PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Feedback - Maxxis

Maxhead
9th September 2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Images/MT-762_Bighorn_0.jpghttp://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Images/M8090_Creepy_Crawler_0.jpghttp://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Images/MT-754_Buckshot_Mudder.jpghttp://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Images/MT-753_Bravo_Series_0.jpg

Tyre Feedback threads are designed to give members positive and negative feedback and other information relating to a particular tyre brand.

Please post first hand accounts on the Maxxis tyre only as this is NOT a tyre bagging thread

Information we are looking for is noise, grip, look, wear, handling, recommended PSI or any other information that members find useful and is relevant to the tyre type.

Please post your comments/feedabck and vote in the poll to show your tyre type preference.

Russell1974
9th September 2010, 10:19 PM
Have used the buckshots not to bad a handling, or in the bush I would say more of an all terain in the mud they werent to bad but werent for me

Finly Owner
9th September 2010, 10:22 PM
mate uses on bravo and is happy with them. Road 90% offroad10% use. Says good value AT tyre. He has nothing negative to say.

Maxhead
10th September 2010, 06:29 AM
MT-762 Bighorn 275/70R17

Very happy with the performance on the dirt/mud of these, very good on wet tar compared to the Buckshots I had.
I run mine at 34psi for allround use
Negative for me is road noise, a little bit noisy for my likeing.

10000 km on them and wear is good, should hopefully get around 80k

I would buy these again as @ $270 a tyre it was a bargain for a 17" set

Mav
17th September 2010, 06:31 PM
I've run the Bighorns before, easily the best tyre for the Money\style out there as far as i'm concerned.

I got acceptable K's from them, hook up very well compared to oter M\T's, i found them good on Road, but they did get noisy as they wore down, not Pede noisy though, this was in the 33x12.5x15 size:biggrin:

XLR8
17th September 2010, 08:54 PM
Also running 12.5R33x15 Bighorns. Tough looking tyres and very impressive in the mud/rocks. I find I need to drop them lower - ie 10 PSI instead of 15 - than my Coopers & Pro Comps in the sand to get the same result. They are noisy on the black stuff but no worse than my Cooper ST's and you expect that with such an aggressiv tread. Wear has been good done about 10 thou with less than 10% wear. I wouldn't expect to get more than 60-70 thou out of a mud tyre in every day use.

Roo72
19th September 2010, 09:14 AM
I had 33x12.5x15 buckshots on mine when I bought it....they were all but wornout and my god the noise was ear splitting....that said, the previous owner reckoned they were good value and was going to put them on again if he was keeping the truck.
My mum has Maxxis 751 Bravos on her GQ. seems happy enough with them....I sorta wish I'd got them too but wanted a bit more of an offroad spec all terrain tyre, considered the MT753 Bravo(far rigth in the pic in first post) but ended up going to Yoko's instead and paid 50% more. probably should have saved my bucks and gone wit the 751 as so far i've managed to engage 4wd once that I really needed it.
Cheers, Roo.

nickpeacock36
19th October 2010, 05:50 PM
I have Bravos on my GU (they were on when i bought it) its my 1st 4x4 so nothing to compare them with but they seem pretty quiet on the road and once i deflated them to 15psi they pulled the trailer all over the beach just fine. I guess they would soon run out of grip in sticky mud though.

mudrick
21st October 2010, 07:16 PM
running 33x12.5.15 buckshot mudders, only complain is no sidebiters and need to have 12psi to bag for sand driving.THeyve been a great tyre in the mud and clay, and no issues climbing rocky, shaley hills.

robdogg
17th November 2010, 01:44 AM
had 33 inch bighorns on my old Jeep and they were a great tyre, done 30k on them and still lots of tread left. Great offroad too but noisy on the road. Am looking to put these on my Mav when I eventually get the cash together.

swamp01
13th December 2010, 11:09 PM
Have just but a set of Maxxis Bighorns on my GU Patrol in 265/75R16.Haven't done that many km's yet but have already made a big difference in handling and look great on.Not bad with noise either quieter at 100km/h than at 60-70km/h.

