PDA

View Full Version : Factory Rear Locker Not Working!!

gqdriver
18th February 2012, 07:31 AM
The rear locker in my 1990 SWB Patrol isn't working. When i turn the switch nothing happens and one wheel spins.
Is this a common problem with these trucks? Can I fix it? and what is required?
Please Help!
Thanks.

gqdriver
19th February 2012, 06:06 PM
Can anyone help?

GUtsy ute
19th February 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm guessing factory lockers are engaged electrically, so if they are, is there power at the switch?
Is there power at the connection on the diff?
Has the connection on the diif been dislodged or damaged?
Make sure everything external is working before pulling the diff out.

AB
19th February 2012, 07:11 PM
Sorry mate I can't help with this one but the usual problem with these is that they stick in and don't release, not the other way around.

Have a read of this from another member...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3265-Factory-Diff-Lock

taslucas
19th February 2012, 07:50 PM
I'm guessing factory lockers are engaged electrically, so if they are, is there power at the switch?
Is there power at the connection on the diff?
Has the connection on the diif been dislodged or damaged?
Make sure everything external is working before pulling the diff out.

They are vaccum operated. I have read on this forum (somewhere!) that it is common for a solinoid to fail.

GUtsy ute
19th February 2012, 07:55 PM
They are vaccum operated. I have read on this forum (somewhere!) that it is common for a solinoid to fail.

Thanks for the heads up Lucas, hadn't thought of vacuum!!!

Snafu
21st February 2012, 03:12 AM
Yep they are vac operated I used to have a XLT Mav. Now the soleniod pack should be on the passager side fire wall these can stuff up. Also check the vac lines to the diff actuator. The factory diff lock can be a pain to engage when driving. What I have found and can confirm from 3 others is when you need it turn it on and just swerve the vehicle every so slightly left to right to it engages. As for memory the locking collar has only 4 pins so doing the L-R-L-R helps for the collar to allign and lock in a bit easier.
The diff actuator are normally pretty good but I would recommend welding a 3 or 4mm plate over it to protect it, as replacement isn't cheap.

gqdriver
27th February 2012, 08:54 PM
It turns out its the diff head and locker mechinism is the problem. Looks like its all coming out.

Robo
1st March 2012, 02:43 PM
At what speed are you trying to engage lock.
system has a speed sensor circuit.
get your hands on a genuine repair manual.
has full description and test procedures to help you out.