PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Won!

benno_84
9th September 2010, 11:44 AM
Hi guys,

Just a funny story from the weekend. My wife and I decided to go for a bit of camping trip, it rained all weekend and so the camping wasn't much chop. On the way hope we were tearing through some reasonably rough roads about 200km from home when suddenly I heard a bit of a noise coming from the back. I jumped out and under the truck only to find that my 'hot dog' which admitedly was a little dodgy had completely come off and was no where to be seen, the rear part of the exhaust which heads up over the rear diff was also completely of the mounts and just dangling in the wind!

Well we tried to get the thing out but we didn't have the clearnance in the rear to get the pipe over the diff so we secured it (with zippy ties and a few other bits!) and drove to a nearby farm.

After a bit of wild jacking (using a tiny little scissor jack and some blocks of wood) and some expletives we managed to get the pipe of. It was then a very noisy 200km home with the tale pipe in the back seat! Lesson learned, fix your exhaust before it falls off. :redface:

Lloyd

DX grunt
9th September 2010, 11:51 AM
Interesting reading benno.

I'm surprised you used zippy ties. Farmers normally use fencing wire! lolol. At least you made it home safely and learnt a lesson. How's your hearing?

benno_84
9th September 2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah unfortunately we didn't have any fencing wire handy out in the middle of nowhere. Once we got to the farm and jacked the car up we just took the whole back end of the pipe right off as the rest was still secure by the mounts. It was a bit loud on the trip home but the pipe fell off after the actual muffler so we still had a bit of suppression! A good lesson for sure and a bit of a funny memory for my wife and I.

AB
9th September 2010, 12:27 PM
Nice story, I always carry zip ties in the car and have a handfull at home.

They are so handy sometimes.

gec
9th September 2010, 12:43 PM
Shame ya didn't have some ducktape as well as the zippy ties then ya could'a made a whole new muffler lol

AB
9th September 2010, 12:57 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/09/6.jpg

patch697
9th September 2010, 01:46 PM
Nicely done Lloyd......

For me its not about what go's wrong its about how you got it sorted & made it home in one piece, along with a bit of a chuckle & a "well that was an interesting day out" when you get there....lolol

& we know how inventive we can get in order to get ourselves home to, which I think is the best part cos then you've got the "Who would have guessed" story's to tell your mates......lolol

Cheers
Paul

benno_84
9th September 2010, 09:46 PM
Do you know my wife?? Lol