Sir Roofy
14th December 2010, 11:03 AM
I allso have big horns and very happy with them good in the mud can hear them gripping and biting into the rock and gravel
a tad noisy on the road
cheers roofy

HILLBILLY BOY
2nd February 2011, 08:58 PM
I've got a set of Bighorns in 33's, so far I can't fault them, they're good on road even in the wet, good on rocks and shale. Havn't done much in mud yet so can't judge yet.

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 11:20 PM
I have big horms all round they are not too shabby. Though suited to mud. Second set is MT Baja's

Airstrike
3rd February 2011, 02:47 AM
I forgot to mention they are very noisy

Maxhead
3rd February 2011, 07:05 AM
I forgot to mention they are very noisy

Yep agreed, need ear plugs when driving...lolol

hekarewe
27th February 2011, 02:49 PM
have used both the buck shot and the big horn on my old pajero and found them both to be faultless and would recomend them to anyone i will be fitting a set of big horns to the new gu before i head for cape york this year as well. to say the least i got good milage out of both and never got a flat did not matter how much i punished the tyres they just bounced back for more did not even loose any of thee lugs from rock crawling

TROL007
29th April 2011, 12:24 PM
i have the MT-762 Bighorn 285/70R17 on std factory alloys.
very good tyre in all conditions.......but......crap milage/age.10,000km and nearly half worn.
i check pressures all the time,air down in sand and rocks.rotate all the time.
Work good in mud,tho photo may tell diff story.
cant have every thing at a cheep price.....$250 ea.
i dont think that thay are that loud on road,over 80k only buzzing

Ben-e-boy
25th May 2011, 06:06 PM
I've got trepadores in a 35/12.5-15. havnt driven on the road much but off road performance is brilliant.

Warnie
25th May 2011, 11:17 PM
Something I have been wondering for a while is do the Treps perform like the Micky T Claw where they are awesome in a straight line but lack any sideways traction at all. I ask as their tread pattern looks quite similar and am curious. I won't be buying a set in the near future as I have only just bought a new set of tyres and are very happy with them so they will stay. Just one for the knowledge bank.

jaxt
26th May 2011, 11:44 AM
anymore info on treps or crawlers guys?
need to fill my second set of rims with something more aggressive and am looking at either at the moment.
ta

Ben-e-boy
26th May 2011, 06:37 PM
Something I have been wondering for a while is do the Treps perform like the Micky T Claw where they are awesome in a straight line but lack any sideways traction at all. I ask as their tread pattern looks quite similar and am curious. I won't be buying a set in the near future as I have only just bought a new set of tyres and are very happy with them so they will stay. Just one for the knowledge bank.

I wouldnt know mate I havnt had a set of claws. and by sideways traction do you mean sidewall or going sideways. If its going sideways I found it surprisingly easy to flick it out on the dirt

Warnie
28th May 2011, 07:23 AM
I wouldnt know mate I havnt had a set of claws. and by sideways traction do you mean sidewall or going sideways. If its going sideways I found it surprisingly easy to flick it out on the dirt

Yeah Ben, going sideways, like when you are going up a clay type track and the front or rear starts sliding out due to the straight lugs with no lugs aiding sideways traction.

Ben-e-boy
29th May 2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah Ben, going sideways, like when you are going up a clay type track and the front or rear starts sliding out due to the straight lugs with no lugs aiding sideways traction.

yes they do that. But I noticed on the wet rock at landcruiser park yesterday the sideways traction was alot better

Naukai
1st July 2011, 03:27 PM
got a set of 37 creepies before I had a set of 35 bighorns... can't fault maxxis at all, great tyre but need to drop them real low to get them to bag, 6-8 psi and that is without bead lockers but on a 8 inch rim on road only about 20 but do ok, a tad on the noisy side though. had a bit of a issue with hooking up from wet mud to rocks and all reports are they aren't that good in the mud rocks transision but overall they are good, first bias tyre that I have used and love em.

twisty
8th July 2011, 10:41 AM
I've got Maxxis 700 Bravo A/T P265/70R16 112S on my GU. With VERY little experience their fine, so far, on road and a bit of dirt. BUT ... after reading many posts about tyres, treks and repairs, I looked at the sidewall ply. Two.

