PDA

View Full Version : Any other alternators fit an MQ?

Dan030
26th February 2012, 05:29 PM
Ive had a bit of a search around the forum and haven't found an answer to this. I was just wondering if an alternator from a 280z or even a vl commodore or aussie skyline would fit the L28 engine in my patrol? There don't seem to be many second hand alternators around for the old MQ but the old nissan z car ones and the commodore ones can be had for 50 bucks or so.

So I just wanted to know if one of those would fit without too much stuffing around? I'm guessing i'd need to change the pulley on the front but other than that I dont know.

Any help appreciated.

MQ MAD
27th February 2012, 10:35 AM
The L28 from the Z cars are the same motor,as well as in other nissan,so the alternator should be a simple bolt up

Youll generally not see many L28 patrol gear advertised on say egay or the likes as theres just no demand for the stuff,more so the diesel gear
But trolling on forums , wanted adds on forums youll find what ya want

Dan030
27th February 2012, 06:38 PM
Thank for the reply

Johan Safari
29th February 2012, 02:22 PM
Search Z-car forums like the 240z forums. The always have 4 sale and swap sections. I once fitted a unit from a '92 Maxima to my L28 MQ, but had to get help with the wiring removing the trols old external regulator since the new alternators have them built in. Bracket and pulley fitted with no modification. I also "upgraded" the brake booster with the Maxima unit. Huge improvement and everything fitted no adjustment required!

Finly Owner
4th March 2012, 01:55 AM
How did ya go Dan? I think I have one.

Tim

GQ TANK
24th April 2012, 04:44 PM
A internal regulator alternator can be fitted, you need to unplug the external regulator and do a couple of jumpers.

Basically on the internal re alternator - there are two thin wires that need to be connected.

Thick wire - connects to the battery.
Sense wire - connect to the battery
Light wire - Goes to the dash light

A vl alt can be adapted - but you will need to change the pullys the L28 uses a V belt while the vl use a serpentine belt.

I have also used a EF pully - but you need to buthcer the mounitinh bracket on the alternator