PDA

View Full Version : removing gq gearbox advice

fisho86
1st March 2012, 04:33 PM
Hi all I'm new to the forum just posted in the introductions.
I am currently removing the gearbox from my gq 4.2l petrol and was wondering if any of you have any tips on removing the two bolts on top of the bell housing? i just can't seem to get to them.

Thanks for any help. hopefully one day i might be able to help some of you out.

NissanGQ4.2
1st March 2012, 04:56 PM
The 2 bolts you are referring 2 I removed after removing all the gear lever surround and going in from the top with a breaker bar and 1 very long extension.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Todd

Silver
1st March 2012, 04:57 PM
Haven't done a GQ box, but others have and will be along in due course.

I got a tip that worked for me on the re-install when I did my MQ - get two longer bolts, same thread as the bell housing bolts. cut off the heads, and slot the bolts to take a screwdriver.

If you screw these into the block, they will act as a bit of a guide to help you marry up the bell housing and engine

NissanGQ4.2
1st March 2012, 05:23 PM
I got a tip that worked for me on the re-install when I did my MQ - get two longer bolts, same thread as the bell housing bolts. cut off the heads, and slot the bolts to take a screwdriver.

If you screw these into the block, they will act as a bit of a guide to help you marry up the bell housing and engine

x 2 with silver on this, I done this also, and something I would do again ( not that I want 2 do my gearbox again! ) as it can be a b!tch to marry up the bell housing and engine, something that will only take a few seconds 2 make up may save you hrs of frustration.

Why are you removing the gearbox for anyway???

Cheers

Todd

fisho86
1st March 2012, 07:17 PM
hi i figured it out after about 2 hours this arvo ( use a long extension through the hole from where you remove the gear sticks)
My clutch has started slipping so i figure i had better do it before i get stuck somewhere

JamoGQ
10th June 2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks for this post

I'm about to pull the box out tomorrow and advice like this is very helpful