PDA

View Full Version : Ef falcon alt on to gq tb-42.

WHITEGQ
19th February 2012, 09:44 AM
Hi all,
Just thought I would do a post on fitting EF Falcon 100amp alt on to my GQ, TB-42.
I just had my alt on my GQ, TB-42 have a BIG melt down on Thursday, alt light didnt even come on, only noticed when stereo started making popping noises, looked at volt meter on dash and was only reading 6 volts. Took it to auto elec on Friday, they pulled alt apart to find that the stator had completly burnt out, non repairable. So I called a mate who wrecks a few Patrols to see if he had another alt, he had an EF Falcon alt that had been made to fit the Patrol. The Falcon alt is 100amp, it had the original GQ alt double pulley bolted on, also the back mounting leg had been cut off, all bolted straight up, as there was only the 1 leg remaining I made another metal bracket to mount off the back of the alt, then bolted that up to intake manifold. All wiring connected straight up with no modifications, even the 2 wire Patrol plug just plugs straight in. Only thing I did do was run an extra wire from + terminal on alt straight up to + terminal on battery. Turned key on and alt light came on, started Patrol light went out, was showing 14 volts, checked with multimeter with all accesories turned on, ie-twin thermos, high beam/ driving lights, stereo and heater fan on high, RPM at 1000, volts didnt even drop 1 volt. Problem all fixed for approx $100. Sorry to ramble on, but hopefully this will help others. Will take some pic's today and add them to post.

97_gq_lwb
19th February 2012, 11:06 AM
It's funny when you price them as well the standard patrol one being a pissy little thing.
A vl or r31 skyline alternator is an easy fit as well drill a hole in the top bracket swap the pulleys over and the wiring.

Robo
19th February 2012, 12:55 PM
Not trying to validate the std 1.
Is it possible the std 1 is simply a very well designed manufactured and efficient,and smaller simply by design for the intended amps out put.
to be fair not everyone runs dual bat setup.
cant really compare lower amp output and size alone, V8 has more power than 4 cyl.
Don't take it the wrong way, I'm all for improvements if needed, just looking at whole picture.

Cheers

97_gq_lwb
19th February 2012, 02:10 PM
To clear things up actually they are roughly the same size if anything the standard one is larger i mean't the output of the standard alternator is bugger all.

Airstrike
19th February 2012, 02:49 PM
True standard output is 70amp on my GQ so i upgraded to a 120amp. but i am running lights etc.

Yendor
19th February 2012, 03:34 PM
If buying a second hand Ford alternator, make sure it has not been covered in power steering fluid.

The power steering fluid is corrosive and destroys the alternator.

Robo
20th February 2012, 04:33 PM
Alt specs as per Gen Ford, DA Maverick manual.
for TB42.

Model fitted alt standard.
LR170-740.
12v - 70 amp.
27@1300.
58@2500.
67@5000.

Optional fitted alt.
LR190-720.
12v - 90amp
23@1300.
63@2500.
87@5000.

both 14.1 - 14.7 volts.
Cheers.
sorry no specs listed for AU diesel.

97_gq_lwb
20th February 2012, 08:18 PM
That's a bit better i am sure mine only had a 35 or 45 amp in it.

WHITEGQ
20th February 2012, 09:48 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for all your coments, the standard GQ alt that was on my TB-42 was only a 50 amp unit, which has done a lot of years good service, but I do run a lot of heavy draw gear on my GQ, ie- twin Falcon thermos, 120watt high beams/ 120 watt driving lights, 150 watt roof mounted spot light, also run my cooling fan on high 90% of the time. With just my thermos, high beam/ driving lights and fan on this would drop volts down to sometimes under 12 volts, if out spot lighting only using low beam, thermos and fan I would never turn engine off.

no eye deer
3rd December 2014, 03:13 PM
I know this is an old post LOL! But -anyway- when fitting an EF/EL alternator, people cut the back mount off. All good. But on this thread, WhiteGQ says "I made another metal bracket to mount off the back of the alt, then bolted that up to intake manifold ".

Ive just got ahold of an alternator, and am wondering

A: why did he make up a bracket?
B: Should I leave the back mounting point on, and make a bracket?

Anyone done this?

Thanks!!
Mark