PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Feedback - BFG

Maxhead
9th September 2010, 10:48 PM
http://www.bfgoodrich.com.au/config/images/tire_models/PD_AllTerrain.jpghttp://www.bfgoodrich.com.au/config/images/tire_models/PD_MudTerrainTA_KM2.jpghttp://www.bfgoodrich.com.au/config/images/tire_models/PD_LongTrailTour.jpg

Tyre Feedback threads are designed to give members positive and negative feedback and other information relating to a particular tyre brand.

Please post first hand accounts on the BFG tyre only as this is NOT a tyre bagging thread

Information we are looking for is noise, grip, look, wear, handling, recommended PSI or any other information that members find useful and is relevant to the tyre type.

Please post your comments/feedabck and vote in the poll to show your tyre type preference.

big_fletch
27th October 2010, 07:19 PM
I have just fitted a set of BFG Mud terrain KM2's in 285/75 16. Road noise is no where near as bad as what i thought it would be (being my first set of mud tyres), with the windows up you can barley hear them, and as the name suggests seem to work very well in the mud. I am running them at about 38psi. Will keep updated with wear.

So far extremely with them

Fletcha

Bloggsy
27th October 2010, 07:42 PM
I have the same size BFG Mud Terrain KM2's as Fletcha on my GU. I have found them a lot quieter than the MTZ's I had previously. I'm not knocking the MTZ's though they were a good tyre but I think the KM2's have it over them in all situations so far that I have pointed the Patrol at. They did a 8000km round trip to the Kimberley (Gibb River Road etc...) and did not have any issues with them, no flats, no chipping, nothing. On road, day to day with the Patrol being quite heavy I run 38psi front and 40psi rear.

Also, previous to the MTZ's I had BFG All Terrain KO's in the same size, I could not fault them either.

Cheers,
Darren

NissanGQ4.2
27th October 2010, 09:15 PM
voted twice for this one, it really depends on what driving you are mainly doing 2 which one is better

i have all terrains atm, after having a set of muddies, had no real problems with the muddies, only downside was loss of traction in the wet when traveling down the mountain side which has lots of sharp corners, travel this road every day 2 and from work ( done a 180 and was close to going over the edge! ) was happy with wear but cant remember for the live of me how many k's i got out of them.
A lot happier with the all terrains, much better drive down the mountains side, no where near as much traction loss :)

Ruby
3rd April 2011, 01:33 AM
I've had the BFG ATs now for 16 years. Tried Yoko and found them very soft and wore out at 40K. The BFG AT's get around the 80-100K. I think that the noise is low and gripping is worlds apart (better) than the Desert Duellers that come as OEMs (they last me <30K, before the wet handling is too scary for me, but the wear is still legal). I find with the correct tyre pressure, I've never had an issue with grip. Never had a puncture of flat in all the years of owning BFGs. Was going to try coppers but was scared off, with the class action of some owners for the poor wear that they are experiencing. By the way, I have manage to get US made BFGs as I have read that the non US versions have a softer rubber compound. Not sure if this is a myth or not.

luxo barge
21st September 2011, 04:38 PM
Had BFG MT KM lasted 80000km to tread wear blocks, acceptable on the black stuff, noise was less than expected [good], pricey to buy after 70000km were not too good offroad, but for the first 65000km were excelent offroad in all situations.

gu radelaide
30th December 2011, 07:36 PM
Im on my second set of ATs on my GQ wagon never had a puncture and both sets have done over 90, 000 kays and still have a little left. new gu has duellers on it and am not impressed one bit will be putting BFGs on it when the coin allows it. i run 265/75/16 on my gq and will pu t285/75/ 16

nullack
18th February 2012, 03:36 PM
I bought 5 BFG Mud KM2 radials. Awesome on rocks and mud, decent on sand and on road. What suprised me and continues to do so is how dam quiet they are for a muddie. Ive ran coopers, mickey thompsons, swampers etcetc and these are the best true mud tyre for overall balance between offroad and on road I've ever used.

jackwalks
22nd April 2012, 10:52 AM
I have the BFG All-Terrain 265/70R16 on my GU II. I started of with a set of Coopers when I purchased my truck, but noticed that there was flaking & wall tear on them (not sure how long the coopers were on there for). A mate suggested I try the BFG & I have not looked back since. travelling from Sydney to Townsville via Dubbo & St George I found that the BFGs were outstanding. Minimal road noise good traction both in wet & dry. I have done about 15-20k km on these tyres so far, and they still look new & almost no tread wear.

wherethehellarewe
24th April 2012, 11:29 AM
I run BFG a/t's for my daily runners , i buy them second hand and just can't kill'em . Most of us know they're crap for wet grip and won't self clean in the mud for anything but i love'm in the sand and gravel. Long live the mighty BFG A/T .

jackwalks
24th April 2012, 08:28 PM
won't self clean in the mud for anything.

