PDA

View Full Version : LSD in front diff

tiggar03
27th February 2012, 04:17 PM
since ive just found out my rear LSD is not stuffed I was woundering if its possible to put a rear LSD into the front diff of my 1990 GQ safari SWB

Ben-e-boy
27th February 2012, 04:39 PM
nope sorry mate. the rear is 33 spline and the front is 31 spline.

I think a rear lsd from a pathfinder and Mq will fit in. some one else may be able to confirm that

tiggar03
27th February 2012, 04:48 PM
thanks ben its just i got another complete LSD diff for $56 nz and it looks pretty good so now that i dont have to replace mine i thought it would be good if possible to put in front

Cyril
1st March 2012, 11:55 PM
I think a rear lsd from a pathfinder and Mq will fit in. some one else may be able to confirm that
You are right. Pathfinder/Terrano rear lsd fits the front diff of GQ. I have it on my Safari.

Robo
2nd March 2012, 01:23 AM
hows this on the asphalt, all right?.
or do you suffer a bit of under-steer?.

JoeG
2nd March 2012, 07:23 AM
You should go back to 2WD when on asphalt

Cyril
2nd March 2012, 09:22 AM
No difference at all on asphalt. The only problem - now it's more expensive to change oil in front diff.

Robo
2nd March 2012, 12:44 PM
You should go back to 2WD when on asphalt

I'm trying to find out it's behaviour/manners with it installed in front.

taslucas
2nd March 2012, 01:21 PM

With the hubs unlocked, there shouldn't be any difference. Same as having an auto locker

Lucas

JoeG
2nd March 2012, 04:00 PM
I had a auto locker in my last vehicle, it self centered quite strongly when on the power on hard surfaces.
I had to go around corners in tangents i.e. power on almost straight power off turn in heavy till slightly to far - power on and straight again till I got round the corner, was fine on loose dirt
So on my new vehicle I have a air locker so I can have the open diff till I need the extra traction with it locked
Joe

With the hubs unlocked, there shouldn't be any difference. Same as having an auto locker

Lucas

taslucas
2nd March 2012, 04:29 PM
So the auto locker was working with the hubs unlocked and the transfer in 2wd?

Lucas

tiggar03
2nd March 2012, 06:22 PM
thanks heaps guys i will have to keep an eye out for a terreno lsd now

Cyril
3rd March 2012, 12:32 AM
Now, due to circumstances, I drive a fwd Safari, because I have problems with rear propeller. So, I turned it off and drive on front lsd for a week already .

GU 2
3rd March 2012, 07:44 AM
I had a auto locker in my last vehicle, it self centered quite strongly when on the power on hard surfaces.
I had to go around corners in tangents i.e. power on almost straight power off turn in heavy till slightly to far - power on and straight again till I got round the corner, was fine on loose dirt
So on my new vehicle I have a air locker so I can have the open diff till I need the extra traction with it locked
Joe

G;day Joe. I'm just wondering as to why you would have it in 4WD while on hard surfaces. Interested in this as I intend to put a Auto Locker in the front.
My thoughts would be to take it out of 4WD when travelling on hard surfaces.

growler2058
3rd March 2012, 07:51 AM
Auto locker is not noticeable in 2wd

chester
3rd March 2012, 09:45 AM
How Does the LSD and the Auto lockers go on a muddy/slippery corner under power?
Does it just want to go straight ahead or turn?

Robo
3rd March 2012, 10:46 AM
Chester was wondering you prefer a good mate or best, go with good I recon.
That said without the best mate you may not be there in the first place.

chester
3rd March 2012, 12:07 PM
Chester was wondering you prefer a good mate or best, go with good I recon.
That said without the best mate you may not be there in the first place.HAHAHAHA Robo good question.
I would rather a best mate having my back than a good mate standing back and saying i will just bail you out later LOL.
BUT in saying that i would rather be home in a couple of hours than all night.
It's a bit like the chicken and the egg thing hey.

growler2058
3rd March 2012, 12:22 PM
How Does the LSD and the Auto lockers go on a muddy/slippery corner under power?
Does it just want to go straight ahead or turn?

Havent found it to be a problem, driving stlye needs to be slighty modified with a bit of throttle control ie. back off coming into the corner turn in then back on the loud pedal, then back off to straighten up then power out. My Lokka is the best value for $'s and the best overall traction aid ive fitted happy as a pig in slop

Robo
3rd March 2012, 12:30 PM
Havent found it to be a problem, driving stlye needs to be slighty modified with a bit of throttle control ie. back off coming into the corner turn in then back on the loud pedal, then back off to straighten up then power out. My Lokka is the best value for $'s and the best overall traction aid ive fitted happy as a pig in slop

That makes me think do I need mates like that, but I guess now I'm showing my age.

Robo
3rd March 2012, 12:42 PM
Reason I asked about LSD on asphalt, could maybe help in wet conditions.
"say" good on boat ramp extra bite but not fully locked, some give and less strain on drive train.
especially given pulling extra weight for this example.

Cyril
3rd March 2012, 04:46 PM
I had a auto locker in my last vehicle
Joe
I'm sorry, but what is "an auto locker"?

growler2058
3rd March 2012, 05:10 PM
Not air or electrically activated it's a mechanical part google 4wd systems and check em out or Lokka similar to a Detroit locker

growler2058
3rd March 2012, 05:13 PM
Some are centrifugal. The Lokka when in 4wd is always locked until you turn your steering wheel it'll lock again when turning if there's any slippage or when you power on

JoeG
4th March 2012, 07:37 AM
G;day Joe. I'm just wondering as to why you would have it in 4WD while on hard surfaces. Interested in this as I intend to put a Auto Locker in the front.
My thoughts would be to take it out of 4WD when travelling on hard surfaces.
The vehiclw wAS A 2006 Holden rodeo fitted with a slide on camper long range fuel tank uprated springs and would run with around 850 kg on the back.
Unfortunatels the centre of mass was slightly behind the rear wheels so on courugared roads the vehicle would porpoise slightly which gave verry light steering and poor brakes (in fact we bailed out of the final part of the Cape development road as it was quite frightening , my freind almost ripped off the tub back on his)
When in 4WD this was negated- on a 12,000 km trip (with a similar Rodeo which had a Air Locka ) we both found the results the same, how ever the auto locka would make my steering heavy celf centre as it was locking under power hence the need to go round corners in tangents, we met a similar Hilux set up where the owner had done a chassis streach on his dual cab to solve the problem and in so rarely used 4WD as the weight was now in fron of the rear wheels and vehicle stable at all speeds and terain.
So learning from the hilux set up we traded the Rodeo and built the custom Patrol I now use.
We live on a dirt road < 30 deg through a dairy farmn (which I maintain) and use 4WD daily this doubles the rear tyre life and greately reduces the formation of corrugations, it also improves braking imencely so we use 4WD on hard surfaces for safety (road often covered with cow crap as they tend to nest on the track at night as it is warm and dry!
in the 80's we had a Suzuki Siera which was suicidal in 2WD (on our track it would just go side ways all the time wither on power up or brakes down) so it went quick smart and we replaced it with a Hilux Dual Cab and never looked back
JOE