PDA

View Full Version : Alternate engines.

wez06
26th February 2012, 02:19 PM
I bought an 08 Patrol 3.0 ute with 45km on the clock. The engine is economical but crap to say the least. The 4.2, i could see the fuel guage moving on the test drive so i didnt go in that direction. What are the best options for an engine change? Cummins isf 3.8 or Iveco 3.0 htp, do they fit? Please help, nissan engines :mad: are annoying! its doesnt deserve nads or aftermarket stuff.

Bigrig
26th February 2012, 02:57 PM
Hey mate, slip over to the intro section when you get a chance and tell us a bit about your rig and yourself. No harm done, but something we ask for and you'll get heaps better response.

Do a search for recent engine conversions etc (just did one myself), and you should get a few hits. Others will have plenty of input also no doubt.

Tweakedoffroad
26th February 2012, 05:37 PM
Agree with big rig It would be better to head over to intro and say hi.
What sort of conversion are you after economy power ????

aaron
26th February 2012, 09:46 PM
Mate have a look at this site they do kits to fit after market motors eg. Gen3 - ls1 ls2.... chevey td's

You will need the 4.2 gear box tho as the 2.8td & 3.0td box's are to small and can not handel the power....

http://www.marks4wd.com/

:biggrin::icon_driving::biggrin:

wez06
26th February 2012, 11:04 PM
well thx for ur help guys ill giv the ppl at cummins a call tomoro to see wat they can do.

97_gq_lwb
27th February 2012, 12:05 AM
Wasn't their someone on here that worked on cummins engines saying what rubbish they were last week.

aaron
27th February 2012, 06:15 AM
Yes mate that is me i work for Cummins in rockhampton and if it was me id not get 1. But it is up to you what you want to run ive jus seen to much go wrong for me to ever run 1 my self id perfer a chevy turbo. but it is up to you.......

normal problems i see alot of are eg. cam shaft snaps in half 130'000km - crank bolts snap makeing nice hole in the block 120'000km to 160'000km - 1 had the turbo impella crap it self and go in the motor- head cracks every 40'000 km normaly. dont let me put you off geitng 1 tho........ I think they onley good for a boat anchor !!!!!!

in syaing all that im off to work to replace another Cummins heap of #^*!@#

Maxhead
27th February 2012, 07:24 AM
What's wrong with your 3.0l. I think the motor is fantastic, economical and heaps of power and torque. Yes it doesn't deliver that power till about 1800-2200rpm but that is just a matter of getting used to.

MQ MAD
27th February 2012, 10:10 AM
I bought an 08 Patrol 3.0 ute with 45km on the clock. The engine is economical but crap to say the least. The 4.2, i could see the fuel guage moving on the test drive so i didnt go in that direction. What are the best options for an engine change? Cummins isf 3.8 or Iveco 3.0 htp, do they fit? Please help, nissan engines :mad: are annoying! its doesnt deserve nads or aftermarket stuff.
Most large engined 4bies are dear to run.
Either way you go doin a conversion of sorts , you could have bought the 4.2 and done years of motoring to cover the cost of a conversion
If it aint broke leave it

taslucas
27th February 2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah I'd think about how much fuel you could by with the money spent on a conversion (a few years worth probably). As for the 3lt blowing up, theres a lot of info on here about making them strong and reliable.
All the best

Lucas

eddietrx
25th April 2012, 03:44 PM
Im doing a VH45 conversion at the moment its a tight fit but should be a tough 4by when its done