PDA

View Full Version : Installing a kill switch in a GU Patrol

sandy
4th March 2012, 01:48 PM
Hi all I want to install a kill switch, idealy to stop the starter motor, I imagine there is a relay involved, not sure which one? any altermatives also welcomed

Sandy

Ben-e-boy
4th March 2012, 02:22 PM
you would use the starter relay I would add my own relays to interlock fuel system, ignition system and starter, Its a good Idea not to go into too much detail on subjects like this.
There is another thread like this that had gone into detail. If I was that way inclined I know where the alarm is situated and I know what feeds the alarm and It would be easy to get around.

sandy
4th March 2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah you are right here about security, I can work out the electrics, I am finding it difficult to understand from the manuals as to what relay's are the key to the starter motor and ignition circuits, looks like I will have to spend more time on my investigations, such as remove one relay at a time until it gives me the results I am looking for and then do as you suggested, interlink all three systems via a relay and kill switch. Just hope it is never needed and that the intended thieves do not own a tow truck.

Rumcajs
4th March 2012, 03:24 PM
So does this mean that your GU didn't come with Nissan's own NATS? (immobilizer) otherwise the other way would be to isolate engine ECU (again which model is yours?). Most thieves would give up quickly if the car doesn't start in reasonable time. Making it obvious from beginning they may look for obvious kill switch/s to starter motor.
Cheers

Inkbandit
3rd April 2012, 07:07 AM
I work for one of the larger 4wd compananies as one of thier techs and as such when we build 4wd's for the mines it is a must that they have an isolator, we usually and simply just isolate the earth cable with a cole hersy type switch, simply remove the Earth from the battery and attach to one end of the switch and attach another earth cable to the other end, when it is required to isolate or "kill" the car the switch break's all the circuits in the car, to override the imobilliser and security systems all you would have to do is earth them directly to the battery so as they are not in the same circuit as every thing else on the car, then these two will be independant of the car's wiring and should remain functional when the car is isolated

senator2012
3rd April 2012, 03:18 PM
Isolating the starter motor alone is pointless as it is so easily bypassed and if it's a manual all you do is hot wire it as usual and bump start it or bridge the starter. Using a cole hersee as an immobiliser is not practical unless its hidden somewhere other than under the engine bay and would need to be near the battery anyway, or voltage drop issues can occur not to mention the size of the cable required to be run, but that too is simply bypassed. A small micro toggle switch hidden away with a relay isolating either fuel pump circuit, fuel injection power supply (engine fuse), spark etc is the go. Depending on whether it's carby, diesel , EFI will depend on what you can do.

1MadEngineer
19th April 2012, 03:08 PM
maybe fit one of these!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeuLPH9An34&feature=related
It could just save your life one day.....