PDA

View Full Version : Alloy side rails and steps

antiskeptic
20th February 2012, 10:54 PM
Hey all after much googling I am having trouble finding alloy side rails and steps.

Before most of you say go steel, i am using alloy for weight as I am already trying to reduce fuel load and also I am more of a camper/ moderate 4wdriver, so i dont need mega protection.

Any help guys apprectiated! :)

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2012, 01:45 AM
Go steel mate ;)

I had Alloy side steps and rails on the GQ when i got it and they stayed on for a few years. I had cut a couple of blocks of wood that were the right length to go from underneath the front and the back of the side steps to the ground and every few months would wedge them in and belt the top of the step down to straighten them.

Go the steel mate, your struggling to find alloy for a good reason. They provide very little protection.

What are you trying to protect yourself from? if it is animal strike then the alloy will simply fold up. Steel or save your cash bud.

My 2c

mattyh
23rd February 2012, 07:42 PM
+ the steel look better ;)

antiskeptic
28th February 2012, 07:24 PM
dam you both argue the same points i do in my head....looks like ill be saving a bit more but going to be worth it

cobra
16th March 2012, 10:52 PM
Yep go steel

Silver
17th March 2012, 01:05 AM
The ones I had bolted to the seam in the sill, and to the floor of my GQ. My mate wanted them, but since then his son has killed his GQ.

You can stand on them, but they offer no protection for the vehicle except from mud and dirt.

If they suit you and you are in Brissie, let me know. I would go steel. depending on what you want them to do, the weight saving may be fairly small...