PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Feedback - Mickey Thompson

Maxhead
9th September 2010, 10:52 PM
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/images/tyre-mtz-thumb.jpghttp://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/images/tyre-atz-5-rib-thumb.jpghttp://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/images/tyre-atz-4-rib-thumb.jpg

Tyre Feedback threads are designed to give members positive and negative feedback and other information relating to a particular tyre brand.

Please post first hand accounts on the Mickey Thompson tyre only as this is NOT a tyre bagging thread

Information we are looking for is noise, grip, look, wear, handling, recommended PSI or any other information that members find useful and is relevant to the tyre type.

Please post your comments/feedback and vote in the poll to show your tyre type preference.

Russell1974
9th September 2010, 11:37 PM
Agree with you plasnart on basically everything you said but add they are good also for climbing out of ruts with the tread on the side walls

Bigrig
30th November 2010, 12:08 PM
ATZ 4 Rib would have to be the best 'compromise' tyre I've had - grip on road wet and dry is more than acceptable, road noise is not too bad at all, and off road grip in multiple terrains (shale, dirt, sand, mud) is very good all round ... as said, a compromise as I need something that is good on road (family bus also) and we do pretty much a 50/50 split on sand and dirt/mud, so these have proven (so far) to be top value for money ... got the whole five fitted (285/75 r16) for $1620.00 with a 90,000 klm guarantee/warranty. Even if I get 70-80,000 out of them, that equates to over 4 years of driving for me.

jaxt
3rd February 2011, 06:52 PM
^^^ agree bigrig.
ATZ 4ribs have served me well so far.
I would prefer the sidewalls have a bit more protection though.
got mine (33's) fitted for $325 each

Bigrig
3rd February 2011, 06:54 PM
^^^ agree bigrig.
ATZ 4ribs have served me well so far.
I would prefer the sidewalls have a bit more protection though.
got mine (33's) fitted for $325 each

Great price - and agreed - bigger side biters would make them simply awesome ... that said, mine are coming off in a few weeks for a set of 305/70R16 Mud Terrains (33"x12.5" in the old money - still Mickey T's though - was thinking BigHorn's, but the MT's have really impressed me).

jaxt
7th February 2011, 03:25 PM
so are you going to go bighorns?

Bigrig
7th February 2011, 03:31 PM
so are you going to go bighorns?

MT's. 305/70R16's. Go on in a couple of weeks before I head up to Landcruiser Park.

GUte
7th February 2011, 11:24 PM
Just put a used set of 285/75/16 MTZs on my ute and have been very impressed with them so far. Much quieter on the road than the bighorns I had on my d22 and they're almost brand new.
A friend has put claws on his SWB and will not be buying them again, wearing too quick and chunking out on rocks.

Will defiantly replace these with another set of MTZs when the time comes

Bigrig
7th February 2011, 11:49 PM
Just put a used set of 285/75/16 MTZs on my ute and have been very impressed with them so far. Much quieter on the road than the bighorns I had on my d22 and they're almost brand new.
A friend has put claws on his SWB and will not be buying them again, wearing too quick and chunking out on rocks.

Will defiantly replace these with another set of MTZs when the time comes

Great reference mate - fingers crossed, mine go on in two weeks!

Dark 1
9th February 2011, 11:32 PM
MT's. 305/70R16's. Go on in a couple of weeks before I head up to Landcruiser Park.

What are you doing with your AT's Scotty.

Bigrig
10th February 2011, 09:51 AM
What are you doing with your AT's Scotty.

Sold them to Redman on the forum mate.

growler2058
17th March 2011, 08:55 PM
I'm with plasnart on this 1, havent done heaps of k's (10,000) yet but so far they have been surprisingly quiet, they actually noisier on sand, we also have them on our 120 Prado (i know shouldnt swear) and they are safer on the bitumen wet and dry we have found. In the mud excellant and bloody good in the sand as well. I love em, and will definately get em again but in 35's for the troll instead of the 33'sx12.5 (4"lift)

big_fletch
17th March 2011, 09:39 PM
I hear so many good reports from the MTZ's, when the BFG's muddies wear down i am almost tempted to replace them with a set of these in 35's and give them a crack...
Then again the KM2's are so bloody good LOL

macca
22nd July 2011, 07:47 AM
Just done a 4000klm trip on the new 33" MTZ tyres.
We were loaded probably near GVM.
Set front pressure at 34psi cold measured footprint length then set rears to same footprint, the tyre had 42psi to match the fronts.
Hot the went up to 37 and 47 psi. Rode well, reasonably quiet and as they were new I measured wear and they were all about the same 0.9 - 1.1mm the right front wearing the most.
Have yet to air down and try them off road but impressed on road thats for sure.
Had STT's before and those buggers were noisy when worn. Be interesting to see what these do
Macca

Bigrig
22nd July 2011, 08:03 AM
Just done a 4000klm trip on the new 33" MTZ tyres.
We were loaded probably near GVM.
Set front pressure at 34psi cold measured footprint length then set rears to same footprint, the tyre had 42psi to match the fronts.
Hot the went up to 37 and 47 psi. Rode well, reasonably quiet and as they were new I measured wear and they were all about the same 0.9 - 1.1mm the right front wearing the most.
Have yet to air down and try them off road but impressed on road thats for sure.
Had STT's before and those buggers were noisy when worn. Be interesting to see what these do
Macca

They get noisy brother! Mine are 30-40% worn and the noise is kicking up - not as bad as a mudder of course, but to be expected when you get a 90000 klm guarantee ... bloody good tyre though either way!!

