PDA

View Full Version : Wiring new electric brake controller

KowBoY1
18th February 2012, 03:01 PM
I have a shiny new electric brake controller in my hand..

Two Questions:

1: Is there a friendly plug in the harness (which I won't be able to use because I don't have the lead but will splice into instead of looking around for the wires)

2: Is the tow package on my patrol likely to already have the electric brake controller wire in the plug? (I am assuming my tow package is factory)

The rig is a 00 GU 2.8TD

AB
19th February 2012, 08:52 AM
Hopefully someone can help you on this one mate...

scotty83
19th February 2012, 09:48 AM
Sorry prob have bad news. My 05 GU didn't. Had to run one and wire into trailer plug.

guterra
19th February 2012, 04:36 PM
What scotty said. For most brake controllers, wiring it up is easy. 1 wire to ground, 1 wire down to trailer plug, 1 wire off the brake peddle (use a test light to see which one is the switched wire. There are only 2 wires), and the other wire straight to battery with an AUTO RESETTING FUSE (20-25 amp). Make sure the wires going to the battery, plug and ground are heavy duty thick cables (about 10-12 gauge). Done.

KowBoY1
21st February 2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your help - I shouldn't have any trouble with that - will go ahead and run a wire to the plug up the back :)

Maxhead
21st February 2012, 10:20 AM
This visual could help.

http://www.webanswers.com/post-images/B/B6/D826C310-16E4-D51B-E935172D5831F160.jpg

bordertech
17th March 2012, 01:33 AM
This visual could help.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/Whats with the other wire going from the battery + through the 40A breaker to the trailer plug? Charging trailer/van battery?

Thanks for your help - I shouldn't have any trouble with that - will go ahead and run a wire to the plug up the back

Make sure you use 6mm cable from the controller blue wire to the trailer plug. You wont get any voltage drop to the brakes then.

ripper
6th April 2012, 05:55 PM
Whats with the other wire going from the battery + through the 40A breaker to the trailer plug? Charging trailer/van battery?
Make sure you use 6mm cable from the controller blue wire to the trailer plug. You wont get any voltage drop to the brakes then.

I'm also wondering what the extra wire is for.

And thanks for the wire size to the trailer plug, I've got to do ours sometime soon.
It's had one before, so there's a wire there already, but I'll check it's size before reusing it.

wildgu6
19th February 2013, 09:37 PM
Think i'll be fitting one of these suckers pretty soon for the camper,
???? on the 40amp cicuit breaker, can any one shed some light ???
Any preference on controller brands, what to steer clear of etc. and best place to purchase ???
Scotty as it was your camper mate & your reading this, what brand controller did you have ??

pearcey
19th February 2013, 09:44 PM
Guy`s the odd wire is an aux power wire which goes to no2 in the plug Not needed unles your running a brake away system

pearcey
19th February 2013, 09:49 PM
Sorry guy`s didn`t finish with a brake away system you need to charge the battery on the trailer part of the system

shakey55
20th February 2013, 09:17 AM
Wild98

A few months ago I took possession of my first CT. It's a Central Coast Campertrailer (very pleased with it).

Back to topic, I have installed a TEKONSHA P3 for my electric brakes. I found it easy to install, very user friendly and work great.

Robo
20th February 2013, 02:00 PM
1700 + hits in 2 days.
Shows how many of us need the forum.
" AB " we need ya heaps.
Thanks man.
done it again! speed reading

Maxhead
20th February 2013, 02:15 PM
1700 + hits in 2 days.
" AB " we need ya heaps.
Thanks man.

You'll find its over 12 months but a great effort all the same. Great forum for info and fun!!

threedogs
20th February 2013, 03:03 PM
And please ,please don't use scotch locks, do the job properly M2cw
as scotch locks will fail

wildgu6
20th February 2013, 07:07 PM
1700 + hits in 2 days.
" AB " we need ya heaps.
Thanks man.

What the ? am i missing something here

You'll find its over 12 months but a great effort all the same. Great forum for info and fun!!

Please shed some light Kris ??

