PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case and thicker oil

97_gq_lwb
23rd February 2012, 02:31 PM
The other day i changed my transmission and transfer case oil.
When i drained the transfer the old oil looked a lot thicker then the gearbox oil.
Since changing the oil i notice it has a lot more of the low speed rumble.
Has anyone used a heavier oil in the transfer to reduce noise.

Silver
23rd February 2012, 02:44 PM
I have a Maverick. Some people put the same grade of oil in the Tfr case and the gearbox in Mavs - and it is the Tfr case oil they use in both.

I believe mine was set up that way, and it was hard to select first and second gear in winter (in Brisbane -so not much of a winter :-) )

I used the factory recommended oil for Tfr case and gearbox, and the gearbox oil was lighter/thinner than the tfr case oil.

Not quite your situation - I don't know of anyone using heavier oil to quiet a noise. I do know people who have used Nulon and other products in oil.

97_gq_lwb
23rd February 2012, 06:10 PM
I used SAE 75W/85, API GL4. vmx-m castrol just had another look on their site and noticed notes 89
May also use CASTROL EPX 80W/90. With chain-driven transfer case (1992-on models), use CASTROL TQ DIII or CASTROL ATF DEX III.
May also use CASTROL MULTITRAX or CASTROL SYNTRAX 75W/90
Might give the 75/90 a go. has anyone else tried it

aaron
24th February 2012, 11:45 AM
If it says ATF DX III use it i put 80w-90 in my 99 GU and the transfer case binded up onley the GQ culd reay use 80w-90 in the transfer case

04OFF
24th February 2012, 01:05 PM
If it says ATF DX III use it i put 80w-90 in my 99 GU and the transfer case binded up onley the GQ culd reay use 80w-90 in the transfer case

I think the use of ATF in GUs was in conjunction with the fitting of auto hubs, thick oil in the transfer may turn the front drive shaft just enough to make the auto hubs think 4wd has been engaged, so anything with auto hubs should always run the thinner oil.

If my assumption is correct, i would suspect running the thicker oil may be better for those of us who have replaced/converted, auto hubs with manuals ?

Robo
24th February 2012, 02:04 PM
check model and listed oil to suit.
the above comments about chain drive requires ATF is correct from memory.
I'm running Castrol Synthetic ATF with no problems or noise.
but you need to be sure what you have and use the correct oil.

How thick was the oil 75-90w 90w 140w ?

front tail shaft should only be driven by box if 4x4 H or L is engaged.
without selecting 4x4 front shaft should spin freely, until man hub engaged or auto hub self engaged.
hope this helps.

If you where thinking ATF was a typo, no it isn't, just use/go with what's listed for the case you have.
My R32 Gtr skyline also uses ATF in a chain driven case and front diff is engaged full time with no problems and ATF is also the recommended oil .
I think, "my theory", the reason ATF is listed for chain drive model is.
chain would possibly airate the oil considerably and the thinner ATF type oil would release the air much more than a thicker oil and better protect as a result,
cheers.

97_gq_lwb
24th February 2012, 08:42 PM
The oil that came out looked more like a 140 w
A lot of manuals use auto trans fluid we used to use it 20 years ago in 2 stroke motocross bikes for easier gear changes.
And a lot of people were putting into manual cars as well commodore t5's use it with an additive.

Robo
25th February 2012, 02:55 AM
Sorry, sounds like noisy bearing may be the reason heavy oil.
could be Lucas or Morey's stabiliser additive may be!