PDA

View Full Version : GU 3.0 hard to start when hot.

Magoodwin66
21st February 2012, 12:01 PM
Good morning guys n gals.

I have a GU (2000) 3.0l ST Wagon.
Recently after a reasonable drive (i.e engine got to operating temp). I switched off and worked in the yard for about 40 minutes. When I went back to the wagon it would not start. Plenty of turn over, but no firing. Called RACQ and when they arrived, it work straight away. Note there was probaly a 30to 40 minute wait.

The rACQ guys tested the battery an said it's cranking amps were lower than he expected. I though well it time to replace the battery and I headed off to do so (started straight away). I stopped ot the pub (as you do) after a 30 minute drive and when I got back 5 minutes later, it would not start. Same symptoms. Lots of crank, no firing. wait 30 minutes. No start. Called RACQ. This time the mechanic suggested Glow Plugs. anyway towed it off to a mechanic and waited for thweekend to come to an end.

On Monday (just gone), The mechanic call in the morning to say, the wagon seemed hard to start but fired up an ran. The battery had low cranking amps. I agreed to replace the battery and hoped like hell that was it.

I picked up the wagon that afternoon, and drove it home 40Ks, and while parking, the engine shut off. Alas, it would not start up again. I checked as many electrical connector I could locate before it got dark. 0600 the next morning it fired up OK as if nothing happened.

all this time there is no 'check engine light' So I assume no error code.

So, my question to the brains trust is, what to check next;
1. Ask the Patrol 4x4 forum.
2. earth(s)
3. Glow Plugs? However, am I right in thinking that if the engine was running and restarted immediately after shutting down the plugs should still be 'warm' enough'?
4. shut off solenoid on the pump? (where do I find it and how can I test it?)
5. Computer? (How can I confirm)
5. Anything else?

Regards