And please ,please don't use scotch locks, do the job properly M2cw
as scotch locks will fail

M2cw ??? lost me TD, are they connectors / joiners ???

wildgu6
20th February 2013, 07:11 PM
Sorry guy`s didn`t finish with a brake away system you need to charge the battery on the trailer part of the system

Im a dumb a$$ when it comes to electrics.... So what you are saying Pearcey, i can use the break away system or alternative is Anderson plug ??? or do they go hand in hand ???

Maxhead
20th February 2013, 07:22 PM
What the ? am i missing something here

Please shed some light Kris ??

M2cw ??? lost me TD, are they connectors / joiners ???

What the ? am i missing something here - Robo thought this thread had 1700 hits in 2 days

Please shed some light Kris ??- I clarified it has been 12 months since the original post

M2cw ??? lost me TD, are they connectors / joiners ??? Medication??

pearcey
20th February 2013, 07:39 PM
G`day Pete
If you have a brake away system fitted to the trailer it will have a battery fitted and it will need to be charged. This battery is only used for the brake system so you can charge it from the aux pin in the trailer plug. you then fit the Anderson plug to charge your trailer battery.
You only need a brake away system if the trailer weights over 2 ton.
Hope this helps. Also check out Brake safe on the net as they make the system
Beers,Scotches , Clipsal and F1 Pearcey

Maxhead
20th February 2013, 07:47 PM
You will also (by law)need a battery monitor for the brake away system. Its just an audible and visible alarm system which monitors your battery voltage in the trailer.

This only applies if your trailer is over 2 T

wildgu6
20th February 2013, 08:26 PM
Sounds all to hard, elec brake controller is all its gettin.
Will give Scotty a bell I think and suss what he was running

TAPPN OUT

pearcey
20th February 2013, 09:57 PM
Pete mate all you will need is a brake controller camper would only weigh 1000 to 1500 Kgs no need for the brake away.
If you need a hand to fit a controller give me a bell. Only problem is I wont be available until after F1 also my fees are quite high, a couple of beers and a bit of BS.
Beers, scotch,Clipsal,F1 and Girls Pearcey

wildgu6
20th February 2013, 10:31 PM
Yer I figured that Pearcey, just didn't understand what the break away was for. Might hold you to that mate, just for the BS factor lol,
So are they upgrading your scooter this year

TAPPN OUT

pearcey
21st February 2013, 06:35 AM
[QUOTE=wild98;335799]Yer I figured that Pearcey, just didn't understand what the break away was for. Might hold you to that mate, just for the BS factor lol,
So are they upgrading your scooter this year
Not the scooters mate but we now have radios with GPS tracking. the baztazds will know when Im in the pub or checking the girls out LOL. At the moment iis work 7 days a week but everything is going good on my side. Hope to catch up at the track mate I can`t drink there so you can have my share HAHAHA.
Cars, Girls and Grog Pearcey

wildgu6
26th February 2013, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=wild98;335799]
Not the scooters mate but we now have radios with GPS tracking. the baztazds will know when Im in the pub or checking the girls out LOL. At the moment iis work 7 days a week but everything is going good on my side. Hope to catch up at the track mate I can`t drink there so you can have my share HAHAHA.
Cars, Girls and Grog Pearcey

The buggers, theyre on to you mate lol, will be there Sunday only this year, so will give ya a bell again mate. and too bloody right i'll have your share hahahahahahaha.
Good news too as we are on the elec brake thread, got a controller already fitted on the camper whoo hoo. will still have to catch up for some BS, spit & bevys though

pearcey
27th February 2013, 06:38 AM
Good stuff Pete glad you got the brakes sorted
It starts tomorrow 4 days of real blokes stuff CARS GIRLS PLANES MUSIC and booze (for some sob sob sob )
carn`t wait

08st
19th March 2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah mate i'am in the process of installing elec brakes to camper-trailer, i just need a bit of advice. In this camper-trailer touring book i've got here says that the brake power wire into Aux , & earth wire into earth.On both patrol & trailer plug there is provision for service bk & Aux pins, So do i need to run power wire from both patrol & trailer to the service bk pin No: 5. Can you confirm for me that the wires on elec brakes have no polarity & i just bought a redarc controller does this need to be wired up properly to test brakes work on trailer. Thankyou very much.