PDA

View Full Version : Turn Lamp LED's

White Elephant
21st February 2012, 08:17 PM
Folks,

So I bought a bunch of LED globes to replace the standard incandescent ones in the old girl (GQ) The question I have is that when I put the White LED globes into the Turn Lamps (not indicators, I am talking about the static white ones in the fenders) they don't work at all.

The bulbs aren't faulty, becuase I tested them in the reverse light sockets. The standard globes in both the reverse lights and turn lamps appear to be the same 15mm bayonet type fitting.

I understand that a LED specific relay needs to be used for the indicators in particular, but the turn lamps are not intermittant so I didn't think this would affect them, or the current draw.

Any ideas please? :cheers:

NissanGQ4.2
21st February 2012, 09:56 PM
I have know idea sorry, but have 2 ask....... are you in the band in your signature link???

philfree
21st February 2012, 09:59 PM
Hi they should be the same as the reverse lights have you by chance changed all the indicators to led's

Yendor
21st February 2012, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure how those cornering lamps are wired up, but the LEDs are polarity biased

So it's possible the way the light socket is wired up is preventing the LEDs from working.

With standard bulbs it doesn't matter, they will work with power and earth supplied either way.

BillsGU
22nd February 2012, 10:57 AM
LEDs are diodes and they are polarity sensitive. Try turning them around as the negative and positve terminals may be wrong way around.

White Elephant
22nd February 2012, 04:11 PM
I have know idea sorry, but have 2 ask....... are you in the band in your signature link???

Indeed I am mate! Someone finally noticed the link! lol!

White Elephant
22nd February 2012, 04:16 PM
Hi they should be the same as the reverse lights have you by chance changed all the indicators to led's

G'day philfree, I haven't changed the indicators out yet, I need to pull all of the bulbs out to see what I need (I haven't really had the time) cos there are a lot of them, includng the ones in the bullbar.

White Elephant
22nd February 2012, 04:17 PM
LEDs are diodes and they are polarity sensitive. Try turning them around as the negative and positve terminals may be wrong way around.

Thanks mate, these particular ones only have a single terminal at the bottom, half the reason it has left me stumped.

Yendor
22nd February 2012, 05:07 PM
With your voltmeter, put the positive probe on the single terminal in the bulb socket and the negative probe on the inside of the bulb housing.

With the light turn on does the meter read positive 12 volts or negative 12 volts?

White Elephant
22nd February 2012, 05:28 PM
With your voltmeter, put the positive probe on the single terminal in the bulb socket and the negative probe on the inside of the bulb housing.

With the light turn on does the meter read positive 12 volts or negative 12 volts?

I'll have to check it out later on, and will let you know. What should it read for the LED's to work?

davejones
22nd February 2012, 11:43 PM
I'd be suggesting that normally the pin should be positive & the housing grounded, so with the multimeter red lead on the pin in the middle of the bulb receptacle and the black lead to the housing you should be seeing 12 volts or a bit more with the switch turned on.

Another way to check would be to measure the continuity between the housing and any other ground (chassis, neg battery post) it should beep (if your meter has a continuity test) or read 0 ohms (or pretty close to it.)

Dave

Yendor
25th February 2012, 09:48 PM
I'll have to check it out later on, and will let you know. What should it read for the LED's to work?

It should read around 12 volts positive.