I checked again the next day. It still said two. I've read that 4x4 tyres should have more plys than that. You know, sidewall strength, puncture resistance etc. Can I assume this brand is marketed to 4x4 owners who never go on dirt? If so, then I need to upgrade.

4wdKenny
8th July 2011, 11:10 AM
Hi Twisty, Plys and Belts are important for thickness so it is possible to have a 2 ply that is stronger/thicker that a 3 plys due to the belts. Maxxis have very good feedback from users through the 4wd clubs. my daughter had a set for 4 years, they did not wear out so quick as some other brands . They also handle well in many areas and balance well (not square!!) One brand of all terrain tyres I see a few times are really great until the last 20% and then they are next to useless, the maxiis seem to hold well until the last bit of tread is nearly gone! My daughter climbed the steps, central Vic in her Maxxis in a Suziki Vitara when other more 'full on" vehicles were having trouble! Hope they work out goor for you as the pricing is pretty good! regards 4wdkenny

luxo barge
21st September 2011, 03:32 PM
Previous tyres were BFG MT KM, Now got the Bighorns from Maxxis.

Bighorns look Horn, are noisy as they wear, handle very good on the black stuff, and very good in all offroad situations, they wear average, lost 3mm of tread in 15000km, but they are cheap as chips, prob get 40-50000km before they are no good for 4x4, and prob last 65000 before they are down too the limit. Very happy, but the noise sux big time.

Ben-e-boy
28th September 2011, 06:15 PM
Im going to test my 35 in treps on the sand this weekend cant predict how they are going to go

suvrd28
30th September 2011, 09:31 PM
Ive used the maxxis bighorn in 35x12.5x15LT. I found them good offroad in the mud and rocks, have torn them a little and once in 2.5 years spiked one side wall when going through a bog hole i think it was a sharp rock.
Used on my daily drive pretty good grip in the dry and a lillte slippy in the wet just keep my distance in traffic when wet.
I bought them with about 75 - 80 % tread and have lasted me about 50000Ks
Overall i would use them again, now that they have about 5% tread left on them they are noisey and you can feel the blocks of rubber hitting the road at slow speed

Ben-e-boy
2nd October 2011, 10:53 AM
My trepadores went really well on the sand yesterday I had the rears down to 12 psi and I took most of the beach entrance/exits in 2wd

twisty
15th November 2011, 12:10 PM
I've got Maxxis 700 Bravo A/T P265/70R16 112S on my GU. With VERY little experience their fine, so far, on road and a bit of dirt.

Spent last weekend on gravel and rock with pressures at 25psi on day one and 20psi on day two. No mud or sand. I went everywhere everyone else did with little tyre spin/slip. We did travel through a bit of mud and the tread packed nice and firm (looked like a racing slick). But we got through. Happy so for but will upgrade next year.

bordertech
21st March 2012, 01:12 AM
Currently have 35" Bighorns. Have been on SA's softest beaches, blackest mud, the outback with heavy loads etc. Have exceeded all expectations so far.

Winnie
21st March 2012, 07:34 AM
I am going to be buying a set of AT700 Bravos soon in 265/75/16R for daily driving, 99% bitumen roads. Was going to get a pure highway terrain but I don't wanna have to change to my muddies if I wanna drive on wet grass haha. The 700s look like a great road tyre with pretty good dirt/sand/rock abilities, can't imagine them going too good in the mud but that's why I've got muddies as well.

