PDA

View Full Version : map with members totals

Finly Owner
10th September 2010, 09:34 PM
I think of ideas, then let Andy work it out.

This one involves firstly a map of Oz showinghow many members in each state. Secondly Workd map showing members in countries.

Simple idea.............................................. ....:bananarock:

DX grunt
10th September 2010, 09:37 PM
Nice work Tim. I was thinking that the other day. Even numbers will do.

DO A POLL.

Yeahhhhhh

Finly Owner
10th September 2010, 09:39 PM
Poll depends on it being done by members, but AB and MOD have the info to just fill in info.

Woof
10th September 2010, 09:41 PM
I think that I have asked this before and AB replied something................can't remember must be getting old.

patch697
10th September 2010, 09:44 PM
I think that I have asked this before and AB replied something................can't remember must be getting old.

LOLOLOL......... Thats ok Top Dog.... we have a special place here just for you...lol

AB
10th September 2010, 09:46 PM
It can be done, you will need to create a google maps application but then manually put how many people are in which area.

Ill have a look and see if I can somehow gets statistics of members and somehow incorportate that into a scrpit that can be put into a Google Maps program.

All of this stuff is kind of beyond my skills but I like to learn new things.

Thats a really good idea Tim!

Maxhead
10th September 2010, 10:33 PM

This one involves firstly a map of Oz showinghow many members in each state. Secondly Workd map showing members in countries.

Good idea Tim except this side of the country will look pretty bare.......not for long I hope...lol

YNOT
10th September 2010, 10:34 PM
Great idea Tim. Just the thing for some more friendly state of origin rivilry.

Tony

AB
10th September 2010, 10:34 PM
Ok, found a program which incorporates members into Google Maps.

It's a gigantic installation instruction with 13 pages so Ill have a shot this weekend when my eyes arn't fuzzy

Maxhead
10th September 2010, 10:36 PM

It's a gigantic installation instruction with 13 pages so Ill have a shot this weekend when my eyes arn't fuzzy

Ohh come on AB, I was hoping you gonna have it done by the end of the night....hhahahaha

YNOT
10th September 2010, 10:37 PM
Good idea Tim except this side of the country will look pretty bare.......not for long I hope...lol

We're starting to get some numbers for the northern east coasters but need some more for the south east.

Tony

AB
10th September 2010, 10:39 PM
Ohh come on AB, I was hoping you gonna have it done by the end of the night....hhahahaha

haha. It's a big modification to the forum with a thousand steps and 13 pages of goodness!

It will surely take a few hours to get right, but it looks pretty good.

Here's a preview, pictures only small.

Just notice it also has stats at the bottom with members online, visitors, etc. I can't read that small, eyes getting fuzzy...lol
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/09/1.png

Maxhead
10th September 2010, 10:41 PM
Well, I'm glad you know what you're doing....it looks good and a top idea!

AB
10th September 2010, 10:41 PM
We're starting to get some numbers for the northern east coasters but need some more for the south east.

Tony

Victoria's also more quiet then I thought. Seems like QLD and WA are kicking along nicely.

Maxhead
10th September 2010, 10:42 PM

Tony
Won't be long before this forum is flooded with east southerners...hahah
this map will be good when done

AB
10th September 2010, 11:05 PM
NOTE: I just realised that this program may show "EXACT" locations of members so everyone don't freak out I will ensure that whatever
program is used "WILL NOT" show exact locations of members for security reasons of course.

Maxhead
10th September 2010, 11:07 PM
NOTE: I just realised that this program may show "EXACT" locations of members so everyone don't freak out I will ensure that whatever
program is used "WILL NOT" show exact locations of members for security reasons of course.

Does it work on IP address location?

AB
10th September 2010, 11:08 PM
Does it work on IP address location?

I think this one might do that.

I'll look into it this weekend and find out.

We definitly do not want that!

Finly Owner
10th September 2010, 11:10 PM

Tony
We're getting there, we will have to have a Qld gathering soon.

Maxhead
10th September 2010, 11:12 PM
I think this one might do that.

I'll look into it this weekend and find out.

We definitly do not want that!

If it doesn't show the IP then its OK but for security reasons you would not want to display IP's.
If it just used IP to show location than should be OK,

Finly Owner
10th September 2010, 11:12 PM
Now we just need the wave Hi/Bye................................. AB...........................

Now you can concentrate on things after your win.

YNOT
10th September 2010, 11:15 PM
We're getting there, we will have to have a Qld gathering soon.

Agreed.
With all these gatherings being planned, it might be time to look into getting some shirts printed or embroided with the forum logo. And window stickers for the cars.

