PDA

View Full Version : Diff Lock ?

iht2670
22nd February 2012, 10:09 AM
Whats best for GQ front Diff LOKKA or AIR LOCKER what do you guys think ?

Steve.

Bigrig
22nd February 2012, 10:46 AM
Ohhhhhhh .... you'll open a can of worms on this one old mate!!! lmao

They're both great, and it really comes down to personal preference as to whether you want to be able to turn it on and off, or set and forget.

The auto lockers I've seen in action are awesome and always there when you need them, and are probably less than half the price fitted. That said, I have an ARB air compressor hooked up to a TJM ProLocker (air) and couldn't be happier ...

No doubt you should get plenty of response on this one mate and good luck whichever way you go.

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 11:13 AM
Ohhhhhhh .... you'll open a can of worms on this one old mate!!! lmao

They're both great, and it really comes down to personal preference as to whether you want to be able to turn it on and off, or set and forget.

The auto lockers I've seen in action are awesome and always there when you need them, and are probably less than half the price fitted. That said, I have an ARB air compressor hooked up to a TJM ProLocker (air) and couldn't be happier ...

No doubt you should get plenty of response on this one mate and good luck whichever way you go.

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide the difference. When a front locker is engaged while going on a side hill, the car is more likely to sledge (so that the front wants to slide down hill). And I thought maybe not being able to turn the auto locker off would cause this to happen. Does anyone with auto lockers find this happening?

Lucas

growler2058
22nd February 2012, 11:19 AM
Lokka Lokka Lokka Lokka Lokka absolute best $400 I've spent :-)

Bigrig
22nd February 2012, 11:20 AM
I'm in the same boat, trying to decide the difference. When a front locker is engaged while going on a side hill, the car is more likely to sledge (so that the front wants to slide down hill). And I thought maybe not being able to turn the auto locker off would cause this to happen. Does anyone with auto lockers find this happening?

Lucas

Benny has one in his - he's on his way here (on a plane) so I'll ask when he arrives around lunchtime.

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 12:04 PM
Benny has one in his - he's on his way here (on a plane) so I'll ask when he arrives around lunchtime.

Hang on..... So which wing does he have the lokka on? Or both?

Lucas

Bigrig
22nd February 2012, 12:06 PM
Hang on..... So which wing does he have the lokka on? Or both?

Lucas

Has an auto locker in the front. Nothing in the rear.

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 12:15 PM
Has an auto locker in the front. Nothing in the rear.

Cool, well it will be interesting to hear. I'm fairly well sold on an auto locker, it's just the hill thing I don't know about.
And what about higher speed gravel roads? I like to do a bit of that.

Lucas

Bigrig
22nd February 2012, 12:20 PM
Cool, well it will be interesting to hear. I'm fairly well sold on an auto locker, it's just the hill thing I don't know about.

Lucas

Give me two hours old mate and I'll ask the man first hand ... he goes hard at it, and loves it, so I reckon the answer will be "go for it"!!

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 12:33 PM
Give me two hours old mate and I'll ask the man first hand ... he goes hard at it, and loves it, so I reckon the answer will be "go for it"!!

Lol ok you got 2 hours...........tick.....tock.....tick....

Lucas

Bigrig
22nd February 2012, 12:57 PM
Lol ok you got 2 hours...........tick.....tock.....tick....

Lucas

Pressure is on ...

AB
22nd February 2012, 01:12 PM
Pressure is on ...

Interested too mate...lol

growler2058
22nd February 2012, 01:19 PM

Lucas

You dont need to be in 4wd on gravel roads. there is absolutely no effect when in 2wd. Ive found in low 4wd givin it to her on dirt roads where 4wd isnt needed that there is some torque steer there. Havent tried crossing a hill sideways probably not the best idea anyway

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 01:38 PM
You dont need to be in 4wd on gravel roads. there is absolutely no effect when in 2wd. Ive found in low 4wd givin it to her on dirt roads where 4wd isnt needed that there is some torque steer there. Havent tried crossing a hill sideways probably not the best idea anyway

Yeah, I'm not in 4wd on the gravel, just wondering if it made it any heavier or what difference they make in 2wd with the hubs still in?
A typical drive at my place is red clay, yellow clay, hills, river crossings and fast gravel roads. Usually leave the hubs in for the gravel. And it is Tassie, you either go up the hill, down the hill, or across the hill! Lmfao!

Lucas

growler2058
22nd February 2012, 01:50 PM
No effect in 2wd with hubs locked you can hear a clicking as you turn your wheels that's all. No clicking when hubs not locked

rottodiver
22nd February 2012, 02:02 PM
Air locker for me!!!!!!! has never failed me and have had two of them installed for 5 odd years and transferred them between two patrols after a write off!!!

Scotty

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 03:39 PM
No effect in 2wd with hubs locked you can hear a clicking as you turn your wheels that's all. No clicking when hubs not locked

Cheers mate

Lucas

Bigrig
22nd February 2012, 03:58 PM
Benny said, go the auto locker,

He is typing info below:

With the sledging he said that a lot of it is caused by a the LSD opening up and causing rear steer.

Haven't come across the problem so much, but if I see it could happen I simply adjust my line to suit.

When I get home I'll post up a video of it happening.

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks mate I'll have a look at the vid later for sure:-)

Lucas

Lewy
22nd February 2012, 07:20 PM
E locker for me.. They work extremely well!! They are cheaper than air and more reliable!!!!! Oww air lockers how I will never miss you :-) LOL

Lewy

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 08:39 PM
E locker for me.. They work extremely well!! They are cheaper than air and more reliable!!!!! Oww air lockers how I will never miss you :-) LOL

Lewy

I really like the idea of the e-locker. Last time i was looking at them (a while ago), they were about $200-$400 more expensive per end than the arb air lockers , not including the price of the air compressor.
What sort of prices are they now? Do you have both ends done?
Interested in any info about them :)

Ben-e-boy
22nd February 2012, 09:18 PM
I also like the idea of an e locker, but the price of an auto is hard to beat for its effectivess.

The first video is a small example. at about 25 seconds I drive my drivers rear up a rock the lsd opend up and the front swings around
The second it a big exageration BUT... you have to take into account that the wheel was hitting on the tray and I run maxxis trepadores and they are directional with little to no left/right traction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A56ZagLaNYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OkLpHWOqw

taslucas
22nd February 2012, 09:34 PM
Nice Videos mate:) Looks tough!. What brand auto locker do you have?

Ben-e-boy
22nd February 2012, 09:57 PM
richmond got it from top traction

04OFF
23rd February 2012, 10:12 AM
The second it a big exageration BUT... you have to take into account that the wheel was hitting on the tray and I run maxxis trepadores and they are directional with little to no left/right traction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OkLpHWOqw

The thing is , without some sort of locked front diff, i very much doubt you would have got out of that hole at all, so if you did have the ability to turn the lokker OFF in that situation, i bet you would have still left it engaged ?

So in other words , no matter what type of diff lock you had, the front end skid steer would still have occoured in that situation ?

Those with "switchable" lockers please feel free to confirm or dismiss this theory :biggrin: