PDA

View Full Version : Valve Train adjustment and noise?.

Robo
3rd March 2012, 01:45 PM
Been reading up on this and wondering what is the problem as most 42's have a noisy valve train.
Why do these engines have a noisy valve train?.
where is the valve train wear accruing.
what to look for?.

what should be replaced.
cam, lifters, p-rods, rocker/shaft or valve top grind ?.

some one should be able to enlighten us all.
:icon_driving:

ripper
3rd March 2012, 02:36 PM
where is the valve train wear accruing.
what to look for?

Not sure about a lot of that, but I know our rockers need regrinding.
I thought they were OK until I had to get one done, and then I compared it to the others and realised they all need doing.

EDIT:
Had to grind one because of the problem discussed here
TB42-Rocker-Assembly-help-needed. (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1933-TB42-Rocker-Assembly-help-needed.&p=23642#post23642)

canuck
7th March 2012, 10:00 AM
I am planning to pull mine and have the rockers reground this July when i am off work. The rockers have had divits in them since I bought the Safari off an importer. They were never properly adjusted in Japan. Now to adjust them you have to tighten them a little bit closer than spec.

Robo
7th March 2012, 12:42 PM
I am planning to pull mine and have the rockers reground this July when i am off work. The rockers have had divits in them since I bought the Safari off an importer. They were never properly adjusted in Japan. Now to adjust them you have to tighten them a little bit closer than spec.

Let me know all of what happens, will you.
Cheers

ripper
7th March 2012, 05:35 PM
The rockers have had divits in them
That's sort of what I saw with ours. They have a ridge across them with a flat patch on both sides of it.
The reground one has a smooth curve across the face of it. I'm guessing that curve would mean the rocker is in contact with the valve end for a lot longer, and that the ridge on the others may make a clicking noise as they open the valves.