Biscuits
20th August 2012, 07:49 PM
just picked up a set of 33/12.5 /15's and WOW, what an awesome tyre, Far exceeded all expectations

Robo
2nd September 2012, 01:42 AM
What's the go, "for us learners"
Suggested Tyre Pressures for Maxxis Bighorns.
33 x 12.5 x 15
List Your vehicle & or why your suggesting a certain pressure.
Eg slow, fast, light ,heavy load, some details please

PSI
On Rd.---------
Off Rd.---------
Creeks---------
Hills.-----------
Sand.----------
Muddy trails.--

copy paste and fill in the details.
Thanks.

Biscuits
2nd September 2012, 01:35 PM
As a learner too, I would be very interested in this too, I have found though that these tyres are still holding strong all the way down to 8 PSI, and I havnt been afraid to let the air out when I have been stuck

PSI
On Rd.--------- 35psi, as that is what is on the side of the tyre
Off Rd.--------- 20psi, this is where I see the tyres starting to bag out
Creeks---------
Hills.-----------
Sand.----------15ish PSI only driven on sand once, and it was more wank value to air the tyres down as it wasnt that thick, and had a dirt base.
Muddy trails.--

robbo0001
20th September 2012, 07:55 PM
What's the lowest anyone's been on maxxis? ( 285/75 16 muddies)
Situation- dropped tyre pressure at home, because the vehicle can't clear garage roof with roof racks on, after the 2 inch lift.
Got down to ten psi, wasnt willing to go any lower incase I rolled a tyre off the rim.
Still 15-20mm to high..so the roof is going up.
It raised a question though,
How low have people been, without damage?
I normally go straight to 20 psi, as soon as hubs are locked.
Just curious,
Cheers

Trolatron
20th September 2012, 08:55 PM
I have a set of 33" and a set of 35" in Bighorn's and have run them down to 16psi on sand and in the bush without any problems but I think 18 is safer.
I have driven some obsticles easyer than others at times and have also struggled when others made it look easy so its hard to say if its the tyres or the line picked or the difference
in the veichles for that particular obsticle or if its tyre choice. It would be nice to retry an obsticle again after swapping tyres with others in the group see if it makes any difference but thats never going to happen, too much work in that..

healy
20th September 2012, 09:50 PM
I had my first decent run in my 35" bighorn last week and I'm impressed i was in some serious mud and worked a treat

Jacket_1985
24th March 2013, 09:18 AM
Iv had 37x13.50 maxxis mudzilla's. 37x12.50 maxxis creepies. 37x12.50 comp trepadores.

I rate the creepies and treps very highly. muzillas were rubbish just like all tyres with that tread pattern. were very quiet on the road though.

NP99
24th March 2013, 10:24 AM
I have no complaints with my ATs, next time ill look at road tyres.

Ben-e-boy
25th March 2013, 08:50 AM
Iv had 37x13.50 maxxis mudzilla's. 37x12.50 maxxis creepies. 37x12.50 comp trepadores.

I rate the creepies and treps very highly. muzillas were rubbish just like all tyres with that tread pattern. were very quiet on the road though.

What do you think is better the creepies or the treps.
I have only done on comparison between the 2 and they were both radial 35's, I think they are pretty similar but the thing that surprised me was the side wall tread on the treps out performed the creepies side wall tread on rock both wet and dry.

Stropp
25th March 2013, 02:08 PM
yes i have mudzillas and they are crap, scalloped all over the place and only about 3500 ks on them, never again.

Jacket_1985
25th March 2013, 07:51 PM
What do you think is better the creepies or the treps.
I have only done on comparison between the 2 and they were both radial 35's, I think they are pretty similar but the thing that surprised me was the side wall tread on the treps out performed the creepies side wall tread on rock both wet and dry.