Tony

AB
10th September 2010, 11:17 PM
Agreed.
With all these gatherings being planned, it might be time to look into getting some shirts printed or embroided with the forum logo. And window stickers for the cars.

Tony

Great idea Tony, this thread needs to be changed to the "Ideas Thread"...haha

Finly Owner
10th September 2010, 11:17 PM
Agreed.

Tony

Bloody brilliant Idea. Who knows a printer?

Maxhead
10th September 2010, 11:18 PM
Agreed.

Tony

Top idea Tony, I'll be in that for sure

AB
11th September 2010, 08:28 AM
Bloody brilliant Idea. Who knows a printer?

I could organise the stickers. Rather than print I think vinyl cutting would be better.

Does anyone here own a vinyl cutter by chance?

NissanGQ4.2
11th September 2010, 07:42 PM

Who reads instructions for installs Andy????............ Just like who reads terms and conditions before installing software *L*

Finly Owner
11th September 2010, 09:58 PM
I could organise the stickers. Rather than print I think vinyl cutting would be better.

Does anyone here own a vinyl cutter by chance?

A pair of scissors........PML

AB
12th September 2010, 07:44 PM
I'll have to keep hunting around again for the member map idea.

This one I downloaded is made up so members have to register there place which shows the exact cordinates of their home...lol

Back to the drawing board.

Finly Owner
12th September 2010, 10:05 PM
what a mission I've set you. Bet you are wanting me infractioned about now?

LOL

AB
13th September 2010, 05:32 PM
Infraction time Tim...lol

Been looking everywhere, found a place who modify forums like our one here but no one has ever created a log in log out notification before. One expert believed that it would be too much demand on the server to constantly monitor the members actions.

I'll keep looking.

Not having much luck with the map idea either unless members want to manually put their area in to a program I set up???

NissanGQ4.2
13th September 2010, 06:17 PM
Not having much luck with the map idea either unless members want to manually put their area in to a program I set up???

Andy, if you don't mind me asking what program would you be setting up, not sure how vBulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com/) saves your data, but could't you export the users location and import that into your program???, just a though
from a simple minded person *L* nothing is as easy as one thinks!

AB
13th September 2010, 07:38 PM
I agree, it should be simple as extracting the data from people who put their location into their profile except members rarely do that which is fine ofcourse.

I can get everyones IP address and collaborate data based on that but I do not want to put exact locations of everyone's home obviously.

It's not a program as such It's simply a script that gets data from where you ask to get it and display it how you want it...if that makes sense...lol

I can easily make a map that people put their location/state/area, etc in but we won't get much stats out of that.

I'll have to think of another idea maybe using IP addresses that only shows the general area of each member, not 123 fake st, faketown, 3000 etc...lol

Maxhead
13th September 2010, 07:49 PM
I agree, it should be simple as extracting the data from people who put their location into their profile except members rarely do that which is fine ofcourse.

I can get everyones IP address and collaborate data based on that but I do not want to put exact locations of everyone's home obviously.

It's not a program as such It's simply a script that gets data from where you ask to get it and display it how you want it...if that makes sense...lol

I can easily make a map that people put their location/state/area, etc in but we won't get much stats out of that.

I'll have to think of another idea maybe using IP addresses that only shows the general area of each member, not 123 fake st, faketown, 3000 etc...lol

Hey Ab, I have a feeling the location display will not be the actual address of your residence. I think it will only be as close as your ISP's DNS.
I could be wrong but I don't think a DHCP address can be tracked, maybe a static address that is registered against your residence address.

I have tried a number of address lookup programs including google and it is only showing where my ISP is located

my 2c

NissanGQ4.2
13th September 2010, 07:49 PM

Script makes sense, not that i know a great deal about them. I thought ip addys did only show roughly what area, not an exact location,

My IP Information: 121.44.31.160
ISP:Internode
Organization:Internode
Connection:Dial-up (http://whatismyipaddress.com/dialup)
Proxy:None Detected
City:Sydney
Region:New South Wales
Country:Australia http://whatismyipaddress.com/images/flags/au.png

Determining the nation of an Internet user based on his or her IP address is relatively simple and accurate (95%-99% percent) because a country name is required information when an IP range is allocated and IP registrars supply that information for free.
Determining the physical location down to a city or ZIP code, however, is more difficult and less accurate because there is no official source for the information, users sometimes share IP addresses and Internet service providers often base IP addresses in a city where the company is basing operations.
Accuracy rates on deriving a city from an IP address fluctuate between 50 and 80 percent, according to DNS Stuff, a Massachusetts-based DNS and networking tools firm.
Even when not accurate, though, geolocation can place users in a bordering or nearby city, which may be good enough for the entity seeking the information. This happens because a common method for geolocating a device is referencing its IP address against similar IP addresses with already known locations

Info from whatismyipaddress.com

NissanGQ4.2
13th September 2010, 08:00 PM
Hey Ab, I have a feeling the location display will not be the actual address of your residence. I think it will only be as close as your ISP's DNS.
I could be wrong but I don't think a DHCP address can be tracked, maybe a static address that is registered against your residence address.