I wish my car would self clean :)

aj and sarah
24th April 2012, 09:14 PM
i have bfg a/t on my swb and run about 35psi for high way and down to 18psi for the sand dont seem to have a problem with them.

Tango173
1st May 2012, 03:20 PM
Did 90K on the A/T's. Found that I was wearing edges at 36 psi so drove on 40psi for road use. This made for a stiff ride once off the tarmac. The majority of my 4x4 driving is in sand (fire trail and beach) and found i needed to drop to 16psi for the soft beachs on the south coast of WA. I won't hesitate to drop to 12 psi when the going gets tough. Overall i was happy with overall wear but won't be buying them again. I now run BFG muddies KM1's for the last 4 years and they are wearing great also. They are much better on the beach than A/T IMO. Also loads more grip on the fire trails. I run them on the same tyre pressures as the A/T's. Either tyre has not fallen off the rim and no blow outs

Cheers

june
18th June 2013, 05:19 PM
I have had bfg all terrain's on many vehicles over the past 20 years. currently running 265/70/17. last year they did the simmo, Birdsville track, cape York creb track and maytown palmer river and tele track. and that was with 45,000 on them before the trip, without one puncture. they are scared on side wall as well as tread but still hanging in there. they have 73,000 on them now and rubber is getting hard. getting a bit scary in the rain. tried mtz and km2 but the Nissan is more set up for touring so I stick with the at's

04OFF
18th June 2013, 05:39 PM
Did 90K on the A/T's. Found that I was wearing edges at 36 psi so drove on 40psi for road use. This made for a stiff ride once off the tarmac. The majority of my 4x4 driving is in sand (fire trail and beach) and found i needed to drop to 16psi for the soft beachs on the south coast of WA. I won't hesitate to drop to 12 psi when the going gets tough. Overall i was happy with overall wear but won't be buying them again. I now run BFG muddies KM1's for the last 4 years and they are wearing great also. They are much better on the beach than A/T IMO. Also loads more grip on the fire trails. I run them on the same tyre pressures as the A/T's. Either tyre has not fallen off the rim and no blow outs

Cheers

Funny you say you found muds better in sand , because i found my BFG MTs better in the sand than the BFG ATs, i just put it down to going from 32s (AT) up to 33s (MT), but at only 10mm wider and 15mm taller ,i honestly expected the muds to be worse due to the higher effective gear ratio and such a aggressive hole digging tread.

Even the mrs noticed the difference (from the passenger seat) without me saying anything ! :)

FNQGU
8th August 2013, 07:21 PM
Have just returned from a trip of only 800 odd klms, some highway, some normal dirt road, and the Maytown to Laura Road in the middle. This trip was done with a brand new set of KM2 MUD TERRAINS, so I thought I'd post some pics of how they finished. The track itself is a bit less than 80 odd clicks, but some sections of it are classed as heavy going on jagged rocks and slate and some damage to your tyres is to be expected. There was only one location where I had to winch myself up and over a rock jump-up, but lots of low range and loose rocks flying out the back in a cloud of dust (the dash cam often failed to show how hard the track was or how much fun we were having on it).

Overall I was more than impressed with how they handled to rough stuff. I have previously only used BFG A/T's, Bridgestone Dueller MT's, and the Wrangler MT's (model before the Kevlar came in). I would rate the BFG MT better than I would have expected the others to perform for this particular track, and must say that I think they will be the best I have used in general off-road driving so far, although obviously there are many more to try... The previous Wrangler MT was also a bloody good tyre and would have done this track with ALMOST equal aplomb.

The Maytown to Laura track has several offshoots, and some of these are very hard on tyres with much slipping and hard driving to get up steep rocky slopes, so obviously the outer lugs will cop the worst of it.

For most of the trip I ran them at 22psi, but they did heat up and raise pressures to 27psi during the middle of the day, requiring them to be lowered again. This is to be expected of course. There was also some small sand patches where I took them for a run, at the lower pressures, and they performed well, although perhaps not as well as the other three tyres have in past experience. I could be splitting hairs but did think they dug in a little more.

At the end of the day there were no punctures or any damage to the sidewalls, so I was happy with that.

