PDA

View Full Version : DLRA Speedweek 2012 - Lake Gairdner, SA

davejones
23rd February 2012, 12:05 AM
Anyone else heading over to the salt from this forum?

Dave

BillsGU
23rd February 2012, 01:39 PM
Anyone else heading over to the salt from this forum?

Dave

Yep Dave - I have a trip of 10 vehicles leaving from Wodonga on the 15th.

davejones
24th February 2012, 01:09 PM
Hi Bill,

Wodonga, just up the road from my old stomping ground - Mt Beauty.

Home of Marylin the Pickles' Monaro.

We'll be aiming to get there on Sunday night and hanging around for a few days before heading to Maralinga. I've been a couple of times before.

Are any of your guys running cars or are you just heading over for a look?

Dave

BillsGU
25th February 2012, 05:17 PM
Hi Bill,

Wodonga, just up the road from my old stomping ground - Mt Beauty.

Home of Marylin the Pickles' Monaro.

We'll be aiming to get there on Sunday night and hanging around for a few days before heading to Maralinga. I've been a couple of times before.

Are any of your guys running cars or are you just heading over for a look?

Dave

Nope - we have never been before. Just there to have a look and maybe do some driving in the Gawler Ranges.

davejones
25th February 2012, 07:02 PM
Great week away. One of the best. You'll have a ball.

Remember to pack an extra tarp for each vehicle. When vehicles are out on the lake surface they must be parked on a tarp when ever stopped.

Also, pack a good pair of bino's and some shade.

With regards to shade. You can't get pegs in out on the salt. Any one who wishes to put up a gazebo or shade tent will need to pack a cordless drill, tek bit and some 50 mm (wood) tek screws.

Cut some ply disks about 50mm diameter and screw through those into the salt to secure any guy ropes, tarps etc.

The first year I went I'd heard the tek screw stories and thought I'd better get some of the longest I could get. 125mm I ended up with. I stalled out an 18volt cordless when they were a third of the way in. It's that hard.

Prepare to be blown away by the scenery and the action. It's fantastic.

Also, you get a few nights off cooking. The station canteen on the lake edge has great meals at very affordable prices and a bar. Usually about $15 will get you a good feed of a couple of courses. The pie ute during the day provides brekky & lunch options or you can cater for yourself. The spectators camp area is not far from the canteen but in off the lake. There is no camping on the lake save for those in Animal's bus providing event security.

Dave

BillsGU
26th February 2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks for that Dave. Good info to have.

davejones
5th March 2012, 01:53 PM
Bill,

You might want to start thinking about a plan B. Nothing concrete yet but the lake is very wet. Aerial assessment yesterday by a member shows the whole track & ramp covered in water.

We've had this problem before and it's cleared in a week - wind blown north & some evaporation - but it's not a sure thing. I'm watching the situation fairly closely as are about 600 or so other DLRA members.

The footage is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuuRv5JijD8 and though depressing as hell it's great footage.

The canteen and ramp onto the lake can be seen at about 3:10 into the video. The start line is relatively speaking straight out onto the lake from there, the video finishes up at The Island at around about the 8-9 mile mark.

Cross all your fingers, pray for a run of hot dry windy weather.

I'll post here if I find out anything new.

Dave

BillsGU
5th March 2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks Dave - I have been keeping a close watch on the DLRA forum and I also monitor the 24/7 info line. I have a plan B in the waiting, and it will be no where near South Oz!!! They say there is about 150mm of water in the lake. Hard to believe it will clear up in two weeks and still be OK to race on. I watch and wait with my fingers crossed.

davejones
10th March 2012, 12:38 AM
Speedweek has definitely been cancelled due to the fact there's too much water on and in the salt.

Bugger.

Googs Track? Mt Ives and Lake Gairdner are still worth a look on the way.

Dave

BillsGU
10th March 2012, 12:52 PM
Speedweek has definitely been cancelled due to the fact there's too much water on and in the salt.

Bugger.

Googs Track? Mt Ives and Lake Gairdner are still worth a look on the way.

Dave

Yep - thats correct Dave. Very dissappointing. Maybe next year.

I have reverted to plan B - and it is no where near South Oz?

davejones
9th April 2012, 10:14 PM
Looks like we have dates for a rain delayed event in late May & a possible short track event on Lake Omeo in October.

:)

BillsGU
10th April 2012, 06:24 PM
No good for me. I will try again next year.

tusman
11th April 2012, 06:35 PM
I'm Hoping to make it to Omeo, if not this year then next as the Old man and a few mates have been putting together a belly tanker to run and is nearly complete