I have tried a number of address lookup programs including google and it is only showing where my ISP is located

my 2c

I agree with NissPat

AB
13th September 2010, 08:01 PM
Ok, that sounds better, your right guys.

I just remember the screenshot of the script and it looked like someones street thats all.

Just looked into this one I have now and Its made up so your members physically put their area in manually.

Yep, your spot on guys, IP's only show the exchange, etc so I'll find a program that uses that and get up here asap.

Thanks for the heads up!

Maxhead
13th September 2010, 08:03 PM
Just to add though, displaying someones IP could potentially pose a security risk. If you're not displaying the IP then Bob's your uncle.!! hahah

AB
13th September 2010, 08:03 PM
100% IP's will not be shown if i find the right program...lol

NissanGQ4.2
13th September 2010, 08:31 PM
Just to add though, displaying someones IP could potentially pose a security risk.

once connected to an isp your potentially at risk, if there is a will there is a way *L*

NissanGQ4.2
14th September 2010, 09:46 PM
Its a start *LMAO*

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=101638414667780968345.00049035ccd71ae3d988a

RustyNails
14th September 2010, 10:44 PM
Well done, excellent effort

patch697
14th September 2010, 11:08 PM
Yep I like that..... What about you AB?

Finly Owner
14th September 2010, 11:12 PM
effon exellent

AB
15th September 2010, 08:48 AM
Thats spot on, great stuff mate.

I can get that map to show up on the forum no sweat but how did you place the markers, etc?

Did you just manually put them in obviously???

We could still have it like this and just encourage all newbies to go this that thread and put their "approx" location in too maybe???

NissanGQ4.2
15th September 2010, 06:49 PM
Thats spot on, great stuff mate.

I can get that map to show up on the forum no sweat but how did you place the markers, etc?

Did you just manually put them in obviously???

We could still have it like this and just encourage all newbies to go this that thread and put their "approx" location in too maybe???

Hi Andy,

To add the markers i just fly to the location and add a place mark then add the user name and location, yes its all done manually...... you can import map data from a KML, KMZ, or GeoRSS files to the map. Besides not having any access to the forum data (obviously) and from the quick reading of some vBulletin forums (http://www.vbulletin.com/) I not sure you can export the info anyway. I will look into it some more. I would have to study up on KML, KMZ, or GeoRSS files as well as i haven't the faintest idea what they are!!!!!

And as 2....We could still have it like this and just encourage all newbies to go this that thread and put their "approx" location in too maybe???

I can change an option to allow anyone with the link to add there own location.......i dont have a prob doing that....
Members would also be able to add the location of there favorite 4x4 tracks as well if they wanted 2 :)

I did have a problem when adding placemarks, but that could be because of my beta version of Firefox, will have to test it with some other browsers before changing the option to allow other users to add.
Will test it out during the week when i have time and let u know on the weekend if i have turned the option on.

Cheers,

Todd

AB
15th September 2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks mate, yeah I do know that a KMZ and and KML are a file extension to run through Google Earth/maps. I did a little bit of this when doing the interactive maps category.

It's pretty full on and new to a lot of people as well.

I'm a little concerned about people manually putting placemarks on a map though. It may be something that Ill have to manually do.

Time just does not exist in my life at the moment but i'll also hunt around and see what I find too.

Thanks for your help mate.

NissanGQ4.2
15th September 2010, 09:52 PM
I'm a little concerned about people manually putting placemarks on a map though. It may be something that Ill have to manually do.

No worries, i will not turn the function on. Do you mind if i keep adding members locations to the map i have until something better comes along?

AB
15th September 2010, 10:00 PM
Not at all mate, go for it.

I might have found one now that I can use in this forum.

You have to manually put your place on there like this one but It's fully compatible with this software so I'll play around tomorrow, get it installed and see how good it is...Thanks mate.

