for this from the old Vacuum pump feed; and I will return via the oil filler cap. i know that the block has plugs as not in use on my TD42 ;

can anyone advise which is the nd is the feeder the return. please...

in anticipation

G'day bushtracker,
I have owned my 2.8 liter GU Patrol now for six years, when I first purchased it, I HATED :devilred: the colour of the oil, even after a new oil change, it became filthy far too quickly for my liking, and it bothered me a fair bit, as the culprit in the oil was ash/soot from unburnt particles of the diesel.
I imagined all sorts of horrible damage this stuff would cause to the insides and moving parts of my engine and resolved to do something about it.
The first thing I did was to thoroughly flush the engine using and Australian manufactured product, which was claimed to remove varnish and build up sludge of the engine internals.
Refilled with clean oil and filter and within a week the oil once again started to discolour very quickly.
Then I checked out the bypass filters available in W.A. all of which were unsuitable for a 4X4 but designed for marger truck and eart moving machinery.
A search on the internet took me to the U.S. Amsoil web site, but at the time, there were only a small selection of bypass filters advertised and all filters were unavailable in Australia. So that was little use.
Then at a 4X4 show one year, there was a bypass filter stand there who sold them together with the filter elements easily available in Ozz.
I ended up buying one of these and instaling it in the Patrol, and IMHO, it would have to be the best thing I ever did for the engine.
The filter is called KLEENOIL manufactured in the U.K. though the distributor is in Victoria and I have no probs whatever obtaining replacement elements.
The element is the size of a large toilet roll encases in a mesh bag, this filter roll is placed within the filter housing, which has protrusions on the bottom holding the roll about half an inch off the bottom, the oil is forced thru the roll and exits from the top going bck into the rocker cover.
The take off for the oil was a "T" piece inserted where the oil pressure switch is fitted, then a hole was drilled and tapped into the rocker cover for the return flow.
The original filter was not touched in any way, and still gets changed out with the oil changes as before.
When changing out the roll,(only thing I don't like as it's a messy job) you can see the soot collected in the bottom half inch where it's trapped, demonstrating immediately the excellent job it's doing.
I've often come across the Amsoil set ups that are now available, and sometimes green with envy, because they are piss easy and clean units to change out, but after I see the evidance of how excellent my Kleenoil filter's working, I always decide to stick with it, even if it's pig of a jobe changing it out. :tease:

Robo
18th March 2012, 11:35 PM
I have seen this filter Kleenoil advertised, and wondered how good?.
thanks.
Was thinking of putting a bypass on.
Tossing up between roll and a centrifugal type.

chucky
20th March 2012, 06:27 PM
that kleenoil filter sounds good can you give me a contact number or do they have a website i can go to

redback
24th March 2012, 06:49 PM
I am thinking of installing a Jackmaster bypass oil filter for a 2.8 TD http://jackmasteroilfilters.com.au/bypass_oil_filters.html for $150.00
Cause I'm a cheapscape, I like the idea of the option of using a toilet roll as the filter but not sure of it's filtering ability.
Anyone tried one or got any comments?