PDA

View Full Version : Cannot start my 4.2, playing weird

Kelvinator
1st March 2012, 03:58 PM
Hey guys, i went to start my troll and it just clicked on me, sounded like it was throwing out the solenoid but not turning over. Then after near killing pedestrians as my frustration grew it kicked over. Then after leaving work it turned over first go but sounded like the battery was struggling. Voltage dropped a heap on the voltmeter. Brand new batteries and alternator and perfect charge so it was very weird. Then when i got home nothing, just clicking and occasionally it would make the weirdest almost growl sound but not kick over. What have i done?! And a new starter is ridonculous price so if anybody has any good ideas lemme know before i spend bulk. As an ex mechanic i'll know what your talking about, im just on 12hr shifts and very low on time to suss this out at length. Also if anyone in gladdy has a good spare alternator i could test my theory with that would be super

Bob
1st March 2012, 04:06 PM
I would check the Battery Terminals

Kelvinator
1st March 2012, 04:52 PM
Nah mate, battery terminals are all sweet.

taslucas
1st March 2012, 04:56 PM
TB42 or TD42?
If it is the starter motor, an overhaul would be cheaper than buying a new one.
Sorry I can't be of more help
Lucas

Kelvinator
1st March 2012, 05:22 PM
Diesel matey, and yeah i agree that a rebuild of the starter would be easier I'm just not sure it is the starter yet and i dont have access to facilities to get it rebuilt at current.

Kelvinator
1st March 2012, 05:23 PM
sorry, cheaper*

Diesel matey, and yeah i agree that a rebuild of the starter would be easier I'm just not sure it is the starter yet and i dont have access to facilities to get it rebuilt at current.

taslucas
1st March 2012, 07:13 PM
Maybe you could try shorting the starter motor?

Lucas

Kelvinator
1st March 2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah mate i tried it last night in the pitch black, got nothing but the lug was greasier than an old barby plate so ive got to give that another go with light and a bit more clenliness

Yendor
1st March 2012, 08:04 PM
Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, also check the main earth connection to the engine and starter motor.

After you have tried to start it, feel the battery cables and terminals. If there is a bad connection it will feel much hotter then the rest.

Have you been playing in mud holes lately?, if so there is a good chance the starter motor if full of muddy water.

You could try removing the starter motor, strip it down and inspect. It might just need a good clean out.

Kelvinator
3rd March 2012, 03:05 AM
Yeah mate, Ive tried all that. Ive bitten the bullet and booked it into an auto elecy but ive still got four days to win at this. Someone has suggested to me that the solenoid is fluttering. Anybody know what causes it or how to test/rectify this?

Kelvinator
3rd March 2012, 03:20 AM
And yes, i got mud tyres on it for one reason and one reason only so that was one of the first things i checked and no dice

Yendor
3rd March 2012, 10:18 AM
Yeah mate, Ive tried all that. Ive bitten the bullet and booked it into an auto elecy but ive still got four days to win at this. Someone has suggested to me that the solenoid is fluttering. Anybody know what causes it or how to test/rectify this?

It's more then likely a problem with mud stuck around the brushes or between the armature and poles in the starter motor then a problem with the solenoid.

You can pull the starter motor off, strip it down and inspect. It may just need a clean out and the brushes and bearings replaced

Kelvinator
8th March 2012, 01:30 AM
Okay, finally a day off and some light and tools to work with!
Problem was a combination of these things.

Brushes seized and no longer contacting the 'poles' i believe theyre called. Cleaned up and removed, faces sanded lightly, lubed and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner on the faces.
Poles shorted by metal dust in the grooves due to siezed and worn brushes. Cleaned with pick, lightly sanded, sprayed with contact cleaner.
Starter motor was fitted with silicone sealing up all joints/gaps and siliconed on the face of the motor where it attatches to the bell housing and had inadvertantly gotten into the threads and with surface corrosion visible may have been a sign of preventing a good earth due to recent submersion in a creek ha ha! My bad.

Cost of repair, $40 for an impact driver to get it apart, a bit of swearing and a sheet of sandpaper.
Symptoms of this was the solenoid throwing out but the starter motor failing to turn. Sometimes you would get a lucky start, other times a little bit of a turn or a groaning sound from the starter. Went from perfectly fine to buggered in one day, no hint of the impending inconvenience.

So moral of the story, its really simple to strip down and clean ur starter so why not do it periodicly, unless $600 for a good quality starter is your kinda fun. I'll be doing it more often and i hope this helps somebody get to work on time, unlike me! HA HA! Thumbs up kids n keep it real.

Yendor
8th March 2012, 07:00 PM
Thank you for that helpful post, did you happen to take any photos?.

I have no doubt that many people will find this helpful.

Unfortunately sealing up the starter motor will not stop the water from getting in, most of the water comes in via the bell housing.

Kelvinator
9th March 2012, 11:09 AM
No mate i haven't taken any photos. But i am going to strip it down again soon so i may do a step by step strip down and reassemble shoot.

And although it was siliconed up by the previous owner they had infact missed the starter drain hole, so it was a rather pointless exercise even if it wasnt for the bell housing. Even with this oversight the actual internals were not muddy or overly rusted even with the many times i have put it well under water. I may silicone up that drain hole this time and just see how much water actually gets in there as a test

jedskipow
24th March 2012, 09:40 PM
Starter full of dust and mud, water. Blew at it in situ with compressor, washed it with water left it to dry and good to go. (not recommended but but desperate and been going for 2yrs)
Pull starter off ,clean terminals and hit it with jumper leads. No go dismantle and clean solenoind contacts and inside starter. Had to do that to other one and it was basically chockers with mud and dust.

Robo
26th March 2012, 12:29 PM
If you seal up drain hole how will the water that comes in via bell housing drain away fully.

taslucas
26th March 2012, 06:21 PM
If you seal up drain hole how will the water that comes in via bell housing drain away fully.

I think he says he is doing it for a test......

tappn it

Kelvinator
28th March 2012, 05:47 PM
yeah, i am only going to fill up drain hole as a test to see how much water actually gets in via the bell housing. Considering i had the bonnet underwater for a decent amount of time a short while before i did this work i was really surprised to see how clean it was inside the starter considering it had all been sealed up. Since i stripped the starter motor in this thread it has worked like a champ and has since gone through a lot of floodwater, you may have seen how wet it is around here on the ol tube. It is currently unsealed to see how long it lasts. Next time i will give it the same punishment but with sealant in place.

nissannewby
29th March 2012, 11:30 AM
I have rebuilt mine cost me $20 in bearings stripped her down cleaned and rebuilt runs like a dream i have sealed my bellhousing and sealed the started to the bellhousing and havent had any dramas thus far. It is quite a simple job to do and the results speak for themselves

Kelvinator
29th April 2013, 02:47 PM
So, after all this time, starter motor is still goin strong, just. This was the unsealed test. While it has lasted since the last post it was substatialy dirtier inside having not been sealed up with silicone. Even though it has only been underwater once since then. I stripped it down again, sealed it up totally with silicone and sunk it. For a couple of hours just for fun. And the bell housing must trap an air bubble in it, as it was dry as hell inside. Conclusion, il be running it sealed up from now on. Id also note i have still replaced no parts on my starter yet.