PDA

View Full Version : Spare Wheel ?

iht2670
22nd February 2012, 10:05 PM
Would you guys fit a rear bumper with a spare carrier or just use rear door for spare ?

a 35in tyre seems to prevent rear doors opening

Steve.

AB
23rd February 2012, 07:00 AM
A lot people put a spacer on the carrier extending it out further to allow 35" tyre to fit and some people even cut a lug out too...lol

Bigrig
23rd February 2012, 09:22 AM
The problem I found with my spacer is it gets the tyre away from the door, but conversely seems to out more strain on the hinges due to the extended distance from the door and the rear barn door is noisier - also, the outside edge of the tyre comes close to hitting the light assembly when opened and that's with 33's, a 35 would definitely hit ...

I've now got a tie down on top of the drawer system inside the truck for when we tow the trailer (store everything in it), but if you're travelling without one, then the tyre takes up too much room internally. One solution seems to cause another problem!! lol

taslucas
23rd February 2012, 09:27 AM
You might be able to die grind out the holes of the bracket so that you can move the tyre over a bit. It worked for a mate that had 35s. Not sure if he had a spacer to help the tyre clear the brake light when door is open. I'll take a closer look next time I see him.

Lucas

Silver
23rd February 2012, 09:47 AM
I don't have any direct experience of this.

There is a recent post on here about a GU door with stress cracks, and it was carrying a standard si2e wheel. One of the posters responding to that asked if anyone had used the spare to climb onto the roof rack.

I don't know whether GQ barn doors are more, or less robust.

From the little I know, if corrugations are on the agenda, I'd be investigating a carrier - but I'll defer to people who really know what they are talking about :-).

Trolatron
23rd February 2012, 11:29 PM
My 35 touched on my bumper so I made a new bracket 50mm higher which also helped out with the tyre touching on the brake light and I only have 3mm gap between the small door and the tyre.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/Bendero7/IMAG1911.jpg

taslucas
24th February 2012, 07:48 AM
My 35 touched on my bumper so I made a new bracket 50mm higher which also helped out with the tyre touching on the brake light and I only have 3mm gap between the small door and the tyre.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/Bendero7/IMAG1911.jpg

Nice looking bracket, I might have to put an order in.......lol