Iv had both in bias obviously, not radials.
Creepies are better on road, -wear much better. treps mince em' on EVERYTHING else, they even grip on road brilliantly. nice an quiet, just have to get pressures right.
after owning creepies for a while in 37's, i was so impressed that i wondered why you dont see them in comps more often. . . . . now iv owned trep's, i wonder no more. treps grip more.
if i Had to pay full price for tyres and wheels i would buy simex et2 36x12.50's and whack em on 16in allied savanna's. best aggressive wheel combo money value IMO.

i dont want anyone to think that creepies arent brilliant. . . they are. treps are just in a league of their own with simex in hot pursuit. creepies are a VERY easy 3rd choice of tyre. and a possible 1st choice if i had only one set of wheels. cant run treps daily -wont even last 5,000km. other options if i could only have one set of tyres would be procomp extreme MT's, or BF goodrich MT's both in 37's. in that group it would be easy to go for the maxxis creepie in 37. tyre life would be a bit less than the other 2, call it 30,000km instead of 45,000km, but grip would be better than both.

iv had:
interco boggers, 38.5x13
interco swampers, 38.5x13
maxxis creepies, 37x12.5
maxxis mudzillas, 37x13.5
maxxis treps, 37x12.5
simex et2's, 35x11.5 and 36x12.5
mickey thompson bias claws, 35x12.5
and more. -basically iv tried most mainstream aggressive tyres i can get my mitts on. iv been offered a set of 40in trep's at a really good price by greg @ G&S tyres. i havnt tried 40's yet.
just to see how they go. . . . ill have to chop my guards and ditch my flares and get flexy flares.

oh, and if you want to run treps, get yourself sponsored part or in full, or bend over when you get the bill.
most tyres are around 450-550ea. comp 17in treps arent.

Tank
25th March 2013, 08:20 PM
I looked at some Bighorns last year when I was getting new rubber and didn't go with them due to fact that they are small 33, They were over an inch shorter in height than the GT Radials I got. A mate of mine got the bighorns at the same time and we do similar km's and they wore out reasonably quickly compared to the GT's
Just my 2cents

scott.a.green
16th August 2013, 06:42 AM
I've had both the Maxxis Bighorn and 751. For the money they're ok, found the Bighorns to be a bit washy in the sand and a tad loud on the road.But great in the mud and over the rocks. The 751 are great at what tthey're designed for as a general all round tire for the money.

Kano
19th August 2013, 03:48 PM
I had Maxxis Bravo 750 H/T as the back tyres on my patrol. Had a blow out on the right back corner yesterday coming into Alice Springs on the highway. I've done 9,000km on them. In the wet they do slip a little but in the dry they seemed fine. Also on the beach they are great in the soft sand. They have been wearing a lot quicker then I would have thought after 9,000km. I'm not sure why the tyre blew though, maybe I picked up something sharp along the way. I don't mean to be negative against Maxxis as I'm sure the A/T's and M/T's are good. I just wouldn't buy the H/T again. I just put a set of Bridgestone D697 A/T on today.

street76
11th September 2013, 10:15 PM
Had Maxxis 751 33x12.50 on the truck when i bought it. With only 25% tread i did the muddy Watagans tracks, rock climbed and took on some big bog holes and never had a problem. A great tyre but was told that maxxis have phased them out, so i am giving the dynapro atm ago, i have nothing but praise for the 751 and are real quite on the black stuff.

Rustyboner81
12th September 2013, 01:06 AM
Big Horns.....sand......rubbish, they go and get up most dunes but dig you down real quick on the beach and turn the tops of dunes to icing sugar for your mates. Everything else all good. I dont notice much noise on the bitumen either

Mrbeef
10th December 2013, 02:00 PM
Got a set of buckshot mudders 32x11.5xr15x10.

We're new on the shorty gq. Running 32 psi on the road - haven't been thru any decent mud or sand to lower them tho, not keen on the 15x10s haha.

But seem to handle on road alright, little noisey but that's a lot of rubber on road. See how they last as I live on a gravel road with a heavy foot ;)

PeruY61
10th December 2013, 02:23 PM
Use Bravo on mine, so far excellent. No noise, and great on sand once I lower them down to 12-15 psi. on the road I use 32. I have Yokos Geolandar on my Frontier and IMO they squeal a lot compared to the Bravo.

