PDA

View Full Version : Aircon Pulley..doesnt like water...

jaseb13
25th February 2012, 10:01 AM
hi guys,

the pulley on my aircon decided it didnt like the puddles and needs to be replaced..is it possible to replace the bearing only or am i up for a new aircon unit??? im a bit non iffy on aircon units..

any help would be appreciated as its my new job for the day...

cheers jason

Bigrig
25th February 2012, 10:19 AM
Not sure boss - I'm heading down to my mechanic today to pick up some gear, so will pose the question and let you know what I find out.

jaseb13
25th February 2012, 05:50 PM
cheers BigRig..

so from what ive been told the bearing cant be replaced, due to it running all internally as well..so having to get a new Aircon compressor i thought id try repco just for a price, well after i sort of stumbled i
re focused & realised that the lady said it would cost me $1400!! couldnt get out of there fast enough...

so i found a second hand one for $300 spent the morning fitting it & now enjoying many beers in this
37 degree heat..what a day..

Bigrig
25th February 2012, 05:54 PM
cheers BigRig..

so from what ive been told the bearing cant be replaced, due to it running all internally as well..so having to get a new Aircon compressor i thought id try repco just for a price, well after i sort of stumbled i
re focused & realised that the lady said it would cost me $1400!! couldnt get out of there fast enough...

so i found a second hand one for $300 spent the morning fitting it & now enjoying many beers in this
37 degree heat..what a day..

Good stuff mate!!! Glad you sorted it!!!

Yendor
25th February 2012, 09:26 PM
A bit late I know, but yes, the bearing in the front of the A/C compressor can be replace.

On the 2.8 and ZD30 this can be done in the vehicle (saves having to regas the A/C system).

I am not sure about the other engines.

jaseb13
25th February 2012, 11:52 PM
im running ZD30 but late or not its still good news, although i have the issue with re-gas, i still kept the old one..if its true ill suss it out and try get the bearing replaced..always good to have spares i suppose..

cheers fellas..

Airstrike
26th February 2012, 02:14 AM
I wonder if you can replace or service the AC Clutch

Yendor
26th February 2012, 10:05 AM
Yes you can replace the clutch on the A/C compressor, if you can get a new one.

Normally what goes wrong is there becomes to much air gap between the clutch plate and pulley face and the clutch starts slipping when the A/C is on.

Remove the clutch plate, there should be a shim behind the clutch plate. If you are lucky all you need to do is remove this shim, clean up the clutch plate and pulley face and reassemble.

If there is not enough air gap when the shim is removed the clutch will drag when the A/C is off, you will need to try fitting different sized shims.

Airstrike
26th February 2012, 10:22 AM
Yes you can replace the clutch on the A/C compressor, if you can get a new one.

Normally what goes wrong is there becomes to much air gap between the clutch plate and pulley face and the clutch starts slipping when the A/C is on.

Remove the clutch plate, there should be a shim behind the clutch plate. If you are lucky all you need to do is remove this shim, clean up the clutch plate and pulley face and reassemble.

If there is not enough air gap when the shim is removed the clutch will drag when the A/C is off, you will need to try fitting different sized shims.

Thanks Yendor. I was told different things. Good to get the truth.

Robo
26th February 2012, 02:13 PM
Over the years I have popped the seals out of a number of bearings, cleaned em out re-greased and replaced seals.
providing bearing is ok why not.
Seal still has to do it's job keep grease inside.
especially here as you dont want grease on clutch.
I've done this to a number of idler pulleys over the years.
some have had Vaseline from new not even bearing grease.
cheers

frenzy
21st September 2012, 04:45 PM
I had the same problem on my 06 GUIV 3.0L TD. Replaced the belt and the idler pulley and bearing (from repco, not the whole assy like Nissan sells) with no result. I then read the above and removed the shims inside the A/C clutch and it doesn't squeal anymore! Thanks Rodney for the tips.

Note: I had to use a puller (no, not Bigrig) to get the clutch off the compressor.

Cheers,

Steve

johno90
21st September 2012, 08:02 PM
Just curious did you put oil in the new compressor and how long did you have the a/c lines open for?

Robo
24th September 2012, 02:02 AM
Idler bearing on 90 mod TB42 GQ maverick is replaceable.
Well the 1 on sons mav is.
The idler bearing No was 6203DU2.
Cheers
Anyone know the clutch bearing No?

ebay has AC stuff

frenzy
24th September 2012, 08:49 PM
GU 4 3L TD from the book at Repco.