Below are some pics of the damage that the tyres finished with after some fairly hard rock driving, the worst of which could have been avoided by taking the tourist route...which just wasn't the order of the day. Another little enjoyment was that the 80 series and the 79 series Toyotas in our group were both doing things a lot harder than I was, albeit without a locker in either vehicle...

nissannewby
16th December 2013, 12:53 AM
Ok. I have racked up 80,000km on mine to date. They are a 285/75/16 KM2. They were balanced when fitted and once again at 55,000km. I rotate them every 5000km when I do a service, a couple of times have gone out to 10,000km. I tow a horse float which empty weighs 1800kg, go up the beach, out to glasshouse, dirt/gravel roads and majority of bitumen driving. For a mud tyre they handle bloody well even on wet bitumen, are quiter than most other mud Tyres and wear better than most as well.

Going by the measurements between new and worn to the indicators I will be seeing 100,000km out of this set of 4. I certainly will be buying these again.

BigRAWesty
16th December 2013, 06:26 AM
Ok. I have racked up 80,000km on mine to date. They are a 285/75/16 KM2. They were balanced when fitted and once again at 55,000km. I rotate them every 5000km when I do a service, a couple of times have gone out to 10,000km. I tow a horse float which empty weighs 1800kg, go up the beach, out to glasshouse, dirt/gravel roads and majority of bitumen driving. For a mud tyre they handle bloody well even on wet bitumen, are quiter than most other mud Tyres and wear better than most as well.

Going by the measurements between new and worn to the indicators I will be seeing 100,000km out of this set of 4. I certainly will be buying these again.

Talking to a few Tyre dealers and they all say it's unlikely not to get those figures from a modern mud Tyre.

I guess mud tyres are the New At's, AT'S the New HT's and HT's belong on sedans... Lol

MEGOMONSTER
16th December 2013, 08:47 PM
Although my KM2's have only had one trip, I did notice that they are quieter than other tyres I've heard.
They do have a few wounds/marks from the Knockwood trip which was very rocky and dry.
Having done a few Wombat trips also found them great in the mud but I did notice on slightly slippery slopes the car would slip to the right for a millisecond before gripping (if you understand what I mean).

megatexture
16th December 2013, 08:57 PM
Will it pull when under hard braking ?

MEGOMONSTER
16th December 2013, 09:31 PM
Will it pull when under hard braking ?

Is this question for me, if so, didn't have any problems under brakes.

megatexture
16th December 2013, 09:36 PM
Yea mate it was for you lol , thought it could be uneven breaking

mudnut
16th December 2013, 10:38 PM
The BFG Rugged Terrains have impressed me, so far. I did feel a lack of control in really muddy creek crossings, but I made it through any way. On the sand, they are excellent, quiet on road too.

MEGOMONSTER
16th December 2013, 10:48 PM
Yea mate it was for you lol , thought it could be uneven breaking

I just noticed it going up slippery terrain, it would kick to the right ohhhh so slightly under acceleration but only when tire lost traction.

nissannewby
17th December 2013, 12:09 AM
The BFG Rugged Terrains have impressed me, so far. I did feel a lack of control in really muddy creek crossings, but I made it through any way. On the sand, they are excellent, quiet on road too.

They are a nice looking tyre too

93patrol
17th December 2013, 01:01 AM
i ve had the BF A/T ko's for 10 years now and racked up 100 000km on them i run 33x12.5x15 and am now looking to switch to the KM2 just becasue i am leaning more to the mud/rock side of driving, I have taken the A/Ts everywhere and never had a flat or trouble getting through sections that the guys with the muddies get through other than i probably use a bit more rpm and hit it a little bit harder than they do. But I doubt i will be moving away from the bfg tyre.

on sand i run 15psi pretty much on all beaches and have never got stuck and in the bush i range from 20-25psi again with no dramas

Maxhead
17th December 2013, 05:44 AM
I have heard from one of the tyre shops BF is bringing out a new AT.....I don't know how true it is but I wonder what its like

BigRAWesty
17th December 2013, 06:42 AM
Yea I think the 4 rib is being replaced by a ATZ2.
We covered a bit in my old thread.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=438565

Maxhead
17th December 2013, 06:46 AM
Yea I think the 4 rib is being replaced by a ATZ2.
We covered a bit in my old thread.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=438565

Yeah, I was talking about BF Goodrich tho.
Apparently there is a new AT on the way.

BigRAWesty
17th December 2013, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I was talking about BF Goodrich tho.
Apparently there is a new AT on the way.

