PDA

View Full Version : Tall Tales and True from The Cape 2011

pattersd
3rd March 2012, 07:50 PM
In July 2011 a convoy of 5 vehicles, 2 Patrols (GQ, GU) 2 Prados, and a Jeep set off on the adventure of a life time.

There were 13 people spread across the 5 vehicles, and the 2 Prados were towing camper trailers.
Travelled up the Coast, stopped at Paronella Park, a great stop over, a night at the Lions Den (Hangover to prove it).

We stopped in Cooktown to soak up the history, and when travelling northbound looking for a campsite, someone on the UHF suggested Isabella Falls, what a great spot. Our first proper free camp of the trip and a wonderful night.

Hahn Crossing in Lakefield NP was our destination for the next night, having only opened to traffic the previous week we were really looking forward to the challenge of the crossing.

A raging fire, Camp oven casserole great friends that's what the Cape trip is about.

pics to come, story to continue

The crossing was a blast, water to the windscreen in the deep hole, really glad I sprung for a snorkel.

Next stop was the Coen River, free camping on the river 5 Klm from down. A shower of rain as we set camp made us a little more excited for the tails to come.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd March 2012, 07:56 PM
Sounds like a great trip, but where are all the pics??????????

Maxhead
3rd March 2012, 07:59 PM
In July 2011 a convoy of 5 vehicles, 2 Patrols (GQ, GU) 2 Prados, and a Jeep set off on the adventure of a life time.

There were 13 people spread across the 5 vehicles, and the 2 Prados were towing camper trailers.
Travelled up the Coast, stopped at Paronella Park, a great stop over, a night at the Lions Den (Hangover to prove it).

We stopped in Cooktown to soak up the history, and when travelling northbound looking for a campsite, someone on the UHF suggested Isabella Falls, what a great spot. Our first proper free camp of the trip and a wonderful night.

Hahn Crossing in Lakefield NP was our destination for the next night, having only opened to traffic the previous week we were really looking forward to the challenge of the crossing.

A raging fire, Camp oven casserole great friends that's what the Cape trip is about.

The crossing was a blast, water to the windscreen in the deep hole, really glad I sprung for a snorkel.

Next stop was the Coen River, free camping on the river 5 Klm from down. A shower of rain as we set camp made us a little more excited for the tails to come.

Sounds like you blokes had a ball.. Can you tell me how the Peninsula Development Road was. I'm thinking of taking a Jayco caravan up to Weipa this year...is it Doable?? I've hear Yes, no problems and then NO Way!

Finly Owner
3rd March 2012, 10:36 PM
WHAT? No Pics?

Tim