PDA

View Full Version : CRD vs 'grenade' - logic doesn't add up

Steveo_the_Devo
27th February 2012, 08:10 PM
Ok, so here is the situation.

Stock CRD 2011, less than 6k on the clock, have fitted pyro and boost gauges and that is it - no mammoth tyres, no monster exhaust... just plain stock, off the factory floor.

Now, everyone says 2 things
1) CRDs don't grenade
2) EGTs of more than 450 deg results in grenades. After fitting NADS all the Di GUs get 250-300 deg EGT

So, this stock CRD easily runs 550+ degrees and peaks at over 650 when really pushing it.

Someone will have to explain the logic of running those very hot temps and NOT grenading at some stage down the track? Sure, I've heard folks say 'CRDs run hotter' but those temps are seriously hot and unless they have made a change to the way pistons are made I figure that CRDs will grenade down the track - maybe we just don't have enough of them with enough km on the clock to tell at this stage?

I'm happy to hear the logic of how a stock CRD can run those temps (as non-NADS Di would have) without grenading? School is in :)

boots
27th February 2012, 08:21 PM
What about fitting a provent 200 catch can to seperate/catch oil residue before it enters air intake system fouling maf sensor . what about dawes valve and full manual boost control with needle
valve . only a few hundred dollars more in mods and so much more piece of mind. JMO .

the evil twin
28th February 2012, 12:32 AM
Looks like pretty standard CRD temps to me if the Pyro is up close to the Turbo.

I have 110,000 K's on mine and not even remotely interested in Dawes/Needle valve because the Boost is nice and steady.
I did have to adjust the VNT when I blocked the EGR tho. Since then there have been no boost spikes and it spools up and sits around 16.5 to 17 Psi.
I had a Dawes ready to fit but there was no point with those electronic boost control figures so I sold it.

I let mine run up around 450 as long as it wants and it isn't till 500 - 550 that I look at dropping the load off.
Cruise on mine (chipped, blocked, exhaust) is 325 to 350 ish and IMHO if you kept the EGT's down at 300 degrees the vehicle wouldn't be able to pull the skin off custard.

Trying to compare EGT's can be very difficult for a lot of different reasons, placement, tune, driver style, chips, exhaust, EGR blocks, tyre size, auto/manual etc etc but,
yes, the CRD's do run hotter from what I have seen on the various forums