PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing grease?

stants
9th September 2010, 06:28 PM
gq patrol wheel bearings, Am just wondering whats the best grease/ type to use on them? any preference?
thanks
stanton

YNOT
9th September 2010, 06:30 PM
I use Castrol HTB.

Tony

patch697
9th September 2010, 07:04 PM
X2 Castrol high temp for me as well.

Finly Owner
9th September 2010, 11:17 PM
after an accident @ work I recommend HTB grease in any wheel bearings including your forgotten box trailer.

I once had a boss tell me to remove a wheel from a trailer when a customer had bought it back with the brake left on. I bebd down, tap the dust cap off, and boiling hot grease blew out over my face. The grease was only multi purpose and had boiled and burnt. The bearings were shot. Had it been HTB it may have saved the bearings and may not have got to boiling point. The company since put out bulletin recommending HTB'
H igh T emperature B earing grease. Castoral is very good and easy to purchase.

SIMO2X
28th November 2010, 09:35 PM
yeha HTB x4, How did u recover finly? Get hurt bad mate?

sweet_gq
29th November 2010, 02:47 PM
Just did mine 2 weeks ago, got some HTB grease from Don Kyatt in seven hills on powers rd...

different from the castrol - different colour and smell, but came highly recommended.

will see how it goes

B

Milik607
12th February 2011, 10:19 PM
I used oil mixed with petroleum jelly and I was very happy with it.

timbar
12th February 2011, 10:21 PM
i use Penrite htb grease

Silver
19th February 2011, 02:57 AM
HTB for me, although I notice that Castrol now make another grease that they say is suitable for disc brake wheel bearings as well as general chassis work.

Dont use LMM as according to a mechanic mate of mine it is too slippery for bearings, but fine with bushes, eg, don't use LMM in wheel bearings or unis, but do use in ball joints