NissanGQ4.2
15th September 2010, 10:09 PM
cool, hope it works out :) sounds like you need a holiday away from computers *L*
my missus just walked in and said.... so this is what you have been doing 2 all hrs of the morning *L*

patch697
15th September 2010, 10:35 PM
cool, hope it works out :) sounds like you need a holiday away from computers *L*
my missus just walked in and said.... so this is what you have been doing 2 all hrs of the morning *L*

LOLOLOLOL.......... I hope you told her this is better than some blokes get up too..............lololol

my third 256
16th September 2010, 04:47 AM
hi toddrhind please add mine to the map please im in adelaide
thanks stephen

gec
16th September 2010, 12:54 PM
I just had a look at the map and seen Rosco is on holiday at the moment somewhere up north, hope ya take plenty of pics mate so when ya get back down south ya can post em for all to see lol

patch697
16th September 2010, 01:28 PM
I just had a look at the map and seen Rosco is on holiday at the moment somewhere up north, hope ya take plenty of pics mate so when ya get back down south ya can post em for all to see lol

LOLOLOL........... no wonder he was so tired & flat last night...... I think he's been holding out on us????.......lololol

AB
16th September 2010, 01:55 PM
I just spent 3 hours trying to upload one on here and it failed!!!

Trying to figure it out now.

If anyone here knows about php scripting have a look here and see if you can figure out the errors...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/vbgooglemapme.php

It's never good news when it says "FATAL ERROR"....lol

AB
16th September 2010, 03:07 PM
<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=101638414667780968345.000490 35ccd71ae3d988a&amp;ll=-31.278551,134.472656&amp;spn=35.676483,56.25&amp;z=4&amp;outpu t=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=101638414667780968345.000490 35ccd71ae3d988a&amp;ll=-31.278551,134.472656&amp;spn=35.676483,56.25&amp;z=4&amp;sourc e=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Nissan Patrol Forum Users</a> in a larger map</small>

This has been doing my head in a bit and can't get the forum one to work properly.

I think it may better that it doesn't work anyway as a lot of people's forums slow down to a halt when all the members put their lcoations in as it sucks up a lot of memory.

So how does this work mate? Are you the only one who can add the locations or is it public?

I'll put this into its own category when it fills up a bit.

Are we able to get members to manually put their location in?

20 questions...lol....Thanks for all your help!!!

Woof
16th September 2010, 04:17 PM

Hey Glen, we may have to send out a search party for Ross, I think that he must have taken the wrong turn to work???????????????

NissanGQ4.2
16th September 2010, 06:08 PM
I just spent 3 hours trying to upload one on here and it failed!!!

Trying to figure it out now.

If anyone here knows about php scripting have a look here and see if you can figure out the errors...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/vbgooglemapme.php

It's never good news when it says "FATAL ERROR"....lol

Andy good news it works for.....hahaha, no it doesn't............ i cant even get in..............All i get is......

toddrhind, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

YOU NEED TO HAVE A MINIMUM OF 2 POSTS BEFORE YOU CAN VIEW ATTACHMENTS. Simply introduce yourself to the community or join in the conversations?

damn computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will reply to your other post re mapping later 2nite

AB
16th September 2010, 08:36 PM
No probs mate, just forget about the other mapping program. Apparently it slows forums down causes massive problems so lets stick with your idea mate.

DX grunt
16th September 2010, 08:48 PM
If you put my truck just to the right of Katanning, youll be spot on. Thanks.

gec
16th September 2010, 09:16 PM
Hey Glen, we may have to send out a search party for Ross, I think that he must have taken the wrong turn to work???????????????

Yeah and he didn't even call in an say Gday, How Rude LOL

NissanGQ4.2
16th September 2010, 10:14 PM
If you put my truck just to the right of Katanning, youll be spot on. Thanks.

Hope that's a bit closer 2 the mark

gec
16th September 2010, 10:31 PM
Geraldton is the small dot almost half way up the west coast thanks toddrhind

RustyNails
16th September 2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks toddrhind

Maxhead
17th September 2010, 06:37 AM
Good spot to put me in on the map toddrind, it's where I do most of my wheeling......hahahah
Well done mate

AB
17th September 2010, 09:33 AM
When we get more members on this map we will create a full category dedicated to the map.

If any existing members see this thread feel free to let us know your area here and we will add you on the list.

AB
17th September 2010, 09:07 PM
<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=101638414667780968345.000490 35ccd71ae3d988a&amp;ll=-31.278551,134.472656&amp;spn=35.676483,56.25&amp;z=4&amp;outpu t=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=101638414667780968345.000490 35ccd71ae3d988a&amp;ll=-31.278551,134.472656&amp;spn=35.676483,56.25&amp;z=4&amp;sourc e=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Nissan Patrol Forum Users</a> in a larger map</small>

Seems to be building up thanks mate!

