PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Thompson Tyre pressre info

Cowboy
22nd February 2012, 06:55 PM
Hi all,
On this current Patrol '04 ST-L 3.0lt Wagon, we have Mickey Thompson BAJA ATZ Radials.They are LT265/75R16 with the Load Range being "E".
Currently we are running them at 50psi on all 4, without the van on.
On our last Patrol (4.8lt), we were running Maxxis at 38psi all round and with the van on the back, we would up the rears to 45psi.
Does anyone know what the average pressure should be for the Micky Thompson's??, should I up the rears even further with the van on, or are we already over on pressure???
The van weigh's 2.1T

Cheers

Rick

Maxhead
22nd February 2012, 08:26 PM
50 does sound very high. I would run them at around 40 (or less)for black top. maybe 42(or less) in the rear with the van. Just my opinion and I have no experience with MT ATZ's

Bigrig
22nd February 2012, 08:52 PM
50 does sound very high. I would run them at around 40 (or less)for black top. maybe 42(or less) in the rear with the van. Just my opinion and I have no experience with MT ATZ's

X2 - they'll expand through the centre of the tyre leaving it to wear faster than the outer edges, and having less 'equal traction' on the tyre across its width on the road.

Dhuck
22nd February 2012, 09:03 PM
I would even look at 38 unladen

Dave

growler2058
22nd February 2012, 10:34 PM
Dunno about the ATZ but my tyre guy said my MTZ should run 34-36psi, which i do on the troll and wifeys prado (siad in a very low murmur) and all godd wear wise to date

Cowboy
24th February 2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks guy's
Just made a few calls to different suppliers and all seem to say the same;
38psi all round and up the rears to 45psi is ok with the van on.
That's basically the same pressures I was running the Maxxis with on the other Patrol we had.
Hmm, must admit, after posting this originally, the next day I lowered the pressures to 40psi, and guess what?????

My damn teeth stop rattling out of my gums.. hehe... so much smoother ride... bugga

Cheers

Tweakedoffroad
24th February 2012, 07:15 PM
I use to run my ones at 36-38 on the balck top they rode better u also need to figure your normal driving weight ie a fridge all the time a roof rack etc

TimE
25th February 2012, 02:37 PM
My GU IV is heavy, rear bar, twin spares, drawer system etc.

I run MT FC IIs, 285X75X16.

On the Tar I run 44psi all round, up the rears to 46 psi when packed up and/or towing the KK.

On good dirt I run 30 psi, 32 in the back if loaded etc.

Rough tracks and firm sand 24 psi, 26 in the back if loaded etc.

Soft sand 20 psi, 22 in the back if loaded. (18 psi all round to climb Big Red, did it first try) I don't tow the KK into dune country.

50,000 ks and tyre wear is even on all tyres and no punctures (touch wood).

rottodiver
25th February 2012, 09:02 PM
Dunno about the ATZ but my tyre guy said my MTZ should run 34-36psi, which i do on the troll and wifeys prado (siad in a very low murmur) and all godd wear wise to date

Growlers...
can we please have a photo of where you keep the prado......... just need to make sure it is not close enough to contaminate the patrol (must be nice having neighbours who allow you to park it in their garage so it doesnt ruin the look of your house)

Scotty

Bigrig
25th February 2012, 09:29 PM
Growlers...
can we please have a photo of where you keep the prado......... just need to make sure it is not close enough to contaminate the patrol (must be nice having neighbours who allow you to park it in their garage so it doesnt ruin the look of your house)

Scotty

Hahahaaaa ... and there it is!!!! lmao

aaron
5th March 2012, 10:17 PM
lol hahahaha...... 34-36 psi bud 50psi is way to high

stets
6th March 2012, 12:41 AM
i got 120,000 k's out of my MTZ's probably 75% on tar. 89 GQ LWB

i ran 37 minimum on the tar empty, loaded i would up it to suit the weight, sometimes over 45. sand as low as 11 for the real soft stuff, 25 for good gravel roads if empty and maybe 27 when loaded. but usually around 16 for almost everything except for tar, gravel and soft soft sand.