High_Mod_Performance
4th August 2011, 07:27 PM
Ive Got the MTZ's 33/12.5/R15 had them for about 10-15000kms and they have been great. taken everything i have thrown at them and then some, great on the road even in the wet and they look tuff as.
Very happy so far

gavinsell
25th August 2011, 06:44 PM
What do people think of Micky T MTZ.. how many ks do you get out of them and is there something better from another company. i have herd alot of people say alot of good things about them lately. in a 33'

Thanks

growler2058
25th August 2011, 08:25 PM
I love my Mickey T MTZ run them on the troll and wifeys prado

Mazodude
14th September 2011, 01:25 PM
Just got some MTZ's 33" (285/75 R16) and have been brilliant so far. Not much noise on the highway.

_Greg
28th September 2011, 02:17 PM
I have run cooper STT on my patrol for a while now, after switching from BFG's when michellin bought the company and started making softer rubber compound tyres. they all make softer rubber compound tyres now, and thus all tyres wear much quicker than they used to. but I swapped the rear tyres (getting low on tread) to the MTZ 285/75/16. for the first 5,000 km it felt like my back wheels were loose and were going to fall off. the car literally steered from the rear. after they wore in, then they gave me better responsiveness on the dirt than other tyres that i have run, and am generally happy with them, except for the softer rubber compound that all tyres come in these days.

Granny
2nd December 2011, 06:16 PM
I had FC2's on my old 60 series Landcruiser but I am and have been running atz's on my Patrol for 3 years. Both are great tyres, but I think the FC2 is a bit quieter on road.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-42.761516,147.314338
A Bad Days Fishing Beats A Good Day At Work!

Bulbous
3rd December 2011, 12:35 AM
I'll go with the ATZs, not a lot else here than sand

bobnsue
10th March 2012, 01:01 PM
At the moment I am running the new STZ mickeys on my Isuzu ute and have not got any complaints a real good tyre but have had to fit at standard sizes because here in Queensland the tyre companies WONT fit bigger tyres to your vehicle then standard and insurance companies are wiping you coverage if you have bigger tyres fitted.
When patrol arrives will be fitting Mickeys to it

macca
10th March 2012, 01:56 PM
Done a few K's on my MTZ now and a fair bit in 4WD, wearing really well, even and no scolloping of the treads.
They are incredible off road, just keep grabbing in mud or on rocky stuff.
Is it me, or the change to a Patrol or the tyre?
Don't know and don't really care, just having a ball!!!!
Used to the road noise, thats a price to pay to have a good day on the tracks.
Macca

Choicebro
6th August 2012, 12:23 PM
ATZ 4 Rib would have to be the best 'compromise' tyre I've had - grip on road wet and dry is more than acceptable, road noise is not too bad at all, and off road grip in multiple terrains (shale, dirt, sand, mud) is very good all round ... as said, a compromise as I need something that is good on road (family bus also) and we do pretty much a 50/50 split on sand and dirt/mud, so these have proven (so far) to be top value for money ... got the whole five fitted (285/75 r16) for $1620.00 with a 90,000 klm guarantee/warranty. Even if I get 70-80,000 out of them, that equates to over 4 years of driving for me.

Hi Bigrig , how did these work out for you. I'm about to replace mine on the patrol and like the sound of these MTZ's. Allso where did you purchase from please

Jacket_1985
26th March 2013, 08:51 AM
iv had 2 sets of atz's. great road tyres. iv had claws. rubbish.

macca86
4th April 2013, 08:21 PM
I'm 10000 km into my atz 4 rib. I came from bfg at. I have not noticed and difference on the black top besides a little more road noise but still quieter than I thought. wearing well. Off road these things are really good for an all terrain. I do country dirt roads farm tracks ad graded roads these things are not half as skatey as the bfg's bite into the dirt and loose rock and was ona hill on the farm cutting a new track I thought I'd turn around on the hill down a gully. Underestimated the slope and te rain we've had for 2 weeks and started sliding sideways down the hill talk about sphincter muscle clenching. I put the righ foot down turned te wheel ad all a saw was grass and mud fly outi gained traction ad drove out of it. I'd be on my side down a gully in my old bfg's

threedogs
4th April 2013, 08:32 PM
Very happy with my 305 x 16 MTZs on their last legs now but served well over all terrains.
Will buy again I think maybe 315s this time not 100% atm,
Noise good when new not that bad now noisier at 60kph than 100kph

Warwick89
18th July 2015, 09:36 AM
Bump. Anyone have any reviews on the ATZ P3's?

Hodge
18th July 2015, 02:42 PM

Had some on my Patrol for about 15k before selling the car. Great tyres, kept up with most people wearing full muddies, and they have minimal noise. Will definitely be going on my next Patrol.

Yendor
18th July 2015, 07:28 PM

I've had a set fitted for about 2 months now and love em.

On the black top they handle just as well as the standard tyres.

I've done a couple of trips so far in rocky loose terrain with some nice hill climbs and they performed very well.

I don't normally play in mud but last Thursday I was out at Glasshouse and was very surprised how well they self cleaned and how well they performed in the mud I did go through.

I haven't had them on the beach yet but I can't see there being any problems.