Any new or existing members see this feel free to reply to this thread giving us your "rough" location so we can build a map of our members....Cheers!

Also, just realised...Double clicking using left mouse button = zoom in

Double clicking right mouse button = zoom out.

Click and hold, move mouse around = move around map.

Finly Owner
17th September 2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks to Toddrhind and AB for great map is it going to be sticky for linked to our forum tool bar?

AB
17th September 2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks to Toddrhind and AB for great map is it going to be sticky for linked to our forum tool bar?

For sure Tim, Im trying to figure out a way to extract all of the users locations (that they have willingly given to us) and Todd is helping us to add the locations to the map.

Once thats done Ill make the map a lot bigger and dedicate it to its own categorie/page.

Finly Owner
17th September 2010, 09:44 PM
Cool and once again I appreciate the HUGEeffort you two are putting into this. I think it's fantastic to have this extra piece on our forum

AB
17th September 2010, 09:55 PM
Cool and once again I appreciate the HUGEeffort you two are putting into this. I think it's fantastic to have this extra piece on our forum

Do you know what is a huge help, Todd knowing a fair bit about computers...lol....Huge help!!!!!!!!!

It will be great to see it all filled up one day soon to see where we are all scattered.

NissanGQ4.2
17th September 2010, 10:08 PM
Do you know what is a huge help, Todd knowing a fair bit about computers...lol....Huge help!!!!!!!!!

It will be great to see it all filled up one day soon to see where we are all scattered.

me know nothing *L* I hate computers!!!!!!!!!! working on it hard, its starting to fill up :)

AB
17th September 2010, 10:48 PM
me know nothing *L* I hate computers!!!!!!!!!! working on it hard, its starting to fill up :)

Still trying to find a way to extract data too. Waiting for answers back on other forums.

By the time i get answers though youll prob be finished...haha

NissanGQ4.2
17th September 2010, 10:54 PM
nah calling it a night now Andy, will add some more 2morrow, good luck with the extracting data.....

AB
18th September 2010, 10:29 PM

Any new or existing members see this feel free to reply to this thread giving us your "rough" location so we can build a map of our members....Cheers!

Bumping this up for any new members or people who have missed....Cheers!

89GQ
19th September 2010, 02:41 PM
Bloody good idea! What about the east islanders (NZ) arn't there some from over the ditch????? OOps!! Sorry just clicked on the map and theres no Kiwi's Cmon lads from NZ I know youre out there!!! Im'e an ex-pat from Nth Island, So theres a halfcast!!!

NissanGQ4.2
28th December 2010, 10:52 PM

Now i remember who the culprit was that started all this member map bizzo!

Not exactly what you were after, but i am getting closer Tim.

Woof
28th December 2010, 11:02 PM
Brilliant Todd as I said on the other thread mate, well done........maybe a pay rise heading your way http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/ just remembered that you do all do this for the love of it..............which is better than getting paid anyway.

NissanGQ4.2
28th December 2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks Wayne, yep nothing better than doing it for love.

Speaking of pay rises, weren't you going for a new job???? how did it go?????

patch697
28th December 2010, 11:08 PM
Todd you are the man & we all appreciate the hard work & effort you put into this mate. A massive contribution if I do say so.

Finly Owner
29th December 2010, 11:47 PM
All this.....for me........Oh shucks.... I'm not speechless yet. HAHAHAAAAA.

Bloody great work Todd. Do you do this sort of stuff for work, you should.

Tim

NissanGQ4.2
29th December 2010, 11:58 PM
All this.....for me........Oh shucks.... I'm not speechless yet. HAHAHAAAAA.

Bloody great work Todd. Do you do this sort of stuff for work, you should.

Tim

Unfortunately don't do any computer related work, many years ago when i was working at the weighbridge at St Marys, I done a fair bit of testing / debugging on the software that was being developed for the company, Public Weighbridges finally got to go computerized. But nothing since then.

Did start doing a cert 3 in IT back then but got distracted chasing skirt and missed a few 2 many classes *LMAO*

Finly Owner
30th December 2010, 12:02 AM
Hmmm hands up skirts, or on keyboards, yep I know which I prefer. Sorry to be crewd ladies, but I am sure you all know how us men think. LOL

NissanGQ4.2
30th December 2010, 12:08 AM
Can't half tell which one i prefer, hence why i dropped out of the IT course *L*