PDA

View Full Version : Super cheap auto tube bender. How to use

Forced Offroad
16th February 2012, 09:40 PM
I boughten self the super cheap auto tube bender.
So I thought I would post some pic's of how it bends.

1st pic is a test run.
You can see the kinks on the inside. The pipe was also a bit distort.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/jbiggsy/86453c0c.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/jbiggsy/6a874c30.jpg

2nd attempt. This was packed with wet sand nice and tight.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/jbiggsy/6975685e.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/jbiggsy/f97fa4c8.jpg

I am getting some decent tubing this weekend and starting my rear bar so will post my process and how I am making the most of this cheap bender.

Bigrig
16th February 2012, 09:42 PM
Top stuff mate!!! Looking forward to seeing the setup for the bar ...

AB
16th February 2012, 09:43 PM
That would be great mate. How much did that set you back?

Forced Offroad
16th February 2012, 09:56 PM
That would be great mate. How much did that set you back?

$120 for the bender mate.... The big things is prepping the tube before hand. As most won't have the tool I have, I'm going to do a test run with basic equipment from around the house.
Will stress prepping the tube is the key, so will sort that out for everyone to get the most out of this cheap bender.

robbo0001
16th February 2012, 10:00 PM
Mate I have been eyeing these off, for a while, will definately keep an eye on your progress.....I never would have thought of wet sand.
Probably just "chuck the sh@ts" with kinked bends, and thrown it over the fence.
Thanks for posting the photos, and keen to see how you progress.
Cheers

Forced Offroad
16th February 2012, 10:35 PM
Mate I have been eyeing these off, for a while, will definately keep an eye on your progress.....I never would have thought of wet sand.
Probably just "chuck the sh@ts" with kinked bends, and thrown it over the fence.
Thanks for posting the photos, and keen to see how you progress.
Cheers

Wet sand is the key, but it also the way you do it... I will still get a few very small ripples on tight bends..BUt the us caused by the dies..... Plus It wont be noticeable once it on the Patrol....

AB
16th February 2012, 10:40 PM
Super keen for more info too mate when you get around to it!

Finly Owner
16th February 2012, 10:42 PM
Watching with interest as we hire those out.

Tim

Forced Offroad
16th February 2012, 10:48 PM
I will keep this thread up but I will link this the DIY section when I start the rear bar...

Also thanks for the decent replies, I posted in another thread on another 4x4 forum and got a few replies saying that it wont possible to get bend without kinks..... this is Coming from a poster who has 1250 post in 7 months of rubbish, seems like he is that bloke at the BBQ that knows everything..(this bloke Has been giving me the Sh1ts lately, so I was fed up with his Rubbish)
So I sent him the pic of the of the near perfect bend for a cheap tube bender... Yet to hear back from....

Forced Offroad
16th February 2012, 10:52 PM
G'day Tim...I've always been keen to drop in to your work to pick one up, but when this came on special it would be cheaper to buy then hire... Sorry mate, but if you know from my build thread Things on my truck take years......I would have had a dozen hire fees before finishing the rear bar.
:smile:

97_gq_lwb
16th February 2012, 10:55 PM
I bought one of those a few years back never really got into like yourself i tried bending a bit of gal pipe and it wasn't right.
Since i have bent a few smaller diameter tubes with slight bends using the right steel and it worked great.
I have been going to make my own rock sliders for a while now so i am interested to see how well it works with the right steel.
Heres some info that might be useful as well.
http://www.rorty-design.com/content/tube_work.htm#Bend%20Allowance%20Calculator

wildgu6
16th February 2012, 11:13 PM
Nice, and only $120, very nice. Practice makes perfect, trial runs not too bad, it will only get better from there.
Cant wait to see the progress on the rear bar. What grades of steel, thicknesses and diameters can is it rated at ???

Forced Offroad
16th February 2012, 11:25 PM
At this stage mild steel tubing, but will see what my metal warehouse carries.... I know he has black steel for pipe, but after tubing not pipe for fabrication.... So when I sort that out will post it up mate.......Im not to clued up on the types of steel, so I dont wont to lead anyone astray...

Rip'n'Shred
16th February 2012, 11:32 PM
Will have to check out supercheap. Cool!

wildgu6
22nd February 2012, 09:00 PM
At this stage mild steel tubing, but will see what my metal warehouse carries.... I know he has black steel for pipe, but after tubing not pipe for fabrication.... So when I sort that out will post it up mate.......Im not to clued up on the types of steel, so I dont wont to lead anyone astray...

Cheers buddy, would be good to know what it can handle, different grades, thicknesses etc, just curious for the future, had a bit to do with steel before painting came back to me. Not by choice hahaha
Will stay tuned,

Cheers Pete

Punderhead
7th March 2012, 10:07 PM
Trick I Learned at work was to spray the pipe and the bender with loads of wd40 so it slides smoother, and won't kink as badly

Cheers!

macca86
7th March 2012, 10:26 PM

What is the difference between tube and pipe. I thought they were the same thing? A pipe benter like that should have a rating of tons on and you work out what it can do from that. Should be able to do 100 OD pipe 3mm wall with the right die.

Sand in the pipe is like mandrel bending stops the wall crushing in.

my third 256
8th March 2012, 10:58 AM
as a plumber we used fine dry foundry sand or paving sand in the pipe is easyer to use
put sand in flows in easy and plug ends offthen bend
and comes out easy as well no wet sand left inside
stephen

pattersd
11th March 2012, 12:03 PM
I bought one of these too so I am watching with interest

Richo460
4th April 2012, 08:46 AM
Hi fellas
as a boilermaker i haveused a few benders and looking to purchase one myself. After looking at a few i see the cheap ones come with how would i say 'low profile' dies that allow the pipe to squash wehn bending, the wet sand is a great idea, not sure if the kids will be happy when you steal all the sand from their sand pit, oh wait its 2012, they have virtual sand pit for the playstation.
The more expensive benders usually come with dies that wrap around the pipe a bit ore to prevent squashing but also get stuck on the pipe after the bend is complete. I was told that the extra light grade pipe is a higher grade (350 i think) steel and is supposed to be stronger that light pipe which is only grade 250. For the money, those cheap benders are great!

Rip'n'Shred
4th April 2012, 10:18 AM
What is the difference between tube and pipe. I thought they were the same thing?

I think that pipe is seamless, whilst tube has a seam, therefore pipe would be stronger. Hence why some use steam pipe for roll cages, sliders, etc as well as extra thickness

NP99
24th March 2013, 01:29 AM
Good to see cheap tools being evaluated too. SC have these on special at times.

sil3nt_dr3ams
8th June 2013, 11:41 PM
Mate baby powder on the dies and the pipe!