PDA

View Full Version : GQ Y60 diesel auto 4WD "ATP" question

CptClinac
23rd February 2012, 12:07 PM
Hi All,
Quick question...
We have a GQ Y60 (1988) diesel automatic. We use it almost exclusively for towing our boat.
On the boat ramp our SOP is to use low ratio 4WD.
We sometimes have problems getting it into low 4WD.
If in Park, we slide the lever, push down and slide but it stops short of engaging.
If in Neutral, we slide etc and get a grinding crunch. We can't slide it back either without the grinding.

What should we be doing? What is "ATP" (we have a red "ATP" light with explanation in Japanese).

Thanks for any advice.
Dave.

taslucas
23rd February 2012, 12:18 PM
Hi All,
Quick question...
We have a GQ Y60 (1988) diesel automatic. We use it almost exclusively for towing our boat.
On the boat ramp our SOP is to use low ratio 4WD.
We sometimes have problems getting it into low 4WD.
If in Park, we slide the lever, push down and slide but it stops short of engaging.
If in Neutral, we slide etc and get a grinding crunch. We can't slide it back either without the grinding.

What should we be doing? What is "ATP" (we have a red "ATP" light with explanation in Japanese).

Thanks for any advice.
Dave.

Not %100 percent sure but I think ATP is Automatic transmission parking . It's the thing that stops an auto from rolling when it's in Park.
On mine it says (in English lol) that when the ATP light is ON that means that the ATP is not working and to be careful that the vehicle doesn't roll away. Maybe there is a problem with the ATP Engaging/disengaging causing it to grind when trying to select low4?

Lucas

NissanGQ4.2
23rd February 2012, 03:40 PM
ATP: Automatic Transmission Park Light Warning

This light indicates that the parking mechanism does not engage.
If the transfer control is not secured in any position while the automatic transmission selector lever is in the "P" position, the transmission will disengage and the wheel will not lock.
Shift the transfer control lever into the "2H" or "4L" position when the warning light comes on.

Copied straight from the GQ users manual.

Cheers

Todd

CptClinac
23rd February 2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys,
OK. Let's see if I've got this straight.
The transfer case is located after the auto unit.
So it makes sense that if the transfer is in "Neutral" then the park-lock would not have any effect.
I suppose that the inability to engage low4 could be just that the gears are just hitting top-to-top rather than top-to-gap.
Perhaps there's enough slush in the transmission to spin the output shaft when the auto is in neutral, this would result in the grind when trying to engage low4 in neutral.

So, when we get this top-to-top 'can't get into low4' problem. How do we spin the transfercase gears just a bit to allow us to engage?

Thanks
Dave

Clunk
23rd February 2012, 11:35 PM
I find that I get the grinding once in a while, transmission in neutral shifting in and out of 4low, doesn't happen very often and not sue why?but I've found that giving thelever a good firm push down, then slide, Ino longer get the grind.