PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Lifter or......?

GreenGQ
3rd March 2012, 10:15 PM
OK here's the story so far.....
Got a 1995 GQ 2.8 TD which is making a ticking noise, but it doesn't make the noise at idle, only under load or when revved. The noise is a dead ringer for a noisy lifter but it's the not doing it at idle bit that's doing my head in.
I've just ripped the rocker cover off and after doing some more research it is an (?P4) head which means it's Hydraulic lifters with vacuum pump.
I'm too scared to go any further at this stage without doing some more research (good with petrols, not so much with diesels)

Does anyone have any clues as to what it may be or is there a way to check the lifters to see if they are indeed the issue?

Silver
3rd March 2012, 10:30 PM
Have no experience of diesels. In a petrol this could well be a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, or leaking exhaust flange gasket - where the engine pipe joins up with the next bit of the exhaust.

GreenGQ
3rd March 2012, 10:57 PM
I never considered the exhaust leaking, I'll check for that after the rocker cover goes back on if I can't find a fix for it. :D

Finly Owner
4th March 2012, 12:13 AM
My guess is an injector has collapsed.

Tim

GreenGQ
4th March 2012, 12:17 AM
My guess is an injector has collapsed.

Tim

Can you give me some more info on this please?
Do injectors have springs in them that can collapse or break?
The car is still running fine, although has a fair amount of black smoke on acceleration, but disapears when cruising.

Finly Owner
4th March 2012, 01:47 AM
They have many parts that need reolacing over time, and they can pick up a noise. Best to have a diesel pump shop check it out.

Tim