So you were.. Lol
I might have to investigate

threedogs
17th December 2013, 07:56 AM
I had great mileage from BFG a/ts , they don't like being aired down, and when down on tread tend to "tram track"
I sold them to my BIL at 100K he got another 30 out of them .
The new MT atz3 I think has neat side biter

ezza57
25th March 2014, 11:14 AM
I agree BFG a/t's 285/75/16 on my patrol, good economy and great tyres,

my 2 cents worth

nissannewby
29th April 2014, 09:55 PM

Mudnut how are these Tyres going mate I have to start thinking about my next set and are undecided whether to go another set of km2's (which I will prob see 110k out of my current set) or try the rugged terrains.

jack
30th April 2014, 02:35 PM
Put BFG KM2's 285/70/17 on the truck about 1200k ago. So far very impressed, mainly done road kms but they really shone in the mud. A bit noisier on the blacktop than the Bridgestone Dueler AT's but that's a very small price to pay for the added off-road performance.
Due to the bigger tyre my fuel usage has increased by about 1.5 litres per 100k but that is partly offset by the fact my speedo is now correct at 100kph. In reality my speedo is now accurate and previously I was calculating fuel usage on an inaccurate distance covered.
Hope I'm still as impressed in about 60,000km's, but going on feedback from others I won't be disappointed.

dads tractor
1st December 2017, 05:48 PM
Put BFG KM2's 285/70/16 on my ute and at 46k and running 50psi front and 45psi rear and only rotating between front and rear on the same sides I have 8mm of tread left right across the tyres .Also running beads for balance check pressure every fortnight .Hope this info helps .

growler2058
1st December 2017, 06:09 PM
Weeeelllllll getting good life from them but..........................................OMFG THEY HAVE GOT SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOUD!!!!!!. Probably wont get them again. My MTZ's got good life too on the GQ and never got loud like this. Almost unbearable

GQtdauto
1st December 2017, 06:40 PM
Weeeelllllll getting good life from them but..........................................OMFG THEY HAVE GOT SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOUD!!!!!!. Probably wont get them again. My MTZ's got good life too on the GQ and never got loud like this. Almost unbearable

That's what your radio is for ?

Noisy yes , great in the slippery stuff yes , not bad in the sand yes yes , would go again when these wear out yes .

growler2058
1st December 2017, 10:12 PM
That's what your radio is for ?

Noisy yes , great in the slippery stuff yes , not bad in the sand yes yes , would go again when these wear out yes .

Nup back to MickeyT MTZ's

AB
1st December 2017, 10:17 PM

You used to be cool Growler.

Awesome GQ, loved life, then got a Gu and now complaining about tyre sound, c'mon man FFS :)

NissanGQ4.2
2nd December 2017, 06:20 AM

Awesome GQ, loved life, then got a Gu and now complaining about tyre sound, c'mon man FFS :)

Old age, it only started happening when he turned another year older, give it another year and he will be deaf and won't hear the noise anyway *LMAO*

growler2058
2nd December 2017, 09:19 AM

Im pharkd ay!

FNqGu04
2nd December 2017, 09:59 AM
This is to dads tractor , how do you find the balance beads in your tyre's ?

Craig

dads tractor
2nd December 2017, 09:04 PM
Craig got mine through Jaxs in Mackay and we started with 1 bag per wheel for the 285 70 16 ko2 but being a heavey tyre we added 1/2 bag extra and forget .The best thing was I picked up mud on the outside left rims coming out of Gunshot and they balanced as soon as we got up to 70k again .This technoligy was developed for super singles on trucks so has been around for a while .

Grant209
14th August 2020, 12:53 AM
Hi All,

Kick starting an old thread I think :-)

Never had BFG's before, have had kumho AT51 All Terrain's and Dueler D697 All Terrain in the past om my D22, but the truck had a combination of 3x A/T Mud KM2 & 2x KM3's on the truck when I got it back in December 2019, both with over 70% wear I think on the tyres.

From the start I had issues with the death wobbles, tighten the wheel bearings, removed a shim from each of the King Bearings and that fixed things for about 10k's, then the death wobbles started to appear again. replaced the Drag Link and steering damper, and then took the car in for a wheel alignment. The guys from the Tyre shop said the tyres had uneven wear, moved the tyres around, so that the best two were on the front . . . death wobbles gone again :-)

So all up, I got around an extra 20.000klm on 70% worn Km2 & KM3's from when I got the car. I found them quiet stable on the road in all weather conditions, excellent out 4WD'ing as I expected, but noticeably more noisy as they wore down.

I just got a full set of 235/85R16 BFG A/T Mud KA3's on the truck this week, having put Two KM3's on the front last month, so I'll be interested in seeing how long the BFG All Terrain Muds KM3's last, being Mud's . . . I'm thinking (and I might be wrong) that the rubber is softer compound then All Terrains, but happy to be corrected.

Cheers

balwayne
24th August 2020, 02:09 PM
I had BF Goodrich KO2 (https://4wheelonline.com/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ta-ko2-tires.295365.0). These all-terrain tires have an aggressive tread. Great for off-road and highway use. You can feel the bumps in the street but not really bad.