Warwick89
10th December 2013, 09:41 PM
The missus runs bravos on her Rav at 34 psi and their excellent been on there for 12months and about done about 35000kms and look almost new. I have bighorns on the trol 36psi on road and their nice and quite and have handled everything off-road so far.

Love em

PeruY61
11th December 2013, 02:29 AM
Im curious about you guys running MT's on the road. Is your braking, turning ability compromised? I cruise at 180kph on my commute to work, 300kms. I was scared of using MT's so I went for the Bravos.

Clunk
11th December 2013, 11:37 AM
Im curious about you guys running MT's on the road. Is your braking, turning ability compromised? I cruise at 180kph on my commute to work, 300kms. I was scared of using MT's so I went for the Bravos.

Wow 180 kph, not even sure if mine could go over 140 hahaha. I think the legal limit on most freeways and highways on this large island of ours is only 110kph. So we'd be in a spot of trouble if caught doing 180

PeruY61
11th December 2013, 12:03 PM
Luckly speed limit is not enforced Peru.
I notice that wind is really an issue for me at these speeds. Im going to switch my shocks for Bilsteins and see if handling gets any better.

MEGOMONSTER
11th December 2013, 10:58 PM
A mate of mine with a pooluiser swears by them, and is on his 3rd set after 250000ks.

Warwick89
22nd December 2013, 10:35 PM
Update on the 265/70r16 bighorns after two full days driving the beaches. As mentioned above great for the dunes with the 3LRT gu climbing everything in its path but the beach is more of a struggle. The biggest downside is the soft sidewall which I noticed doesn't like limestone very well lol actually the sidewall is very soft and the slightest obstacle will set you back, thankfully I only lost on tyre but it should f been more.

Conclusion: I love the types but I won't be going close to any tracks with stones or a lot of voltages again unless it can't be helped

RubberDuckieGQ
18th October 2014, 09:56 PM
Just got MT 762s (33x12.5x15) this morning so will add my feedback after testing them out over the long weekend

Got a really good price at a place in Preston - $225 per tyre fitted/balanced

BigRAWesty
18th October 2014, 10:03 PM
Geeze mate that's a bargin.
I had the at980's fitted for 265 a corner in a 33x10.5x15.

Atm I like them. They showed fast wear in the first few thousand k's but now have really settled.
Taking anything I do easily, even mud they kept up with the mud tyre with cleaning ability.
A little noisy but there and aggressive at so can't expect highway noise levels.
Will measure tread depth at 10 thou.

Dave_H
24th March 2015, 10:50 AM
Just had new Maxxis fitted. I already purchased 2 Maxxis 751 275/65/R17's last year from a store that shut down so went to buy 2 more last week but they don't make them anymore,
So i tried to get the AT700 but they were not able to get them as they were out of stock and could not order any in so i ended up getting AT980's. My god are the 980's noisy at low
Speed (30-40kmh) but good once you get up to 60kmh all good.

You have me a bit concerned Kallen, i'm hoping mine don't wear to quick but i only average 10,000k's a year so it's not to big of an issue i suppose. Will keep you guys updated.

BigRAWesty
24th March 2015, 12:39 PM
Just had new Maxxis fitted. I already purchased 2 Maxxis 751 275/65/R17's last year from a store that shut down so went to buy 2 more last week but they don't make them anymore, So i tried to get the AT700 but they were not able to get them as they were out of stock and could not order any in so i ended up getting AT980's. My god are the 980's noisy at low Speed (30-40kmh) but good once you get up to 60kmh all good. You have me a bit concerned Kallen, i'm hoping mine don't wear to quick but i only average 10,000k's a year so it's not to big of an issue i suppose. Will keep you guys updated.

Yea that seem to have lost that first but quickly but now are going ok. Should see 60-70 thou out of them.
Yea I noticed a bit of noise increase, but still quiet compared to full time mud tyres.